Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Customers now able to take test drives in the UK. Hopefully they will get written up here:

Registered
Posted this separately as did not spot your earlier thread. Got a test drive today in Farnborough. Whole event was a bit 'minimalist' due to Covid but nicely managed. 30 minute drive in 'convoy' of 4, they had done their homework gave me one without the Performance Pack as per my order. Loved every minute. Google assist tech worked 100%, regenerative breaking very effective, easy to learn for first - time BEV driver, power and torque stunning, ride a bit firm but similar to my current Lexus IS300H F Sport so fine for me. Steering spot on, overall chunky, reassuring, substantial feel. Did not disappoint, apart from the fact that I have to wait a month or more before mine is delivered!

Registered
A new luxury EV

Did a test drive today at Farnborough as well. What can I say... a brilliantly judged EV. Sublime detail and finishes - light years ahead of Tesla鈥檚 cheap interiors. The overall drive was superb. Not too many settings to play with, just a really well resolved package that was flat through corners, expertly calibrated throttle and as fast as my old Audi RS4! Panoramic roof was very well solar insulated and gives the cabin a lovely airy feel. Rear legroom is excellent and visibility pretty good too.

Seats sporty but not racy. Cabin a special place to be - the feel of a luxury European marque. Controls and screens very good.

Free collect & return servicing for three years. 8 years battery warranty. Bloody loved it!

Registered
Doing a test-drive in Salford in an hour. Shout if there's any questions you want me to ask or things to check out.
mind needling on how fast software updates would be coming for the varied issues current new owners have already raised (headlights miscalibrated, random charger incompatibility, random warnings being displayed, etc)? And when the app is due to be ready?

Registered
If possible, try to brake hard. I want to know if the transition/blending from motor deceleration to real brakes is smooth or noticable.

Registered
I think the chargers were just ecotricity being garbage, but I'll ask
mind needling on how fast software updates would be coming for the varied issues current new owners have already raised (headlights miscalibrated, random charger incompatibility, random warnings being displayed, etc)? And when the app is due to be ready?

Registered
Test drive done and back home...it was just under 2.5hrs each way. Really glad we did it though. It remained dry during the test which was surprising given the rain before and after. Props to Polestar and the team for the setup in Salford. Lots of consideration given to covid safety, a stylus given to use instead of fingers on screens everywhere. The coffee on offer was actually really nice, to the point we were slightly bummed we forgot to get a second on the way out.

Our test car was Moon with the Performance Pack. The TLDR is it's a great car, loads of fun to drive and I'm very much looking forward to the delivery of my Midnight P*2 with Performance Pack. Can't get here soon enough. All of the questions or concerns from other reviews and comments were in the end, for me, not a concern at all.

Before getting into the full thing, for those who had questions to ask - regarding the app availability, I got the boiler plate 'before the end of the year' but the guy did say lots of people were asking and they had pressed headquarters for a better answer but didn't have anything better. I also mentioned the headlights blinding people and being flashed by oncoming traffic and he indicated that hadn't been an issue for them when driving here in the UK after dark. Apparently there is a setting somewhere you can change to switch between left hand and right hand driving calibration for the lights. Didn't bother to ask about the first OTA update, as it felt like if they didn't have info on the Connect App...I was sure it would be the same for OTA.

I tried to test the regen to braking transition out but there wasn't a good point to do it during the test and you really need a point where you can stomp down on them because the regen braking in Standard is significant. You really can one pedal drive the thing.

I plugged a USB-C cable into the white ringed port and into my Pixel 3 XL and it started charging (but not rapid charging) and didn't get any notification or option popup to select which type of storage device type to use. My 3 XL and my partner's S10 both wirelessly charged without issue.

I think they've found the right balance on easing into the throttle for slow maneuvering in a car park, vs blistering acceleration. There was that fear, it would jump forward as I eased my foot down, but it starts off slow and you do have to give the pedal a proper push before it does it's damnedest to cave in your chest and throw you in the back seat.

Our group was only 3 cars rather than the usual 6, others were running late or no shows, which is a shame given how hard it is for those who want to get a test drive to get a spot. The route took you 15min to The Chill Factor (if you just want to see the cars, hang out in their carpark on a day when they're doing test drives) via the motorway with an opportunity to switch drivers and then back via more city/urban roads. The half way point and starting point were programmed as work and home so even if you got separated from the pack you could make it to both points. The guy behind me complained about the traffic and not being able to open it up like he would have liked but I got to stomp it from a red light and also from 60mph on the motorway and I can't imagine ever wanting or needing more acceleration than that. It was amusement park ride levels of g-forces and resulted in a bout of perma-grin.

Concerns going in and my personal experience with each:
  • Firmness of the ride - My last 4 cars have all been German, but never the sporty version and never with low profile tyres. Part of why I ordered the Performance pack was so I could adjust the dampers all the way to comfort as I do like a smooth ride, but think I'll probably leave them at the default. I steered into bumps and uneven bits and didn't find the ride too firm at all.
  • Centre console comfort - I've seen a few comments about this hitting the non-driving leg for some in an uncomfortable spot. I definitely lean my left leg against the centre section and worried this would bother me. I'm slightly over 6'2" and apparently legs are long enough that the contact point was comfortable. My misses is significantly shorter and didn't have any complaints either.
  • Seat comfort - I saw someone on this forum indicated they wouldn't be getting a P*2 purely based on how uncomfortable they felt the seat was. I can't even begin to imagine feeling the same. Lots of granular seat adjustments and while I've sat in more plush leather seating and sportier bucket seats that hold you in more, I found these seats very comfortable. Without any prompting, it was one of the first things my partner mentioned about the car - how comfortable the seats were.
  • Boot size - We have two good sized Border Collies and while they can both just fit in a 'regular' hatchback boot (fighting each other for space), I wasn't sure about the P*2 boot without seeing it in person. Seems plenty deep and they can either lay down, or face forward and should be able to stand up without issue.
Other general observations:
  • In the backseat, if I sit up very straight my head is solidly touching the roof, but I never sit up that straight and don't plan to spend much of any time back there anyway. I had plenty of leg room and feet fit under the front seat fine.
  • Initial listen to the Harman Kardon system was positive, if a little bright. Given more time I'd turn the treble down a bit but good clarity over all.
  • The foot trigger for the touchless boot lift definitely only works if you have the key on you. It didn't without it but I had no problems with the key in my pocket, triggering it multiple times without having to faff about.
  • The frunk is not very big, and getting to it is just like a traditional bonnet, pulling a lever in the car and then have to find the latch underneath to fully release it. Can't imagine using it much.
  • The front interior, at first, felt slightly claustrophobic and without much visibility, due to the lack of height of the windows and windscreen. I wanted to raise my seat up higher but the beginning of the roof would start to become too prominent in my vision. Probably not an issue for most, and once I got used to it, and focused on the fun of driving, it was a non-issue. Blind spot indicators also help from a safety point of view.
  • The shiny piano black in our test car was already scratched and so between that and it being a fingerprint magnet, seems like the one major misstep with the interior design. As some reviews have mentioned, some scratchy plastics down low but overall the interior felt sufficiently premium. Not quite to the standard of the ipace but certainly not cheap or budget.
  • I asked about the wheel width being different in the front and back and while the guy I was talking with didn't know about it previously, as we were looking at the car, he and I could both tell that the rear wheels definitely sat differently on the rear as compared to the front. Same exact tyres, different width wheels.
  • I'm a bit worried the perf pack seatbelts are going to get grubby over time. Maybe some Scotch Guard will help in the long run.
  • My partner didn't like the turn signal noise at all. I didn't mind it, and we confirmed that you can't, at this time, change it, but they send in all of our feedback and it seems that would be easy enough to make changeable via an OTA update.
  • There really is no body roll. Taking it hard around a round-a-bout at speed and the grip and lack of roll were impressive.
  • In person, on a not so sunny day, Void was far and away the best looking colour. Midnight wasn't nearly as dark as I thought it would be, but happy with having ordered it as I just don't have the patience to keep a black car looking clean. Thunder would be my 3rd choice.
  • Wish there had been a Polestar 1 there to see in person, but no such luck. Seems they have very few of them given such a limited run.
Just to reiterate, on the whole, seems a brilliant car and I absolutely can't wait for mine to arrive (fingers crossed for end of November but realistically probably December). The bits above are nit picks and hardly worth a mention...but hey, that's what these forums are for right? Obsessing over every little detail!

Registered
I think they've found the right balance on easing into the throttle for slow maneuvering in a car park, vs blistering acceleration. There was that fear, it would jump forward as I eased my foot down, but it starts off slow and you do have to give the pedal a proper push before it does it's damnedest to cave in your chest and throw you in the back seat.
It's funny how critics are complaining about this. This is exactly the throttle response I wanted.
My girlfriend as a passenger would hate being bumped front and back because of a twitchy throttle.

Registered
It's funny how critics are complaining about this. This is exactly the throttle response I wanted.
But girlfriend as a passenger would hate being bumped front and back because of a twitchy throttle.
Yeah, exactly, you need to be able to control all that power during 'normal' driving. She's still going to end up with whiplash because you won't be able to resist stomping the accelerator at least once or twice though!

Registered
Great report, thanks!
My wife has XC60 in Denim which is supposedly the same as Midnight. She goes to the car wash and it always comes back looking sharp. I like that color but just sold a blue-gray Frontier, am selling a Kinetic blue Volt, then there鈥檚 hers in the garage, so happily going for Thunder this time.

Registered
I wish I had that problem! Still trying to get an estimated date...
I am in the same position, my Polestar account just says order confirmed but no est delivery date. I spoke to Polestar today and they said it was because it is a Leaseplan order, apparently there is some issue with Leaseplan that they hope to resolve in the next week or two and then a delivery date could be given. They did say this would not delay delivery as my order had been placed with the factory.

Registered
I am in the same position, my Polestar account just says order confirmed but no est delivery date. I spoke to Polestar today and they said it was because it is a Leaseplan order, apparently there is some issue with Leaseplan that they hope to resolve in the next week or two and then a delivery date could be given. They did say this would not delay delivery as my order had been placed with the factory.
Ah, good to know! I'm also with Leaseplan...and it doesn't surprise me at all that there is 'some problem' with them. It took ages for them to sort out their website so I could even submit my order. The salaryplan.co.uk site still has a broken cookie acceptance screen that means you have to accept it on every single page load. If it wasn't for the benefit in kind savings, I'd have sent them packing ages ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts