Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
2) if there is a known issue, is this a hardware issue?
Support suggested that the download might have gotten corrupted and it doesn't try again if that happens. My commute involves dropping cell service multiple times so it's probably going to continue to be an issue for me if that's what happens.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
1) is there a known issue for some cars being unable to receive OTA updates or is Polestar not pushing updates to some cars for some reason?
2) if there is a known issue, is this a hardware issue? If so, that would justify car going to dealer but if not it appears the solution here would be least inconvenient for all
3) maybe the best solution is to just drive more to ‘catch’ update?
Support over all has definitely been an issue.

There are known issues with some cars not accepting OTA updates. You don't have to drive around aimlessly to get them. If you are going to get them, you will. Cars that can't get it need to go to the dealer for an update and to fix the problem so they can get future OTA updates.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Fascinating write-up. I'm glad to see it all worked. Although I have a feeling that PS might get more than irritated if a bunch of people start doing this. I wonder if you can get the HP download this way?
You can, once it's released to a market. It's the same on the Volvo side for adding Polestar Engineered software to those.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Fascinating write-up. I'm glad to see it all worked. Although I have a feeling that PS might get more than irritated if a bunch of people start doing this. I wonder if you can get the HP download this way?
Get me a part number for the upgrade and I'll try to order it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I looked through things and didn't see it. It's probably a different software for the lights. If I had a VIN from a car that has it enabled I might be able to order it. I don't have such a vin though.
Could you use the VIN of any European car to find out the part number for matrix headlights (software)?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Could you use the VIN of any European car to find out the part number for matrix headlights (software)?
It looks like I can't pull the information on cars from across the pond. I'm guessing it's intentional to stop people from just saying they are in the US to work on cars there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It looks like I can't pull the information on cars from across the pond. I'm guessing it's intentional to stop people from just saying they are in the US to work on cars there.
Even if you could, it's irrelevant, because Volvo/Polestar use a central server to verify the region of a car before software is deployed to the vehicle. That also applies to available hardware options when the car is ordered/assembled. This is how vDash works to communicate and update that server for things like uprating the car from HK to B&W sound system software, so that when Volvo deploys updates to the car it doesn't overwrite the change.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Even if you could, it's irrelevant, because Volvo/Polestar use a central server to verify the region of a car before software is deployed to the vehicle. That also applies to available hardware options when the car is ordered/assembled. This is how vDash works to communicate and update that server for things like uprating the car from HK to B&W sound system software, so that when Volvo deploys updates to the car it doesn't overwrite the change.
There's a software to order to change to EU :unsure:

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Midnight Blue, Charcoal Gray, Pilot, Plus, 19" wheels
106 Posts
This gives me some hope that I could purchase a 3 day license and clear the SOS eCall error code without having to drive 700 miles to have my dealer do it for me. Think it's possible?

·
Registered
686 Posts
There's a software to order to change to EU :unsure:
Correct, you can change the reference market code (31 for the US), but the unintended consequence there is that Polestar (and Volvo) deploy software specific to regions and builds for a particular region. So for example, if you change it to EU market code, you might gain Adaptive High Beams, but you'll lose SiriusXM support. Or another one that's happened on the Volvo side is that the sign recognition goes all haywire.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

So when Polestar/Volvo deploy software the country code is one factor that determines the deployed package, and there's a ton of software module part numbers that are within that. Example:

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

So that's just a long way of saying there's a whole host of potential unintended consequences.

For those interested, I really encourage also testing out vDash on the Polestar.

·
Registered
106 Posts
According to the polestetechhub website, "DiCE will not function with SPA and CMA platform Vehicles. " Isn't our P2 a CMA platform vehicle?

·
Registered
686 Posts
According to the polestetechhub website, "DiCE will not function with SPA and CMA platform Vehicles. " Isn't our P2 a CMA platform vehicle?
It's a CMA vehicle.

What they're saying is that SPA and CMA vehicles no longer use the older CD based system. VIDA replaced that, but you can still use a DiCE unit to communicate with the vehicle. In fact, you have to use that when using vDash with a SPA vehicle. I've done it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's a CMA vehicle.

What they're saying is that SPA and CMA vehicles no longer use the older CD based system. VIDA replaced that, but you can still use a DiCE unit to communicate with the vehicle. In fact, you have to use that when using vDash with a SPA vehicle. I've done it.
All of this is fascinating! Ultimately, if I could get this dang SOS eCall error cleared I would be over the moon.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I guess it might be worth defining terms for people new to Volvo products.

CMA = Compact Modular Architecture, and those vehicles are designed as ICE, PHEV, and BEV, and currently are the XC40, C40, and Polestar 2 (and some other Geely offerings)
SPA = Scalable Product Architecture, and those are designed as ICE and PHEV only, and that's basically all the other current Volvo offerings plus the Polestar 1.

The last platform before SPA and CMA was P3. Those cars (think all of them) were dependent on having what's called a DiCE (Diagnostic Communication Equipment) tool. You then ran a CD based version of VIDA on a laptop that was connected to the car through the DiCE. On SPA and CMA vehicles you don't need the DiCE to interface with the car, and the now web-based, subscription format, VIDA on your laptop. You only need a simple OBD2 to ethernet (or USB) connector, like what I have here:

Font Electrical wiring Cable Eyewear Personal protective equipment

However, you can still connect a DiCE to communicate as a passthrough, and it's needed on SPA cars at least, to do some of the functionality of vDash. The problem is when you get some of he knock-off DiCE, they won't communicate or work at all.

Gadget Networking cables Adapter Electrical wiring Adapter

·
Registered
Midnight 2022 Polestar 2, Pilot, Plus, Barley AWD
6 Posts
Thanks Dark-Fx and JRRF, this is very helpful and greatly appreciated!
A more local space to me (San Diego) is ‘coming soon’ so I will probably wait and get car updated there if this opens in a reasonable time frame.
Also, I’m seeing reports on this forum of recently delivered cars bricking with 1.8 update in US so this will allow some time to see if this is an issue with V 1.8 or just a normal failure rate.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Thanks Dark-Fx and JRRF, this is very helpful and greatly appreciated!
A more local space to me (San Diego) is ‘coming soon’ so I will probably wait and get car updated there if this opens in a reasonable time frame.
Also, I’m seeing reports on this forum of recently delivered cars bricking with 1.8 update in US so this will allow some time to see if this is an issue with V 1.8 or just a normal failure rate.
Someone asked Polestar about this on FB and their response indicated that so far this is not particularly associated with 1.8. Time will tell.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts