Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don’t disagree about comms and support, but also understand that when you’re a startup brand with no customers yet these aren’t necessarily the places you put the most investment. As a company, someone else has always done the selling and delivery for them so I’m not surprised that these “new muscle” areas are the ones they’re struggling with. I was also a little shocked at the lack of product knowledge displayed by the Pop-Up retail staff (one insisted that the leather interior was Weavetech), so overall I’d say Polestar has some work to do on the front lines.

That said, I’m also not losing sight of the fact that we’re getting a better-built vehicle that can actually compete with Tesla on dynamics and range, with what is consistently being reviewed as the best HMI in the industry. I guess I’m not super bothered by the fact that some of the “nice to have” features are a couple months behind. I’m sure the team is working overtime to get it done—especially with the free (to us, but not to Polestar) pickup and drop-off service, trust me the lack of OTA updates is not something Polestar wants either.

I also still feel a lot of entitlement in this thread. The car is going to market without an app (don’t know about you, but my current car doesn’t even have an app worth shit) and TheWallaby Is acting like they’re shipping it without seats. Headlights being aimed high from the factory is hardly unique to Polestar. Hell, I ordered a first model year Mercedes once and found out folks were getting a hodgepodge of different steering wheels in delivered cars because demand was so high they decided to just use whatever was in the parts bin rather than wait and build it to spec. So I think we’re a far cry from that kind of nonsense here.

And then the idea that making changes close to delivery wouldn’t bump you to the back of the line? WTF. If you’re a few weeks out from delivery, your car is in port and being prepped for delivery, mate. But hold up, TheWallaby decided he wants his car in Orange now so what we’re gonna do is stop the entire production line and build one special for him even though the paint shop is set up for Purple cars this week, and then we’re going to bump someone else’s car off the boat and delay that person, who ACTUALLY DECIDED WHAT THEY WANTED BEFORE ORDERING A $60,000 CAR, and THAT person will just have to wait another month or two. I’m sure they won’t mind. Unfuckingbelievable.

Look, I get the frustration, but logistically if you’re going to pull this shit, find a car that has thousands of examples already sitting on lots and service centers full of parts so that the world can actually cater to your wishy-washiness the way you need.

By the way, our friend here is looking for sympathy wherever he can find it, peddling his sad story on Reddit as well. Here’s his similar rant on his Tesla if anyone’s interested.

All to say, there’s a bit of a pattern here and I think the problem is as much to do with personality as anything actually going on with Polestar which, while not perfect, I feel is not reason to scream to the high heavens that nobody should be supporting them at this point.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, I'm very used to having an app for my EV and it's especially important with an EV. I'm rather surprised that the app wasn't fully developed long before the car was ready.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's annoying that people think the only two options for all these delays are:
1) Ship it buggy and early
2) Take the time to do it properly, as late as it may be

There's an obvious 3rd option of delivering the features on time! Now I understand, especially with covid, that delays are very common - but the fact that they're announcing this delay THIS late is just stupid. They should have known the app won't be ready weeks/months ago and they're telling people after they're already shipping cars (and people are locked into their purchases)!

The whole communication story from polestar has been horrible. I confirmed my order in June (still says Sept delivery and I know that's wrong) and they've sent exactly ZERO updates to the delivery timeline, when spaces will open (in Canada), when test drives will start, etc.

I get it, things get delayed but people would be a lot less upset if they were transparent and provided meaningful/regular updates on how things are going rather than their standard "happening soon" and "subscribe for updates" which never provide any info.
As much as we might hate to say it, I think this highlights a benefit of Tesla’s (and Apple’s) vertically integrated strategy. For software-hardware interactions it seems most efficient for the software developers to be in house, in close coordination with the hardware developers.

In this case I imagine there’s some amount of Polestar engineers and Google engineers pointing their fingers at each other about whose job it is to do what.
I just hope that Google realizes that if this doesn’t go well there’s little chance of the other OEMs to follow through with including Android Automotive in their platforms. But if they work through the issues well, they’ll have then plenty of business, well ahead of any other 3rd party vendor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It is troubling that Polestar have not learnt from the grumbles of Tesla customers and continue to follow that model, repeating exactly the same errors that upset so many (including me!). They do not have the same luxury of being able to expect their customers to put up with anything just to get hold of their P2, which is how Tesla treated us with the 3. Bad fit and finish, software not working, features missing, well its a Tesla, what do you expect, it does 0-60 in 3 seconds what more do you want???

·
Registered
409 Posts
It is troubling that Polestar have not learnt from the grumbles of Tesla customers and continue to follow that model, repeating exactly the same errors that upset so many (including me!). They do not have the same luxury of being able to expect their customers to put up with anything just to get hold of their P2, which is how Tesla treated us with the 3. Bad fit and finish, software not working, features missing, well its a Tesla, what do you expect, it does 0-60 in 3 seconds what more do you want???
Key difference here is that the hardware seems well done. Correct me if I’m wrong but all the bugs seem related to software - even the 12V battery issue is probably a result of the software’s management of charging that. The headlights just need a different calibration SOP prior to delivery. I’m not hearing of panel gaps, water leaks, seatbelts not attached right, bumpers falling off, suspension fixation nuts coming loose, Home Depot hacks to hold the AC together, etc.

I’ll take a few months delay on fixing non critical software bugs if it means getting something actually screwed together right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think this highlights a benefit of Tesla’s (and Apple’s) vertically integrated strategy.
Not to burst any bubbles, but Apple only (usually) looks that way because they don’t talk about products until they’re about to leave the factory. In many cases, the feature list would look a bit more ambitious 1 year out. The difference between “here’s what we made” and “here’s what we’re going to make.”

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another difference is the wait for the M3 was interminable
No joke. I reserved a M3 during the announcement. Didn’t need a new car but at $30K base with the tax incentives and my trade-in, it was going to be pretty close to a free car that was more environmentally friendly. Canceled the order years later when it became clear they were never going to ship one anywhere near that price point before the tax credits ran out. And here we are now (I’m glad).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Think VW went down the route of their own software, and have had cars (ID3) sitting around waiting for the Software to have competed. At least we get a car that works, but a few niggles which will be corrected shortly.

Volkswagen is delaying the release of certain versions of the all-electric ID 3 because the car’s software isn’t ready, confirming months of reports from German outlets like Sueddeutsche Zeitung and Manager Magazine about the company’s struggle to bring its first mass-produced electric vehicle to market.

People who preordered the “limited edition” version of the electric car will start receiving them as early as next week, according to VW. But customers buying the more widely-available (and more affordable) versions of the ID 3 will have to wait a few months longer. VW will ship some ID 3s in September, but the company’s App Connect infotainment system and the car’s heads-up display won’t be activated until a software update arrives. And VW says it won’t start shipping full-featured versions of the ID 3 until closer to the end of the year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
aren’t necessarily the places you put the most investment.
Communication doesn't require dozens/hundreds of people like design, manufacturing, QC, SW, etc. It just requires having a coherent plan and social media/PR people to convey that and update people when it changes. They already have a pretty responsive twitter presence - but they never convey any actual information through it (unless you consider "We'll have more information soon" and "Subscribe for updates" reasonable answers)

“nice to have” features are a couple months behind
As I pointed out, I understand delays - the point you're not addressing is how they're not COMMUNICATING these delays! Like I said, people are already receiving their cars without these features, they've already committed to their financial contracts, and only AFTER that are they informed "Hey you know that stuff on our website and marketing material, you're not gonna see it for a couple of months." Companies don't realize a feature is going to be MONTHS late a few days ago, they knew about delays that long for much longer in advance - but they don't bother telling people until they get enough people asking what's gong on.

but my current car doesn’t even have an app worth shit
Did your current car advertise it as a feature in their marketing?

I also still feel a lot of entitlement in this thread
I don't consider it to be entitlement to expect a feature a manufacturer is actively advertising to be available when you receive their product (or at least a coherent plan for when it would be available)

[

·
Registered
47 Posts
Calm down. Literally the first thing I said is that the communication isn’t great. (Though I‘m not sure why you think it is so easy - any experience working in a global comms org? It’s hell during a major rollout like this.)

By the time we get these things in NA, it sounds like this stuff is going to be maybe six weeks out. Truly not that big of a deal if accurate. If it doesn’t ship, they’ll be legally liable for not delivering as advertised and that means $$ for us. BTW, phone-as-key disappeared from their main marketing pages months ago, before the press drives started. Not a completely thorough scrub, but they stopped advertising it as a launch feature once they knew it wasn’t ready. Yes, they should have notified existing reservation holders with an email.

But if it’s so upsetting, nobody’s holding a gun to your head about buying the car before the app is ready. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
29 Posts
Literally the first thing I said is that the communication isn’t great.
Yes, if you dismiss my entire issue with the company, everything is great.

I‘m not sure why you think it is so easy
I'm not sure why you think it's so hard. They have an existing distribution list. As you've already stated, they knew features are late, so where does the difficulty appear? The're on twitter and are actively communicating with the public but just not providing any actual information - why not?

By the time we get these things in NA
There are other countries that have already received their cars. Delayed deliveries in NA is the only reason the "gap" between getting the car and the app is smaller.

going to be maybe six weeks out
Assuming they don't delay it further.

phone-as-key disappeared from their main marketing pages months ago
Yes, they should have notified existing reservation holders with an email.
So they knew about it months ago and only now start reporting it? This is exactly why I'm unhappy with it. I'm glad you admit they should have notified reservation holders. So why didn't they?

My frustration isn't with the feature delay. Like I said in my OP, since my confirmation I've received ZERO communication about the status (still says Sept and I'm hearing from others it's probably late Oct/Nov). How are people supposed to be aware of this without reading forums or actively POLLING customer service for information? I've also received no information about when test drives will start, when the space will open, etc.

buying the car before the app is ready.
I don't understand why you keep thinking my issue is with the delay when I've repeatedly states my issue is with their COMMUNICATION and it's been going on for months. As I've already stated, delays are not surprising given the current climate. But there are other instances of communications issues - how many questions do you see about servicing outside of the 150km? What Volvo service locations will be included? Reservation holders aren't getting e-mails about test drives starting and instead see it from people reading forums, etc.

I'm still keeping my order because I don't like any of the comparable vehicles but I'm almost definitely going to lease the car instead of buying it outright so I won't be stuck with it if their customer treatment and support story doesn't improve.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The affect this will have on the general public, after the enthusiasts are satisfied with their allocation. Probably zero.
Try telling your neighbour their customer support is a joke. It ll just sail by his shoulders.

I thought Tesla sales and communications were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Thus their value. It's only reading about Tesla owners on here, I know different.

I have deposit on a Ford mach e from November last year. Lord only knows when that will be arriving. Their comms on par.

So pissed of with polestar I had local dealer try and bodge a towbar into a corsa. No go.

Local VW dealer at me for ages to buy id3. Delivery September. After I suggested, he return my deposit, if he cant make delivery on time, his phone must have broken.

Polestar pretty much lied to me since go. Latest comm was , can i pick up car from bicester or anywhere of your choosing to speed things up. Sorry sir, it has to be delivered to users home
I have no idea, if I can charge the car from "The app" no point asking the people that are selling you the car. They dont know and are prepared to lie.

Maybe i should read the manual.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I asked what the heck “from the end of this year” meant, I was told (via twitter):

“Sorry for our late reply. This may vary depending on the update. For some of them, from the end of this year still means 2020. If you've got further questions, you know we're here, doing our very best in answering them.”

so . . . Some of them this year. . . Maybe.

·
Registered
409 Posts
When I asked what the heck “from the end of this year” meant, I was told (via twitter):

“Sorry for our late reply. This may vary depending on the update. For some of them, from the end of this year still means 2020. If you've got further questions, you know we're here, doing our very best in answering them.”

Wtf
I really hope the person who replied doesn’t have the word “communication” or “customer relations” in their job title because that tweet back contains negative bits of information

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm one of those that subscribed to the newsletter some time ago. My inbox has not been overly stretched as yet. Anybody had anything?
For many of us, the uncertainty and lack of communication creates doubt and lack of confidence. I would prefer definite bad news rather than no news. (Providing of course it isn't too bad!)

·
Registered
409 Posts

This is what I, as an enthusiast and eager beaver customer, interpret from that tweet back.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've been to Sweden. They are very nice folks, and they make some great cars. But their concept of customer service and communications is decidedly different from our expectations in the US. It's a cultural thing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Some great info from an anonymous Polestar source on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Polestar/comments/itdck9/_/g5ek6z6

Seems some cars, but not all, have an issue with the battery warmer for preconditioning - [my speculation] perhaps explaining the 12V or bricking issue affecting a few % of folks?

Also says there are delays related to lack of tow bar availability.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts