Polestar Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow that is good to know, i am actually looking to buy a replacement policy from a 3rd party but if they pulled that BS on me I would be pissed. What was the cost of the replacement policy if you don't mind me asking? I've been getting quotes from a few different places and the one I got from colwood directly seems to be the most expensive.

Also, the BCAA replacement policy is not the same as the third party ones (or even the one from ICBC for that matter) so keep that in mind. It's more limited and the cost will change over your coverage term. The replacement policies you buy from a third party (not ICBC or BCAA) has a fixed cost and a lot of them will provide partial loss deductible coverage so if your window gets smashed, you claim through ICBC comprehensive, pay your $500 deductilble but you get your $500 back from the partial loss coverage from Colwood (or whoever you buy it from).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I picked up my new DMLR on Monday. Everything went well except for the increased doc/admin fee. I elected not to fight it as it just wasn't worth the time and effort for me. The handover process was smooth. The people working there were very nice. The Polestar person (Lucas) was responsive whenever we had questions prior to delivery.

I delayed this posting because the car was not properly detailed when I picked it up. It had several obvious swirls/scratches in the paint that should have been remedied with a quick light cut polish. However, the dealership booked me in for yesterday and brought a detailer in for approx. 4 hrs. of proper paint prep. and it now looks as it should have. So a slight negative because it should have been properly prepped prior to my picking it up but I do feel that they made it right and I likely got a better detailing than I otherwise would have on the second time around.

One thing to be cautious of: The ICBC agent they brought to the dealership for registration/plates pulled a bit of a fast one on me. I asked for ICBC replacement cost policy just so I would be fully insured while I shopped around for the best third party optional insurance package. What was "sold" to me, without my knowledge or consent, was a third party (Colwood) replacement cost policy that was (a) overpriced (b) not a particularly good policy and (c) included a $400 "Dealer Referral Fee". I did not see or sign any of the papers for this policy, they were simply shoved into my plastic insurance envelope. I am careful about what I sign and I didn't sign any documents other than the ICBC documents.

Fortunately, this Colwood policy has a 30 day cancellation / full refund which I exercised today after finding a much better replacement cost policy through BCAA.

I don't blame the dealer for this as it was the insurance agent that pulled this on me. I made the dealer aware once I discovered this bait and switch. So beware if you are considering a replacement cost policy at the dealer. I might have actually bought it if it had been explained to me as all I wanted was something that could be immediately cancelled once I found the best deal but it was sneaky the way it was done.

In the few days we have had it, the car has been fantastic. Now it's time for ceramic coating and a bit of PPF.
LOOL THIS ICBC AGENT didn’t even have the plastic envelop for me to put the paper in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
wow that is good to know, i am actually looking to buy a replacement policy from a 3rd party but if they pulled that BS on me I would be pissed. What was the cost of the replacement policy if you don't mind me asking? I've been getting quotes from a few different places and the one I got from colwood directly seems to be the most expensive.

Also, the BCAA replacement policy is not the same as the third party ones (or even the one from ICBC for that matter) so keep that in mind. It's more limited and the cost will change over your coverage term. The replacement policies you buy from a third party (not ICBC or BCAA) has a fixed cost and a lot of them will provide partial loss deductible coverage so if your window gets smashed, you claim through ICBC comprehensive, pay your $500 deductilble but you get your $500 back from the partial loss coverage from Colwood (or whoever you buy it from).
The Colwood policy, after all the fluff they added, was around $2500 for 5 years = $500/yr. It required the vehicle to be written off by ICBC in order to trigger replacement cost. The BCAA policy cost $160 (less some membership deductions) for the first year and is triggered by an accident where the damage to the car is 50% of the book value for the first 3 years, then 90% for years 4 & 5. The BCAA premium will go up each year but I understand that these increases are typically in the range of 25%-35%. Even if it doubled each year it would be less expensive than the Colwood policy with better coverage. The Colwood policy did include a few perks that the BCAA policy didn't but not worth the substantial price difference to me.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts