Polestar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I found photos of the EA chargers by manufacturer on the insideevs.com site. I'll post them here for reference. Of course I'm hoping it doesn't matter anymore after the next OTA update.

Here is the Signet that currently doesn't work with Polestar 2's on the November software:

Here's the ABB that I know works:

Here is the BTC Power that I've never used:

And here is a 4th manufacturer that I've also never used - Efacec:

Hopefully this helps someone!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Great! Thank you.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was impressed with Electrify America (ABB type) and it will be a good day when more of them roll out into Northern NE where I vacation. Right now a first time 300 mile drive up to northern VT and Maine looks like it could be stressful.

When DC charging, what AMP setting should we use? Mine came set at 24 Amps. Will it charge slower if I leave it there? Should we increase it to max?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was impressed with Electrify America (ABB type) and it will be a good day when more of them roll out into Northern NE where I vacation. Right now a first time 300 mile drive up to northern VT and Maine looks like it could be stressful.

When DC charging, what AMP setting should we use? Mine came set at 24 Amps. Will it charge slower if I leave it there? Should we increase it to max?
You only need to worry about that setting for AC charging (my home charger is 30A output, so I've left it there). Shouldn't matter for DC fast charging.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I increased mine to max (48A because my home charger can do 50) but as @PolestarMG says I don't think it matters what it is set to for DC charging. Depending on battery SoC, temperature, etc. the DC charging maxes out at 150kW and because it is charging at 400V, just doing the math (P = IV => I = P/V) 150kW / 400V = 375A. So since there is no way to set the charging current limit above 48A, it must be only for AC charging. At least that's how I think it works.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,554 Posts
Correct, on a DC charger the car and charger will decide between themselves how fast they can charge.

·
Registered
California
225 Posts
This is a tangent, but. There are many ways the Electrify America iOS app is subpar (there’s a weird box that I don’t think is meant to be floating away from the bottom, but it does so on most contemporary iPhones. several of its icons are not retina, despite not even existing when pre-retina iPhones were a thing! and don’t get me started on the signup experience sheesh).

But of all of them, can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that while it received ~6 updates throughout the year 2020, “vehicle profile”’s drop down choice of years has “2019” as the newest possible vehicle model year.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,374 Posts
I tried out a couple EA chargers today. Ultimately able to charge at each and notably avoided the one Signet I know in the area (Roseville just East of Sacramento)

this was the first time I was able to get the charge going by app. Before I could only get it going via physical credit card swipe. So it seems things are improving.

one weird thing happened at one charger (16&L Sacramento), charging went fine initially but then started interrupting without apparent reason. After trying to restart a couple times only for interrupting after 2-3kWh I switched to a different station which then went fine. Not sure if that was the specific charger’s issue, something with Polestar or what. I take this stuff in stride but I can see how this would limit EV adoption for others. We need plug and charge and overall more charger/EV communication reliability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts