Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Facebook.

Seems Polestar have replaced the 11kW cable with a 7kW for the UK Cars. So well done Polestar for listening!

I know some of you might want to see if Polestar will send you one ... I'm not sure, you'll have to contact CS yourself, however legally they don't need to ... it was very clear what they was supplying on the features list. You can't complain you didn't get a Jack/Med Kit then also say but I want a 7kW cable and not the 11kW listed.
However sometimes if you don't ask you don't get. I already have a 32A cable now I purchased myself, so I won't be bothering CS.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
It's the fact it's 32A per phase that's important. The supplied cable is 16A (3.8kW) per phase, so for a home supply or a 7kW charger out and about, they will be single phase electricity which means the cable can still only take 16A or 3.8kW. However if you find a fast a.c. charger, these may be able to supply 11kW, or 22kw or even 44kW a.c. because they use all three phases (i.e. three cables within the cable) at various currents (16A for 11kW, 32A for 22kW and so on). Therefore the maximum the Polestar can take is three phases at 3.7kW each, or about 11kW. However at home on a single phase supply, you'll only get 3.7kW, even from a home charger that can supply 32A or 7.6kW.

Basically to cover both cases, you want a 32A 3-phase cable so you get up to 11kW while out and about, and 7.6kW at home or on 7.6kW (single phase) fast chargers.

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
That might be a 3 phase 32A cable (note the max voltage is listed as 480V). Really need to see one in the flesh to be sure. If it is, then great news because that's a universal option.

It certainly looks chunky enough.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In the UK - 3-phase domestic supplies are very uncommon so 32A 1 phase charging (7kW) is pretty much the standard. There are very few 3-phase AC chargers in the UK (i.e. 11kW or 22kW...and the AC limit for the Polestar is 11kW).

·
Registered
55 Posts
From Facebook.

View attachment 3707

Seems Polestar have replaced the 11kW cable with a 7kW for the UK Cars. So well done Polestar for listening!

I know some of you might want to see if Polestar will send you one ... I'm not sure, you'll have to contact CS yourself, however legally they don't need to ... it was very clear what they was supplying on the features list. You can't complain you didn't get a Jack/Med Kit then also say but I want a 7kW cable and not the 11kW listed.
However sometimes if you don't ask you don't get. I already have a 32A cable now I purchased myself, so I won't be bothering CS.
Mine seems to be a bit 'in-between' - 3 phase but 20A - so a wee bitty more than the 16A cables but still not the full 32A for single phase

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
I think that's the standard cable as supplied to everyone in the UK up till now. I believe (but might be wrong) that the options are only 16A or 32A from a charger's perspective (or maybe the car's perspective), i.e. it won't use 20A and you'll just get 16A as the best the charger/cable/car can agree on. Happy to be corrected though if someone can show the car's display showing 20A with this cable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So if they have changed the cable to 7kw single phase, does that mean that if you buy an untethered home charger you have a ready supplied cable?

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Yes, but they've changed it to 7kw three phase, so all combinations work sensibly now. And you still have to decide if you want the faff of taking the cable out of the car every time you want to charge it at home, and coil up a muddy, wet cable in the boot the next morning - every time.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
We'll just borrow the Zoe's 22kW-capable cable if we know we're going somewhere that has free 7kW chargers as we might as well :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
That was quick....

Good Afternoon Mark,

Thankyou for getting in touch regarding the 32AMP cable.

I can confirm this has now been ordered with Clive Brook Volvo Bradford, they will give you a call when the cable arrives and is ready to collect, this is likely to take around 10 day to arrive.

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Kind regards​

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Wow, that is impressive! I'm not sure whether to request one on principle, but to be honest I don't really need one as we have the Zoe's one for the occasions when we do top up while out and about (there are a few places with 7kW chargers now, including more and more National Trust places).

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Decided to request a swap - I don't need the original cable after all. Thanks for the head-up!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hope you do not get charged £240!?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts