Polestar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those in the US who are trading a vehicle in, has anyone confirmed that the value shown on the website is net of the payoff amount? That's what Shari (NYC Space) told me, and if so, it's a fair offer. But the website (surprise, surprise!) is not terribly clear on this and I don't want to go too far down the road with a trade-in if it's not net of the payoff (in which case their offer would be well below market).

·
Registered
89 Posts
While I know there have been irregularities with lease information, etc. My trade in information seems correct and is reflected correctly on the web site. I'm not sure what you mean be "the value is net the payoff amount" They offered me $34k for my car and the payout for the P*2 reflects that correctly. I will be talking with Shari tomorrow or Monday to go over many things. One key thing for me (in Florida) as well as you, is where do we turn the trade-in in? If I have the P*2 shipped to me, do I have to ship my trade-in to NYC? It would be so much nicer if they were working with the Volvo dealers in the US.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The trade-in value I was offered was accurate (and more than fair), reflecting the actual amount credited for my trade-in. The rest of the website math was all over the place and changed frequently. Once I was in direct contact with the actual retailer, they provided me with the full breakdown that matched what I experienced at delivery.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For trade-ins; we are having our car delivered to Ohio and were told we would have to pay shipping for our trade-in to ship it to the NY space. Since it was an older (2008) car, we just ended up selling it to Carvanna; very easy and they gave a fair offer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I mean is, say I have the following situation:

$25,000 - FMV
5,000 - payoff amount
———-
$20,000 - equity applied to deal

Is what Polestar is quoting me the equity (which is what Shari claimed) or the FMV?

And, yes, @ScottM & @KRS - would be good to know about how the trade-in is being done from outside NY. I intent to make the argument that they’ll have an empty spot on the truck, perfect for taking my trade-in, but we’ll see...

·
Registered
89 Posts
What I mean is, say I have the following situation:

$25,000 - FMV
5,000 - payoff amount
———-
$20,000 - equity applied to deal

Is what Polestar is quoting me the equity (which is what Shari claimed) or the FMV?

And, yes, @ScottM & @KRS - would be good to know about how the trade-in is being done from outside NY. I intent to make the argument that they’ll have an empty spot on the truck, perfect for taking my trade-in, but we’ll see...
Now I got it, thanks, I can be a little slow... One thing to consider on the trade-in is the tax benefit of trading in. I my case above, I would pay Florida sales tax on the $28,400 sale price, instead of the full $62,400. FL sales tax is 6%, so it is a $2,040 "tax savings" that needs to be considered against the other logistics cost. This was discussed at length in another thread.

All that said, since so many people are moving to FL from NY, and many snowbirds ship their cars down for the winter, it makes sense that there is excess capacity from FL to NY (kinda going through ATL) so the return should be much cheaper. I will likely talk with Shari on Monday and will let the forum know anything I find out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I too was told by NYC that I'd be responsible for shipping costs to get them my trade in. It's a break even proposition in my case since (presumably) the value of the trade in lowers the taxable amount of the sales price when I compare their offer to a Carvanna quote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts