Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been given an opportunity to upgrade my mobile phone; Huawei P30 Pro [Android] to the latest iPhone 12 Pro Max. Can anyone give me a definitive answer: I am going to have more issues with the Polestar 2 system with an iPhone IOS compared to an Android phone? Many thanks in advance......

·
Registered
228 Posts
Long time iPhone user here (since the first- sure, call me a fanboy if it makes you happier ;-) ). My current iPhone 12 Pro Max has no issues connecting via BT to the car and the app and DK have both been working reasonably well. Samples size of 1 so far, but all is OK for me. I don't stream audio via BT so all other "integration" is via Google services through the cloud and that also working without issue from iOS/MacOS to the car.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am like @gadgeTT, I am a long time iPhone user (since the 3G model 10 or more years ago). My current model is an iPhone XS and everything works nicely, no issues. I do stream via BT and have no issues, but also have various integrations working via Google services also. I have not had wireless charging issues, it is my understanding that the latest OTA update fixed that but I am not able to verify.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can verify that my iPhone 12 Pro Max (with MagSafe) did not charge on the Qi pad prior to the latest OTA update but now charges without issue. I put in on the pad, get the audio feedback from the phone and see the "phone is charging" icon on the IT display. All is good.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Other than the wireless charging, I've had no phone related problems. Voice calls are crystal clear (in both directions) and the bluetooth streaming has always worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My understanding is that there's very little difference right now but the kicker may come later this year.

Android Automotive seems to not support Android Auto and will not but Apple CarPlay is on the way. So the projection based system will possibly give some good additional functionality with the iPhone but Android users will be lacking until Google/Polestar do an about face and allow Automative to be a target for Auto.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My understanding is that there's very little difference right now but the kicker may come later this year.

Android Automotive seems to not support Android Auto and will not but Apple CarPlay is on the way. So the projection based system will possibly give some good additional functionality with the iPhone but Android users will be lacking until Google/Polestar do an about face and allow Automative to be a target for Auto.
Anyone know if it will be wired or wireless CarPlay?

·
Registered
228 Posts
My understanding is that there is no need for the projection-style Android Auto with Android Automotive as the user is signed into the car directly with their Google credentials and any compatible apps would be made available for direct download to the car. I'm sure there will always be gaps but not of the type between the iOS ecosystem and AA that CarPlay would help fill. Everything that I've heard is that it will be wireless CP, but nothing is confirmed yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The world is divided in four types of people:
Tesla fans versus non-Tesla fans, combined with, Apple fans versus Android fans.
I must be OLD... I remember when the tech wars were Mac vs. Windows. Fortunately the iPod vs. Zune skirmish was amicably solved and the PocketPC vs. Palm vs. Newton battle ended with a whimper (although that one still stings as I was and always will be a rabid Newton fan).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I must be OLD... I remember when the tech wars were Mac vs. Windows. Fortunately the iPod vs. Zune skirmish was amicably solved and the PocketPC vs. Palm vs. Newton battle ended with a whimper (although that one still stings as I was and always will be a rabid Newton fan).
Hello fellow OLD. Can't forget Blackberry/RIM vs Palm vs Windows Mobile/CE!

I used to have an old HTC Smartphone from the Windows Mobile days, stylus and all. Funny that I now have a Note 20U...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello fellow OLD. Can't forget Blackberry/RIM vs Palm vs Windows Mobile/CE!

I used to have an old HTC Smartphone from the Windows Mobile days, stylus and all. Funny that I now have a Note 20U...
I am still using my Psion 5MX. I can't begin to tell you the trouble I had trying to sync that up with the Polestar 2. Customer Services did not have a clue...............................:)

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you have phone as key issues with your current phone, I'm pretty certain you will also have issues with an iPhone, there is a persistent problem for some users which is a fault on the part of the car. For many of those people (myself included) the solution requires a workshop visit at the moment although I also hear that they are testing an OTA deliverable solution.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you have phone as key issues with your current phone, I'm pretty certain you will also have issues with an iPhone, there is a persistent problem for some users which is a fault on the part of the car. For many of those people (myself included) the solution requires a workshop visit at the moment although I also hear that they are testing an OTA deliverable solution.
Could you be more specific as to which key issues you mean? Is it the frequent need to "activate" the key? Or the inability to pair?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Could you be more specific as to which key issues you mean? Is it the frequent need to "activate" the key? Or the inability to pair?
I'm sure they're working on the inability to pair issue, but I was talking about the need to re-activate. The connection can be made then it stops working anything from 30 minutes to a couple of hours later.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm sure they're working on the inability to pair issue, but I was talking about the need to re-activate. The connection can be made then it stops working anything from 30 minutes to a couple of hours later.
Thanks! Sounds similar to my issue... maybe I'll ping CS and see what the on-site service is like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts