1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
65 Posts
With the exact same powertrain in the XC40 Polestar would be foolish not to rely on the Volvo dealer network to support the P2.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The XC40 is a Volvo. Polestar is a separate company that doesn't necessarily have access to Volvo dealers in the US because of franchise laws. There has been tremendous push back from dealers in the US and no agreement I've heard of.

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
868 Posts
With the exact same powertrain in the XC40 Polestar would be foolish not to rely on the Volvo dealer network to support the P2.
Conversely, it’s pretty silly how much of a tantrum some US Volvo dealers are putting up over this even now. Polestar is motivated to have the Volvo dealer network service polestars. As is many dealerships make higher margins on service rather than sales. Volvo is getting the XC40 and future BEV versions of current models, built on the same platform as Polestars. Currently many Volvo dealers seem less interested in selling EV compared to ICE.

so why wouldn’t they want to just get the service contracts and not deal with selling the EVs? At this point seems they’re cutting off their nose to spite their face.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Au contraire. They are unhappy with the entire online EV model. They still want to sell cars, and they can't sell Polestars. And as you stated, they really prefer to sell ICEs -- because they are the ones that need more service. They see their entire business model eroding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Timely thread JRRF.
As it happens, my wife needed something fixed on her XC60 today so went to the Central Upstate NY dealer franchise we’ve both bought and serviced Volvos at (about 60 mi away). When she mentioned to the service manager that “my husband is getting a Polestar 2 soon,” she said his eyes got big and she could feel if not see the broad smile under his mask. He said he was Real Interested in seeing one of these up close, and while it was not done yet, they were definitely planning on becoming a service site for Polestar. Naturally, they already sell and service all the other EV hybrid Volvos so have no problem with the idea of taking on Polestar also. Apparently, the fact that they are a franchise may be different than a dealer per se. I am not identifying them at this time, cause I really want this to happen, so don’t want to screw up any deals that are getting settled. Certainly, I’ll let you know when I have confirmation.
This is excellent news for me, although I was pretty certain this would happen sooner or later. I guess I will have to make the trip over to show off when it gets here! 🎂

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure hope you're right.

Today I got an email to reserve an XC40 Recharge. if you had hid the name and the pictures, I would have sworn it was for a P2. The pitch and the specs are nearly identical.

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
868 Posts
I sure hope you're right.

Today I got an email to reserve an XC40 Recharge. if you had hid the name and the pictures, I would have sworn it was for a P2. The pitch and the specs are nearly identical.
Reserve or confirm? I have a preorder I put in at the same time as the P*2 (Jan 2020).

They're basically the same car. Same platform. Same drivertrain/battery. And same project manager.

Look at the safety video for Polestar 2 (8:00):

and the intro of the XC40 recharge reveal video:

One's just a lifted wagon version of the other.

Key difference: XC40 has 2 cup holders in the center console :D
[but seriously, if they can fit them in the XC40 they could've in the P*2...]

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reserve or confirm? I have a preorder I put in at the same time as the P*2 (Jan 2020).

They're basically the same car. Same platform. Same drivertrain/battery. And same project manager.

Look at the safety video for Polestar 2 (8:00):

and the intro of the XC40 recharge reveal video:

One's just a lifted wagon version of the other.

Key difference: XC40 has 2 cup holders in the center console :D
[but seriously, if they can fit them in the XC40 they could've in the P*2...]
Reserve

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How many people have bought the Extended Service Contract? Do you all think its a good deal?
There is no such thing as a service contract that's a good deal. They are designed to be a good deal for the seller. If you get a lemon it might work out, but over the course of all the cars you may own you'll make out better by putting that money away and using it whenever necessary. For an EV a service contract is even more useless since the cars require almost no maintenance and have fewer parts to break. One of the reason dealers are not keen on EVs is that most of their profit comes from service. That profit center shrinks considerably with EVs.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Exactly right. Actuaries spend their entire professional lives calculating odds against you. A wise friend of mine, decades ago, explained all this to me and said you should always self insure for as much as you can. I won't be thrilled if I need to spend $4000 out of warranty, but, if necessary, I can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts