Polestar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Magnesium NP 19” Tow
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry this should have gone in the Range and Charging Discussion, but can't see how to move it.
Hi everyone - first post, but I've been lurking for a while, and ordered a few weeks ago.
I used to own a PHEV C-class and had a 3.7kW Rolec wallpod installed back in 2016. I obviously want to get an upgrade to a 7kw, and I'm hoping some of the Electrical Engineers/Knowledgable ones on here might advise how much of a job that is.
Photos of the consumer unit fuse and the fuse on the wallpod are below. Obviously I'm dearly hoping that replacing these is all that needs doing. Also a copy of the install certificate if that helps? I know that the thickness of the cables used is also a factor.
TIA - clearly will get a pro in to confirm, but just want to understand the likely scale of the job - full replacement or just tweaking!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Moved to the right place :).

·
Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
What matters is the size of the cable, method of installation, and how long it is.

Is it tethered / untethered?

Anyway, you sure that's a 3.6kW Rolec charger? It has a 40A breaker in it... which would suggest it is 7.2kW

·
Registered
Magnesium NP 19” Tow
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @stevelup - it's untethered and i have an ohme cable on the way so no issues there. Any pointers on what to look for to understand re installation etc. I guess I might just have to wait and see what I get when the car arrives.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Thanks @stevelup - it's untethered and i have an ohme cable on the way so no issues there. Any pointers on what to look for to understand re installation etc. I guess I might just have to wait and see what I get when the car arrives.
Not really , you really need to get an electrician around to look at the previous install and work out what you have and what needs updating.

As Steve mentioned it looks like it was all 32A anyway ... personally I'd like have seen a 40A on the main board - get the spark to check that's ok at 32A. So what might have happened is that it's already 7kWh ready but maybe the last car or cable, or even the Rolec charger was restricting to 16A, hence the 3.7kw charge rates.

It's almost impossible to make assumptions on the net about an electrical install, so I really do recommend getting an Electrician to take a look at it all.

Reactions: Mick and rgledhill
1 - 8 of 8 Posts