Polestar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,487 Posts
From what I've seen, the cars coming to the U.S. have a 1 1/4" square receptacle into which fits a 2" ball.

Most bike racks I've seen expect a 2" square receptacle.

I'd be hesitant to use this for such a bike rack. It might work, but the tow mechanism fold back when not in use, so there might be unusual stress on that mechanism with a bike rack. Also, if you somehow hit the button with the rack attached, it might not go well.

I realize this is tons of speculation on my part... I'm getting the roof top carrier bars which I hope to put on and off when I need to carry my bikes.

· Registered
4,487 Posts
I believe you have to pay for the tow bar attachment and then you get the receiver with the ball insert... So, yeah... from what I know, you have to order the entire mechanism.

You're probably right about the stress and all... but there's a difference between directly applied weight (a force) and force at a distance (which causes moment). I'm not saying it won't work, but I'd be cautious and seek advice from Polestar.

· Registered
4,487 Posts
I think you are referring to the weight of the trailer. The tongue weight is the direct downward force (i.e. weight) that a trailer exerts on the trailer hitch. Normally a 2000 lbs trailer will exert no more than 200 lbs of downward force on the tongue.
No, no. I understand the difference. When towing, there's the downward force (tongue weight) and longitudinal force (pull weight or towing capacity). With any kind of cantilevered attachment, there's additional moment (or torque) as force applied at a distance has leverage. I'm no towing expert, so anybody's justified in questioning anything I write about it, but I do have a pretty good feel for structural engineering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.