Polestar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My PS2 arrived on Monday. Loving the car so far despite annoyance at the software update not being done when the recalls were done and also the water / fog that appears to be in all the lights - front and rear. These couple of issues I can live with and I’d called CS earlier in the week to get these looked at and it was booked in local Volvo for mid Jan, not ideal but I can live with it. For peace of mind I asked them to check the recalls had been done, they then checked with the dealer computer and there is no recalls outstanding.
However, after my commute tonight (23mile journey), I’d stopped to pick the kids up and when I got in to drive the mile home, it wouldn’t let me select a gear, so I was unable to move (fans were whirring away). I decided to get out, lock it and walk away for 10 minutes. This seems to have sorted it and I was able to get home thankfully. Ive called CS and the garage is going to call me tomorrow as I don’t want this happening again over xmas.
Any ideas what will have caused this? Do we think the software update will sort it?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Oh dear... have a look at the Frequently Asked Questions link at the top of the forum list. You need more recall work doing, almost certainly to replace the High Voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) for short. It will leave you stranded at some point in the very near future so I'd get onto Polestar Customer Services and get them to book it in ASAP. When it does properly "go", it will have the fans going like crazy and it will run the 12V battery flat so make sure the collection driver has a 12V jump starter and you know how to access the battery (see thread elsewhere on here).

I'm assuming it threw up an error on the screen too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I feared it was going to be a hardware issue but hoping it was just a software issue!
Display came up with “select D” (or similar), then flashed up with something else, can’t remember what, then just kept going round in circles when I tried to select D.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Hi all. My PS2 arrived on Monday. Loving the car so far despite annoyance at the software update not being done when the recalls were done and also the water / fog that appears to be in all the lights - front and rear. These couple of issues I can live with and I’d called CS earlier in the week to get these looked at and it was booked in local Volvo for mid Jan, not ideal but I can live with it. For peace of mind I asked them to check the recalls had been done, they then checked with the dealer computer and there is no recalls outstanding.
However, after my commute tonight (23mile journey), I’d stopped to pick the kids up and when I got in to drive the mile home, it wouldn’t let me select a gear, so I was unable to move (fans were whirring away). I decided to get out, lock it and walk away for 10 minutes. This seems to have sorted it and I was able to get home thankfully. Ive called CS and the garage is going to call me tomorrow as I don’t want this happening again over xmas.
Any ideas what will have caused this? Do we think the software update will sort it?
Thanks
I had something like this a few weeks back. Not sure if it was just correlation, but I was checking my tire pressures, noted they were low. Then when trying to fill the first one was using a bad pump and ended up further deflating one tire. That then properly kicked off the low tire pressure warning. And when I next tried to turn the car on to drive to where there was a proper air pump, it showed cycling error messages on the driver's display and wouldn't let me put it into gear, forward or reverse. I did as you did - turned everything off, walked away for ~10 min, came back and then the system reset itself and I could operate it normally.
Since then (and refilling the tires!) I haven't noticed anything like that again.

Do you have any other errors/messages being displayed - a la my low tire pressure warning?

I'm chalking it up to a one-time random software error that was solved by power-cycling. I'd wager it's a simple software bug and not something about the hardware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No other error messages, everything has been ok up to now. Hopefully you’re right re software, let’s see what the garage has to say tomorrow!

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
@polerad I don't think you had the fans going mad though, did you?

Fans going mad is a dead giveaway that the HVCH has failed as a low 12V battery or other reasons wouldn't cause the battery coolant fans to run flat out.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
@polerad I don't think you had the fans going mad though, did you?

Fans going mad is a dead giveaway that the HVCH has failed as a low 12V battery or other reasons wouldn't cause the battery coolant fans to run flat out.
Nope - no fans fortunately. One of the error messages that flashed briefly while it was wigging out was a 12V error, but that was just one of many different things the system was cycling through. After the power cycle all has been well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This sounds like the issue I've just had post recall.

See what the car does in the morning. In my case the fans came on immediately after I unlocked my car and were run at high speed randomly until the 12V battery ran out.

I reckon a sensor has failed somewhere and the car thinks it needs to cool down. Unfortunately it kills itself in the process.

I hope that isn't the case for you, but my car had to be taken away on a flatbed for investigation.

I'd put my money on HVCH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This sounds like the issue I've just had post recall.

See what the car does in the morning. In my case the fans came on immediately after I unlocked my car and were run at high speed randomly until the 12V battery ran out.

I reckon a sensor has failed somewhere and the car thinks it needs to cool down. Unfortunately it kills itself in the process.

I hope that isn't the case for you, but my car had to be taken away on a flatbed for investigation.

I'd put my money on HVCH
Ok cheers, what was the outcome? Did it take long to fix?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok cheers, what was the outcome? Did it take long to fix?
Mine did the same, 12v battery went flat and ended up on a flatbed. This was on a Friday evening, had it back about 10 days later having done the recall stuff. You may well need the BCM replacing too as it fries it when the battery goes. It is the HVCH, get it done asap otherwise it will let you down. I have had no further problems since it was replaced and had my first OTA which went fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Confirmed as the HVCH. They reckon it'll be done by COB today. If that's true it'll be 3 days. (1 day was waiting for parts)
That's pretty good. They did my HVCH fairly quickly but had to wait for the inverters. You should get it back all nice and clean for the weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the updates guys. The car fired up fine today and managed a few miles round trip with no issues. Still nervous that’s it’s going to go again. It’s booked in for 31st Dec which is a while off but not sure I’m going to get any improvement on that unless it fails completely and ends up on a flatbed!
3 day turnaround sounds positive though

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the updates guys. The car fired up fine today and managed a few miles round trip with no issues. Still nervous that’s it’s going to go again. It’s booked in for 31st Dec which is a while off but not sure I’m going to get any improvement on that unless it fails completely and ends up on a flatbed!
3 day turnaround sounds positive though
One thing I did prior to all the ag was charge the car from 35% to 99% over about 7 hours. I'm guessing this caused the battery to heat up and perhaps (who knows) this pushed it over the edge.

Perhaps shorter top up charges might be the way to go until yours has been replaced?

I hadn't charged my car for that length of time before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing I did prior to all the ag was charge the car from 35% to 99% over about 7 hours. I'm guessing this caused the battery to heat up and perhaps (who knows) this pushed it over the edge.

Perhaps shorter top up charges might be the way to go until yours has been replaced?

I hadn't charged my car for that length of time before.
Good shout, I had driven the car a little enthusiastically before it happened (within speed limits of course) but i think that may have been the reason the heat had built up. Drove like miss Daisy today so I think I’ll stick with that technique till the 31st.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
A steady charge at home on a 7kW charger will have no measureable effect on the battery's temperature so don't worry about that. Giving it some beans, or braking (and therefore regenerating) hard is what puts heat into the battery. The thing that is faulty appears to be the temperature sensor on the battery coolant which thinks the battery's red hot and so turns the fans on max and stops you driving the car. It's part of the HVCH electronics, hence needing to replace it.

At least that's how I understand it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not had the best of days today...apologies for the lengthy post.
Following up on previous post, car went into Volvo over Christmas and had the software update, I specifically mentioned the HVCH, but they said software would sort it. However, it was New Years Eve and I don’t think they could be ar5ed.
Anyway, it’s been fine up until today.
This morning on the commute I got a warning something along the lines of “External sound system failure. Service required”. Can’t remember exact wording but the car was fine and dismissed it as a bug.
On lunch break, a couple of mins into the drive, this warning popped up again, plus many other warnings inc 12v and then the tortoise of doom! Managed to crawl off a busy road before it totally cut out. No fans going off at any point.
Couple hours later it was taken to the local Volvo and I await an update and a courtesy car.
Frustrating as it should have been sorted in my previous visit (and before it was delivered!). It seems to me that non of the recalls were done prior to me getting the car in early December - definitely not the software or HVCH, so how do I know if the inverters were done?
Love the car, but it’s testing me. How much joy have people had with complaints to Polestar? I feel like saying if it fails on me again they can take the car back but I think it’ll fall on deaf ears.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
I'd definitely raise this as a complaint with CS who do at least acknowledge complaints. Threaten to dump it on the dealer's forecourt and demand a courtesy car until it's fixed and they can provide you with written proof that all of the recalls have been done.

It does seem like there are a few cases though of the 12V battery still going flat though, unrelated to those earlier recalls, and it's just possible that yours was on the point of going flat and finally died during the drive. However there is no way that while switched on, the car should let the 12V battery go flat, so it does indicate a problem in the charging circuitry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts