Polestar Forum banner
101 - 120 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
‘23 LRDM, Pilot, Midnight, Zinc, ordered 6/2022
74 Posts
This likely doesn’t change things for those of us in the P2 queue, but it is an improvement in how the credit works.

from Bloomberg:
  • The credit is now assignable to a car dealer so that buyers can use the credit as part of their down payment or as cash back from the dealer. This could function like a “point-of-sale” rebate and would make it easier for many EV buyers as the tax credit will reduce the upfront cost of the EV. That’s different than the current EV tax credit that requires buyers to wait until filing their taxes in the following calendar year to receive the value of the EV credit. This assignment of the credit is also a potential solution for car buyers that have less than $7,500 tax liabilities as the EV credit can reduce one’s tax liability but is not refundable

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unlikely to happen - the House isn’t in session until September 13.
Mea culpa - WaPo reporting House will come back into session Monday if IRA passes Senate on Saturday. So, I’ll remember to breath and be grateful. Life is good. Having a Polestar would be nice, but hardly necessary. Doesn’t mean I don’t want it, though :cool:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mea culpa - WaPo reporting House will come back into session Monday if IRA passes Senate on Saturday. So, I’ll remember to breath and be grateful. Life is good. Having a Polestar would be nice, but hardly necessary. Doesn’t mean I don’t want it, though :cool:
So does that mean you will cancel your order if Polestar doesn't give you a written sales agreement so you qualify for the tax credit for the car that you committed to already? I have contacted Polestar corporate with a contact request and so far no response.....so either 1)no one is reading the emails/contact forms 2) they are waiting for the bill to pass to respond ( why be prepared) or 3) They just don't care and the tax credits aren't their concern

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I understand the chatter, but have trouble with all of this. As a famous bard once said: "Much ado about nothing".

EV tax credits from here on out (except 2023 until the localization requirements hit in 2024) will just be applicable to a couple of brands, and the market will adjust accordingly. Other manufacturers will offer product without the tax credit with competitive pricing offset by savings from not having to adhere to the credit’s restrictions. Sigh.
This is the most salient point so far. Chevy did exactly this with the Bolt as soon as they hit the 200K cap.

Though I don’t think their target consumer would waiver with or without the tax credit; just a ‘nice to have’ bonus.
This is also on the money (pun intended). If you are buying a 50-60K car, you don't need a tax credit. And if you do, buy something cheaper. The person who can barely afford a 20K car needs the break.

Yes, so we will see and hope for the best. Just frustrating that there was a chance to seriously incentivize widespread adoption and it is now constrained and convoluted.
If you are interested in electrification for environmental sake, tax credit or not you are going to get an EV. If you are just looking for a land rocket, go back to a cheaper ICE. Adoption has been mainly by upper middle class folks on up. That market is not going away. The only way to really incentivize widespread adoption is to make it easier for people down the economic ladder to get an EV. No one looking at a Polestar falls into that category.

Hence why this bill is so restrictive and would dissuade some from purchasing an EV altogether.
It's not going to dissuade anyone who really wants an EV. If you can afford a P2 you're going to get it. And if you can't and really want an EV, there are less expensive options. That's where people on the cusp belong. The P2 was a little bit of a stretch for me, but honestly now that the market has opened up, my next EV will likely be something cheaper. Will it be as fast or drive as well? Probably not. But my primary concern is "EV". And that's what this new bill is designed to address.

oddly its called the Inflation reduction act but signing it immediately increases the price on most currently available EVs thus adding to inflation....ah progress!!!
So you not getting a tax break increases prices???? When Jeff Bezos' taxes go up because of new legislation does he cry inflation? I think not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Easiest thing for them to do is to change "Final Assembly" to Port in the US.
All it requires is tossing a "component part necessary for the mechanical operation of the vehicle" into the car at Port and having the Space install it during the pre delivery service. Could be as simple as a fuse. If the fuse is required for operation of the vehicle and it is placed in the car at Port (doesn't have to be installed there) the Port becomes the final assembly location.

‘‘(5) FINAL ASSEMBLY.—For purposes of paragraph (1)(G), the term ‘final assembly’ means the process by which a manufacturer produces a new clean vehicle at, or through the use of, a plant, factory, or other place from which the vehicle is delivered to a dealer or importer with all component parts necessary for the mechanical operation of the vehicle included with the vehicle, whether or not the component parts are permanently installed in or on the vehicle.’’.​

·
Registered
221 Posts
All it requires is tossing a "component part necessary for the mechanical operation of the vehicle" into the car at Port and having the Space install it during the pre delivery service. Could be as simple as a fuse. If the fuse is required for operation of the vehicle and it is placed in the car at Port (doesn't have to be installed there) the Port becomes the final assembly location.

‘‘(5) FINAL ASSEMBLY.—For purposes of paragraph (1)(G), the term ‘final assembly’ means the process by which a manufacturer produces a new clean vehicle at, or through the use of, a plant, factory, or other place from which the vehicle is delivered to a dealer or importer with all component parts necessary for the mechanical operation of the vehicle included with the vehicle, whether or not the component parts are permanently installed in or on the vehicle.’’.​
If what you say is true that would be a pretty big loophole

·
Registered
74 Posts
So does that mean you will cancel your order if Polestar doesn't give you a written sales agreement…?
Nope, not at all. I’m going to wait to see what, if any, impact this has on a September/October 2022 delivery. If it makes the car unaffordable, then I’ll move on having enjoyed my experience of anticipating the car for the last two months. At this point, though, I’ve not seen a reliable analysis that concludes that this will impact 2022 deliveries, not to mention that no one has seen the final version of the bill yet because it doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

so, say, putting temporary wheels/tires for transport and switching to the proper wheel/tire set at the Charleston factory or the LA port would qualify? Does this mean we finally get all seasons for the 19” spec??

if so, yeah giant loophole, but seems “whether or not the component parts are permanently installed in or on the vehicle” is kind of an opening that was purposefully left there.

given we get LG Chem batteries, sourced from S Korea, a qualifying free trade partner, then it’s a question of the MSRP and income caps about whether polestar customers apply

·
Registered
28 Posts

Yeah. So this bill is designed to kill EV incentives in the US. Even the Congressional Budget Office estimates only 11,000 buyers would qualify for the incentive in 2023. Although, if the polestar 2 didn’t qualify when I took delivery (a couple weeks ago) I would have got a Tesla so I guess from that perspective the bill would be effective in what it is meant todo.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Apparently this was just changed....CBS new article on Parliamentarian changes made to bill:

She approved a provision requiring union-scale wages to be paid if energy efficiency projects are to qualify for tax credits, and another that would limit electric vehicle tax credits to those cars and trucks assembled in the United States.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Apparently this was just changed....CBS new article on Parliamentarian changes made to bill:

She approved a provision requiring union-scale wages to be paid if energy efficiency projects are to qualify for tax credits, and another that would limit electric vehicle tax credits to those cars and trucks assembled in the United States.
Nope, not a change. The Parliamentarian doesn’t make changes directly. She rules whether provisions conform with the arcane rules around reconciliation. If they don’t, they get tossed. In the case above, she ruled that the provisions conform so they stay in as written.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It doesn't sound like the P2 really does much for you if a TM3 would suffice.
Wow. What’s up with all the TM3 hate around here. Both are great cars; either would “suffice” for me.

They both have their own pros/cons and my P2 with the tax credit is slightly more expensive than a SR+ TM3 but it also has dual motors/AWD vs single motor/RWD, looks better, and will get here sooner. The TM3 LRDM is a bit more expensive than the P2 w/tax credit and is backordered a year+. Now, take away the tax credit and all the TM3 are cheaper then the P2 and if Tesla ends up qualifying for a tax credit in 2023 then the price difference could be over 10K.

IMO, your crazy if your willing to spend 10K more for a P2 than a comparable TM3. Both cars are great and come with their own set of pros/cons.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's not going to dissuade anyone who really wants an EV. If you can afford a P2 you're going to get it. And if you can't and really want an EV, there are less expensive options. That's where people on the cusp belong. The P2 was a little bit of a stretch for me, but honestly now that the market has opened up, my next EV will likely be something cheaper. Will it be as fast or drive as well? Probably not. But my primary concern is "EV". And that's what this new bill is designed to address.
Right, but I'm not just talking about people who can afford to blow money on a luxury EV. For the average, budget minded consumer that just needs a good car for a good price- probably so, even if they really wanted an EV.

As you mention, there are more inexpensive ICE options than EV's currently. So, for those on the cusp, knowing they wouldn't qualify for the EV tax credit for one reason or another, I believe it would dissuade them (e.g. ~30k Tiguan vs ~37.5k ID4).

Edit: just IMO of course. And you know what they say about opinions...

·
Registered
221 Posts
And I guarantee not everyone will agree on wtf they enacted.
Any comments on Polestar and the final bill....I like the effective date being applied to cars delivered after 12/31/22 but the following line which states Final assembly rule is effective as of signing the bill. Maureen or anyone else care to comment on what this means for cars ordered before the signing of the bill and delivered before the end of 2022?

·
Registered
28 Posts
This alone would dissuade me from ever buying a TM3. I have to look at my car every day.
I guess the difference between you and me is I don’t believe the P2 looks 5K, possibly 10K better than a TM3. Then again, if we are talking 5-10K difference but everything is essentially a wash except the look I really don’t care what they look like I’m gonna save me 5-10K.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just about every manufacturer is already looking for ways to get around this.
So as the bill is written do you read it as any cars not assembled in North America are disqualified as of signing of this bill? Most are saying that this only applies to the new tax credits starting 1/1/23 and not cars delivered in 2022

101 - 120 of 190 Posts