Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 263 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Good eye - I hadn't noticed before that the Thunder (which is what I ordered) had some painted parts where the other colors (or at least most of them - harder to tell with the Magnesium and Snow) have chrome. Agreed, the painted parts are a good look!
I also never noticed, and agree that non-chrome looks better. And here I chose midnight...damn

· Registered
Void | PP 350kW | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
184 Posts
Looking sharp. Any advice you can share on removing the stickers? Or did someone else do it?

There is a separate thread on removing the stickers, but nobody there seems to have quite gotten the nerve up to try it yet.
Unfortunately I didn't have the nerve either so the company doing the Kenzo coating did it. I don't know how they removed it, but they seemed to be of the opinion that this was the simplest thing in the world. Trying a hairdryer with low temperature from a distance and gradually move closer and/or turning the heat up, was my original plan. But this is guesswork anyway. This is something I think polestar should address in their FAQ, because I guess most people would want to remove the stickers... or?

· Registered
201 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't have the nerve either so the company doing the Kenzo coating did it. I don't know how they removed it, but they seemed to be of the opinion that this was the simplest thing in the world. Trying a hairdryer with low temperature from a distance and gradually move closer and/or turning the heat up, was my original plan. But this is guesswork anyway. This is something I think polestar should address in their FAQ, because I guess most people would want to remove the stickers... or?
Yeah two common complaints that are just not consistent with the image they are trying to convey:
  1. Garbage Key Fob. I get that the phone as key is coming, but guess what spring for a decent key anyway.
  2. Shit stickers. Everyone on God's green earth Lots of people want these off.

· Registered
Void | PP 350kW | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
184 Posts
Does the Kenzo coating change the Polestar logo from matt to gloss? There are so many warnings in the manual it almost feels the warranty will be voided.
I don't have before and after pictures of the Polestar logo so it's hard to tell. It didn't occur to me before you mentioned it, but I'd say nothing noticeable. Took a couple of pictures with and without flash. The lighting conditions are not good today, so the pictures don't reveal much I think. The logo is very subtle in a way so a bit more gloss would not stop me from doing the coating anyway. What I can say is that the car looks even more amazing after the coating. I also did the rims and glass.

The coating was not done at a Polestar service point, and I have no clue if Polestar accept IGL Kenzo. I saw discussions about orange peel, and I can see some on mine, just like any other Polestar I have seen up close (and that is quite a few), but the paint appear to be perfect otherwise, and regarding this orange peel thing, I didn't know, care or mind before I saw the discussions in the forums. Now I am aware, and I see this on most cars, and I'm back to not caring again. So, regarding warranty, I don't expect paint issues and gamle that this will not be a problem. I guess that should something happen I would be lucky if warranty was valid noew regarding the paint after the coating for my part.

· Registered
197 Posts
On reflection (see what I did there?) I don't think it matters whether the logo becomes gloss after a paint protection coating, it's the protection that's important. I just found it funny how protective Polestar are about their logo and all the warnings in the manual about it.

· Registered
P2 2021, Void, Charcoal, no PP, 19 inch
175 Posts
The Void-owners thread is not very active.
My question as a Void-buyer (still waiting for delivery): There are some stories in Polestar forums about problems with the black paint, which is judged by some as not as good as the other colours (thin, one layer, orangeskin-spots, etc.). Any of you experienced the same? Or happy and fully satisfied with the Void paint? Did any of you (apart from the already mentioned above in this thread) got the car coated with keramic/glass coating?

· Registered
244 Posts
The Void-owners thread is not very active.
My question as a Void-buyer (still waiting for delivery): There are some stories in Polestar forums about problems with the black paint, which is judged by some as not as good as the other colours (thin, one layer, orangeskin-spots, etc.). Any of you experienced the same? Or happy and fully satisfied with the Void paint? Did any of you (apart from the already mentioned above in this thread) got the car coated with keramic/glass coating?
My paint job looks OK but I am considering having it ceramic coated. If the paint job is not good I expect the guy doing the work will let me know.

One particular benefit (for me at least) of void is that the roof is continuous gloss black. I note from other threads that non-PP cars have a body coloured panel between the sunroof and the rear window, which I don't like much.

· Registered
4,487 Posts
My paint job looks OK but I am considering having it ceramic coated. If the paint job is not good I expect the guy doing the work will let me know.
Yeah... I'm considering dropping on the order of 3 grand to have some paint protection film added to the front to ward off sand and pebble dings and then a ceramic coating after that. That's a lot of cash. Think it's worth it? Maybe I'll start a thread.

· Registered
Ioniq P45, E-Niro (Previously P2 and TM3)
1,092 Posts
I am considering having it ceramic coated
Our T M3 in solid black had rubbish, so thins it couldn't be prepped properly, but it looked much better after. Hopefully the P" is better and gives the detailer lore to work with.
I'm considering dropping on the order of 3 grand to have some paint protection film added
Would it not be cheaper just to get the front and/or frunk resprayed if needed? Films have a life of say 4 years?

· Registered
4,487 Posts
Our T M3 in solid black had rubbish, so thins it couldn't be prepped properly, but it looked much better after. Hopefully the P" is better and gives the detailer lore to work with.

Would it not be cheaper just to get the front and/or frunk resprayed if needed? Films have a life of say 4 years?
Interesting. But if there are dings in the paint, they'd have to be filled first, then resprayed, then clear-coated. Interesting alternative to consider, though.

21 - 40 of 263 Posts