Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Void
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NYC to Killington, VT. Thought I had it figured out with ABRP and PlugShare. Short version, don't forget to change your consumption setting to something reasonable on ABRP - like 2.5 MI/KWH. Rolled into Albany NY Electrify America with 5% and no heat for miles. Snowing like crazy. Terrified passenger. It all ended up working out and we got to our final destination but not without a real anxiety hangover that required a real hangover to cure. That's not a Signet EA charger, BTW, but still slow in the cold.

So after taking a lot of heat from everyone at our guys get away about my new $$$ "golf cart" that almost stranded us on the highway, I let the doubters tool around the snow to do donuts and all that other juvenile stuff. And after all that, I really got some WOWs and AWESOMEs and the teasing immediately stopped! And these guys have Audis, BMWs, tricked out R-Types. Legit interest in the vehicle. The car is super fun in the snow (now that I have all seasons!).

So to the question part. I plugged in with 120v / 15a socket. Your fingernails grow faster than the car charges but I had many days to wait. On the last night, I was sitting 90% and I wanted to go to 100% for the morning drive so I bumped up the limit to 100%. When I woke up, it was at 80%! WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot? I did see the topside logo light on in the middle of the night. And it was frigid - like 10F/-12C. Anyone else ever see that? I don't think it was calibration issue (which I did report earlier) because I used most of that 80% and was still getting the same ~40wkh/100mi

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wow, never seen the charge go down while on the charger here. I've only charged to 100% once and it did fine. I also charged with the granny cable (120V) once and over about 3 hours got 3% charge. I hope it was some kind of anomaly in the software (there have been numerous other posts of incorrectly reported SoC) that can be fixed in an update.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Re ABRP, yeah I saw ABRP was as optimistic (with ref consumption 385Wh/mi) as Google Maps is pessimistic. So if you average the predictions of both you get to something more spot on

re trickle charging, Rich Rebuilds had a segment in which he/his guest explained that in the cold, trickle charging can be net detrimental. Basically in order to charge efficiently the battery has to be at a certain temp. In really cold temps, heating the battery up takes as much if not more kW as level 1 charging provides. The battery is insulated but cold be cold. So you can actually lose charge when on Level 1 charging in the cold. doesn’t matter if you’re in a Tesla or Polestar, same diff, unless some EV brand out there handles cold charging with better thermal management.

Sucks to your frigid asmar.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Short version, don't forget to change your consumption setting to something reasonable on ABRP - like 2.5 MI/KWH.
Try more like 2.78 or 360w/mi

Makes sense - I learn something here all the time. I suppose eventually EV software algorithms will be improved to detect this situation, alert, and not charge.
It's more the fact at -12 deg C to charge the batteries they first need to be warmed up. Now when the battery heater > Incoming Charge you will lose charge.

I head about this ... but even at 0deg's you would still get some charge ... so I suppose being -12C was the limit of a 2.3kWh charger.

@bing How the the trip back in the end? And ignore your friends ... they are all really jealous! :p

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
I think 120V at 15A is only 1.8kW so even worse! Sounds like an interesting introduction to Polestar range :)

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Void
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@bing How the the trip back in the end? And ignore your friends ... they are all really jealous! :p
Better. Freezing, but less snow, more downhill, more cabin heat, .. and I added another charging stop. I'm slightly annoyed by that but whatever. I'm hopeful it will get better in warmer weather and more updates.

I took the New York State Thruway which is a turnpike with dedicated and sometimes elaborate rest areas .. now with EV chargers. The 2 I tried were broken! I have the Electrify America network figured out, though. I just didn't realize I would be spending so much time a Walmart!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
The range really will be considerably better once the weather's warmed up to about 15C upwards, I expect. Looking forward to those heady summer days! (And yes, 15C isn't really summer, even in the UK, but you know what I mean...)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Better. Freezing, but less snow, more downhill, more cabin heat, .. and I added another charging stop. I'm slightly annoyed by that but whatever. I'm hopeful it will get better in warmer weather and more updates.

I took the New York State Thruway which is a turnpike with dedicated and sometimes elaborate rest areas .. now with EV chargers. The 2 I tried were broken! I have the Electrify America network figured out, though. I just didn't realize I would be spending so much time a Walmart!
It's nice that you had options on Rt 87. Driving up 91 from RI, the last Level 1 charger was just past Northhamptom at a community college. I too rolled into Rutland with 20 miles of range left. The fogging of windshield was an issue that meant constantly running heat for a few seconds at a time but did drain range. The chargers at Killington ski resort are very convenient and free which is a nice perk!

I am hoping that software updates allow the car to improve its range someday. With 78kW battery it should be able to get to 250 miles, at least in the summer. It may never get to 4miles/kW like a Tesla given the weight and shape of car but I'd like to see better than 180 miles someday.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
It's more the fact at -12 deg C to charge the batteries they first need to be warmed up. Now when the battery heater > Incoming Charge you will lose charge.
No question that this is part of the problem. But I suspect that even if you didn't charge, this same loss would show up in some way once you started driving again. Not only does the battery need to be warmed to charge, but also warmed to drive. So either way you are going to lose that amount of charge. It's possible that you actually lost less since you were plugged in than you would have lost (beginning your drive) if you hadn't plugged in.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Void
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All donuts aside, thanks, everyone, for your insights! Like many here, this is my first EV and it certainly requires an adjustment to expectations with all the variables. This forum has been truly helpful.

I do really like the car. My best description so far is ... A soft quick tight tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts