Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Polestar 2 couple of weeks now and loving it until today...

Over weekend an amount of bird mess covered part of car, on there for about 24 hrs when washed off it has damaged paintwork! Not expecting this on a modern car i advised polestar who confirmed this a known issue on void but nothing they can do, after all it is cheaper colour option... advised i could pay to have ceramic coated but my manufacture warranty on paint void if i do... what makes worse i ordered Thunder but mistake in order meant it came black.... Anyone else had this issue with them.? 🤬

·
Registered
Nov ‘20, void, slate, 19” non-PP, tow bar
9 Posts

Over weekend an amount of bird mess covered part of car, on there for about 24 hrs when washed off it has damaged paintwork! Not expecting this on a modern car i advised polestar who confirmed this a known issue on void but nothing they can do, after all it is cheaper colour option... advised i could pay to have ceramic coated but my manufacture warranty on paint void if i do... what makes worse i ordered Thunder but mistake in order meant it came black.... Anyone else had this issue with them.? 🤬
Exactly same thing happened to mine today. It was on the plastic bit just in front of bonnet. Looks a mess.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
From what I know, which is limited, bird poop can attack any paint job, so all cars need some sort of protection ranging from wax to ceramic coating and paint protection film.

It sucks that this happened to you, but it's not surprising.

So now you're likely to enter the crazy world of car detailing and all the crazy products promoted in it.

Note, it can be rewarding... It pretty much depends on what you enjoy.

Reactions: Rodvaldr

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
109 Posts
Perhaps this is worth trying?

I have yet to try it but use their bird dropping wipes often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps this is worth trying?

I have yet to try it but use their bird dropping wipes often.
Thanks ill give it a try

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A good detailer would sort that out ... might even just be the varnish the factory uses is discoloured and not the paint. In fact I'd bet on it.

However, a good Ceramic coat (even the self applied home stuff) would give you protection in future.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
484 Posts
Congrats on a new 2 from a fellow Void owner!

Try a several-minute soak and gentle wipe with a non-abrasive / PH neutral product (Adam’s Waterless Wash or similar) on a microfiber cloth. A few rounds of this was fairly helpful to me in a similar situation shortly after getting my Void 2, and I don’t notice the mark anymore.

I do have a ceramic coating and it’s worth noting that even this is not a magic bullet: bird droppings and tree sap are both super acidic and etch shiny surfaces. The main benefit of ceramic is somewhat easier removal, no need to wax, and that any damage likely doesn’t extend through the paint layer. Droppings and sap still need to be removed ASAP.

Worst case, a yearly visit to the detailer will do wonders for a black car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Now I'm worried for my beloved Void order... I am not into car detailing, but I will probably consider some kind of simple protection. Void is the only non-metallic paint in the range, and "common knowledge" says it should be easier to fix paint problems on it, but I hope not to get there

Do we know if it's a problem across all Void's or just some are more sensitive than others?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I'm worried for my beloved Void order... I am not into car detailing, but I will probably consider some kind of simple protection. Void is the only non-metallic paint in the range, and "common knowledge" says it should be easier to fix paint problems on it, but I hope not to get there

Do we know if it's a problem across all Void's or just some are more sensitive than others?
Hi

Feedback from Polestar uk was that it was a known issue to them on the void colour, on other colours there had not been any issues.

Seems just Void,

·
Registered
474 Posts
Plain (no metallic) colors such as void often have a clear coat less. That could be the reason.

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
264 Posts

You could wrap it in a camouflage so the birds dont see it as a target anymore.

Seriously thanks for the heads up as I think my car will suffer the same.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Void definitely has more than its fair share of damage from things such as over-keen/incompetent delivery drivers to birds dropping pure hydrofluoric acid on it. Void is the high maintenance option, it seems...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got a few marks on my Midnight that I'm going to have to work on with more than my usual snow foam and wash...hoping it doesn't come to needing professional correction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do we know Void doesn’t have a clear coat? Non metallic doesn’t necessarily means no clear coat if I understand correctly

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I can't believe there wouldn't be any clear coat at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts