Polestar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm expecting delivery of my car on Monday, it's my first EV and I don't want to look like a lemon when I rock up at a charger without the right apps/cards/RFID tags etc.

So - what apps / cards do you have, which ones are worth having...which ones do you have for 'emergency use only'? I understand the rules for new chargers are that they must support contactless.

For example - is it worth signing up for Polar Plus at £7.85 a month, or do you tend to pay-as-you go? Are still many that require an RFID tag/card rather than just using an app which could be downloaded for first use?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm in the same boat and I've gone for Electric Highway (for motorway charging), Podpoint as I've got the homecharger from them and Zap-map. Instavolt is all touch charging with no account, so no account required and the only other one is Engenie (now called Osprey), which I think is linking up with Zap-Map, so should be available from that. Not sure I'll ever need the polar network, but you can use contactless for a bit more if its an emergency

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is a benefit to using the Chargepoint app for Instavolt - you can see, in real time, the charging status (how many kW are being delivered / total so far etc) - and you get a pretty graph afterwards.

There's no charge for the app although you do need to initially load it with £10. Personally, I think it's worth it at least until the PS app arrives.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm expecting delivery of my car on Monday, it's my first EV and I don't want to look like a lemon when I rock up at a charger without the right apps/cards/RFID tags etc.

So - what apps / cards do you have, which ones are worth having...which ones do you have for 'emergency use only'? I understand the rules for new chargers are that they must support contactless.

For example - is it worth signing up for Polar Plus at £7.85 a month, or do you tend to pay-as-you go? Are still many that require an RFID tag/card rather than just using an app which could be downloaded for first use?
I have been an EV user for a couple of years (my wife has an i3 that I 'borrowed' regularly) and often do longer trips (100mile+). Of course, I now have my own PS2 to play with.

We have a polar account and generally charge on that using RFID. My local area (Bristol-Bath) has a number of destination chargers on the Revive network, which uses the same Geniepoint network as Morrisons so I have an RFID card for convenience. We go to the continent for holidays in summer so I have a Chargepoint RFID card and the PS-supplied Plugshare card. I have just signed up to Octopus Juice and have received their card, which covers a lot of miscellaneous networks. I also regularly drive in the South Coast/South-West and have a SWARCO card to cover their trunk road network.

So I have a load of RFID cards - for their convenience. I hate apps and the only ones I use (occasionally) are Ecotricity and Pod Point. I could use contactless, but this only seems to work reliably on Ultravolt. Even there I use the Chargepoint card because the cost is the same and I get the convenience of a proper bill at the end of the month.

It depends a lot on what you plan to do in terms of journeys. A typical month (pre-covid) for me sees a meeting in Southampton or Exeter, couple in High Wycombe, up to Lincoln and probably a trip to Sheffield to see family. Plus plenty of runs into Bristol or Gloucester. My card collection covers all of this and I rarely run into problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you are going to Scotland get the Charge your Car app if you haven't got the RFID card. Most of the chargers in Scotland are free to use but to start them you need either the Charge Scotland RFID card (£20.00 per annum) or the app.
If you are going to use the card you need to allow 5-10 working days to get it. I would recommend it if you are going on holiday as there isn't always a signal in parts of Scotland so the app doesn't always work although they usually managed to start it remotely for me if I phoned the helpline.
Zap map is good as it shows which are in use and working.

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
Unfortunately it's only industry guidance about new chargers needing to have contactless, so sadly we're still seeing chargers being deployed that require an app or RFID card, which is madness.

I've had an EV for nearly 2 years and have never used any of the cards I keenly got at the start! But then I only need to rapid charge about half a dozen times a year and at those times I use InstaVolt or Shell Recharge.

So it completely depends on how often you need to rapid charge. If it's more than once per week, then it might be worth signing up with Polar Plus. Any less than that and particularly if you have some flexibility in the choice of chargers, I simply wouldn't bother. But that's personal preference and of course it differs for person to person, business vs personal use, and so on.

·
Registered
68 Posts

So - what apps / cards do you have, which ones are worth having...which ones do you have for 'emergency use only'? I understand the rules for new chargers are that they must support contactless....
My friend is a 7+ years EV driver based in SE England, you can check out his charging subs here: Electric Together (A soft plug I know, but I think it's helpful)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts