Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
So do you still believe this above statement you made is true or can you not apply for the tax credit if vehicle is delivered between the time the President signs the bill and 12/31/22?
Based on the proposed bill in its current draft form, it seems as though the those who receive a written sales order AFTER the date of enactment (date bill is signed) will not be eligible to receive the $7,500 tax credit. To claim the 2023 tax credit, one would need to have a vehicle contracted/delivered in 2023; in which the Polsetar 2 would not be eligible and excluded due to reasons outlined prior to this response =/. Really just echoing Maureen's and Cephas' answer.

Again, this is just from a couple of people on a forum interpreting the bill in its current draft form, but it's why many have expressed this bill is frankly stupid, or restrictive and counterproductive, to say the least.

Until the finalized draft is signed, it's business is usual. I remain cautiously optimistic that the bill will not exclude any vehicle contracted/delivered in 2022, irrespective of date of enactment. When the bill will be signed is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank you for your explanations....much appreciated!! If this bill is signed before my car is delivered I very well may cancel. So close to delivery....probably under 2 weeks away.
I'd rather be in your position as you are more likely to receive the current EV tax credit. As Improvius stated, keep tabs on your delivery and stay in touch with your dealership to get a written sales order/purchase agreement drafted and signed ASAP, but understand they are legally restricted as to how soon that can happen without a vehicle to deliver. Best of luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd rather be in your position as you are more likely to receive the current EV tax credit. As Improvius stated, keep tabs on your delivery and stay in touch with your dealership to get a written sales order/purchase agreement drafted and signed ASAP, but understand they are legally restricted as to how soon that can happen without a vehicle to deliver. Best of luck!
I sent an e-mail to the space...I'm curious how they are going to handle this issue...I'm going to guess that they have no idea

·
Registered
220 Posts
End of 386 / start of 387:

"in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act"

But I think you are missing one of the key points here. If you ordered before the enactment of the bill you are still eligible for the current credit.
Yes, but by ordered they want a signed contract...Polestar doesn't give you a signed contract. And yes I read the bill the same way you did, but Improvius interprets it differently..pretty much saying anything built outside of the US after it is signed doesn't qualify

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I sent an e-mail to the space...I'm curious how they are going to handle this issue...I'm going to guess that they have no idea
Given the confusion that exists about this on all parties - consumers, OEMs, dealers, probably even the gov't writing the rules - it sucks our legislative process is so broken that the only way to get things done is a rushed 700+ omnibus bill incorporating minimal input and deliberation, that they're trying to get passed in a matter of weeks or even days.

I'm guessing/hoping there will be amendments, modifications, and maybe even an executive order or two to clarify the situation going forward.

Reactions: Ale

·
Registered
220 Posts
As close as you are to delivery, you should probably check with your dealer about getting a written purchase agreement as soon as possible just to be safe. Do you have a VIN number already?
Here is my response from the Space/Dealer:
You are protected by your deposit so your polestar as well as any other polestar that get ordered towards the end of this year will still be eligible. Since your delivery is later this month nothing will change. However there is is no writing protection on it but Polestar HQ told us directly that we would still be eligible.

What do any of you make of the response???

I'm not sure what to believe anymore....I do see that it is effective on cars delivered after 12/31/22 but the very next line adds an exclusion starting the date that the bill is enacted....like more than one person was writing the bill with different ideas as to when it should start but didn't bother to consult each other.....What do any of you make of the response???

·
Registered
‘23 LRDM, Pilot, Midnight, Zinc, ordered 6/2022
74 Posts
Then why is this a headline for the Washington Post:
Democrats race to ready Inflation Reduction Act for vote this week
This is about the Senate vote, not the House. Also good to keep in mind that there’s many a slip between the cup and the lip. Sounds like there may be some pretty significant Dem concerns about the Senate bill as currently written, not to mention there will be no Rep votes for it, which is why they’re using reconciliation and therefore will need all 49 Dems and Sanders to be on board.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here is my response from the Space/Dealer:
You are protected by your deposit so your polestar as well as any other polestar that get ordered towards the end of this year will still be eligible. Since your delivery is later this month nothing will change. However there is is no writing protection on it but Polestar HQ told us directly that we would still be eligible.

What do any of you make of the response???

I'm not sure what to believe anymore....I do see that it is effective on cars delivered after 12/31/22 but the very next line adds an exclusion starting the date that the bill is enacted....like more than one person was writing the bill with different ideas as to when it should start but didn't bother to consult each other.....What do any of you make of the response???
Then why is this a headline for the Washington Post:
Democrats race to ready Inflation Reduction Act for vote this week
I can truly appreciate and empathize with your frustration around the whole thing. It seems as though you can't get a straight answer anywhere, so if I were in your position, I'd proceed as conservatively as possible without the expectation of receiving a tax credit. You may cancel your order and receive your deposit right up to the moment before signing should this turn out to be the case, but keep your order for the time being. You're so close!

And since there is a limited supply and high demand for the vehicle, I'm sure the dealership wouldn't care if you canceled as they'd have no issues selling it. The only person that stands to lose out of all of this is the consumer, unfortunately. And on a larger scale - the automaker - should more people decide to cancel and others decide not to consider the Polestar altogether.

Until the bill is signed, it's business as usual. Will there be any amendments to the current draft? Time will tell, but you can always back out up to the last minute. Please don't take this as me being rude, this is just my 2¢.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can truly appreciate and empathize with your frustration around the whole thing. It seems as though you can't get a straight answer anywhere, so if I were in your position, I'd proceed as conservatively as possible without the expectation of receiving a tax credit. You may cancel your order and receive your deposit right up to the moment before signing should this turn out to be the case, but keep your order for the time being. You're so close!

And since there is a limited supply and high demand for the vehicle, I'm sure the dealership wouldn't care if you canceled as they'd have no issues selling it. The only person that stands to lose out of all of this is the consumer, unfortunately. And on a larger scale - the automaker - should more people decide to cancel and others decide not to consider the Polestar altogether.

Until the bill is signed, it's business as usual. Will there be any amendments to the current draft? Who knows, but you can always back out up to the last minute. Not trying to be rude, but this is just my 2¢.
I appreciate yours and any responses! The senate is in session today and tomorrow and then not again until September 6th....so as long as they don't rush a vote and pass it tomorrow I should be in the clear.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I appreciate yours and any responses! The senate is in session today and tomorrow and then not again until September 6th....so as long as they don't rush a vote and pass it tomorrow I should be in the clear.
For what it's worth, I also spoke to Polestar Financial, and the response I got was basically to keep our fingers crossed. The gentleman I spoke with also said Polestar would be communicating any changes (due to this bill) to dealerships who would then let us know (hopefully). And to negate myself to proceed cautiously, who knows! Maybe Polestar will reduce the price of the vehicle to compensate. Perhaps wishful thinking, but hey, glass 1/2 full. Or as excel would say, glass January 2nd. 😜

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aw, be kind. Bezos needs the money :ROFLMAO:
This bill sems to favor GM, Ford and Tesla if they source batteries other than the China sourced ones in the low end model 3 and can get the model Y seen as an SUV which it is not. All companies that are doing well and don't need help. All other EVs are mostly disqualified after this bill goes into effect so it promotes American made EVs but does not support Electrification of the fleet in general....which was one of the primary goals.

61 - 80 of 190 Posts