Polestar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Any one with a black car should see this test

I know Tesla paint is supposed to be soft. I never take any of my cars of any colour through an automatic car wash.
I don't even trust the Hand Car Washes you see everywhere in the UK ... it's me or nothing.

Reactions: Jonno

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
And proof that a ceramic coating is not bullet proof.

·
Registered
328 Posts
And proof that a ceramic coating is not bullet proof.
Absolutely. Of course, better to have any of that light damage on the ceramic as opposed to the paint, and I plan to take mine back to the detailer once a year for a touch-up that should bring things back to new. My detailer also advised not going too long between washes if you care about light scratches and eteching, as more dirt build-up will ultimately mean more opportunity for abrasive stuff to get dragged across the car.

All of that being said, I do find that the ceramic keeps things looking better for longer (the washes I’ve gotten, I wouldn’t say the car “looked” like it was in desperate need), and there should be no need for wax for the lifetime of the coating. The washes I’ve gotten have all been off-line, hand washes and I’ve been pretty pleased.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just noticed a huge bird shit on the front bonnet.

Wiped it with my trusty car cleaning mitt and afterwards it has already left swirl marks in the paint! How on earth am I going to avoid those?

It might have looked worse because I had a torch to it, but I didn't expect it to be quite so bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I parted company with £650 to get mine ceramic coated. Got it back today. No more swirls for me. Shiiiiny
Nice - mine will probably need the same once Taggarts in Glasgow have had their 4th go at fixing the scratches and swirlies they introduced the car to on its first day.

On the other side of Glasgow so will probably use someone local here, but these guys definitely seemed to do a good job

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't really fancy spending £650 on a car that I'm only leasing for 2 years. And they could then charge me to remove it!

Is there any products I can buy to stop it?
Another colour :D

any black car is a high risk of showing up imperfections - but if it is only swirlies, then a good waxing will keep it at bay, you will just have to keep on top of it
I am just lazy.....

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Another colour :D

any black car is a high risk of showing up imperfections - but if it is only swirlies, then a good waxing will keep it at bay, you will just have to keep on top of it
I am just lazy.....
What matters most is how you wash it. Don't let anybody else wash it and don't use any automatic car washes. Wash it yourself with a two bucket system. There are lots of good videos out there on how best to do this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just noticed a huge bird shit on the front bonnet.

Wiped it with my trusty car cleaning mitt and afterwards it has already left swirl marks in the paint! How on earth am I going to avoid those?

It might have looked worse because I had a torch to it, but I didn't expect it to be quite so bad.
I’ve had black cars exclusively for the past 15 years, welcome to the life. Best you can do is keep the paint protected with wax or ceramic, and remove abrasive/acidic substances like droppings or sap as soon and gently as possible. Even ceramic is not full protection and can etch or swirl, but helps from damaging the paint itself. That and a good detail once a year should keep things looking generally lovely.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Average awareness and common sense must be so much higher in Norway. There is no way that the average bod in the UK would be allowed access to that many buttons! You would have to run classes at night school and then only pass off the ones that stayed awake. Looks amazing though, what's the cost for a day out at the car wash? Sorry, your man might have mentioned it but my language skills only get me beer in warmer climates.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Average awareness and common sense must be so much higher in Norway. There is no way that the average bod in the UK would be allowed access to that many buttons! You would have to run classes at night school and then only pass off the ones that stayed awake. Looks amazing though, what's the cost for a day out at the car wash? Sorry, your man might have mentioned it but my language skills only get me beer in warmer climates.
The one I visit charges by the second; but it only counts when I am pressing on the trigger of one of the high pressure hoses. Overall, a thorough wash of the car and mats, vacuum cleaning, underbody rinsing, drying etc. costs me about 150 NOK (12-13 GBP).

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife asked a question that's very interesting: Are there any pictures of the Void in the evening/dark?
I still haven't seen any photos of this color in those conditions, and I'm guessing that's because Black is so hard to photograph in the dark! 😂

I'd still love to see a few though! That'll satisfy our curiosity!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know this will make most of you expert cleaners cry, but my Void got a very quick clean today. Took the opportunity to do it in the rain (saves the pre-rinse abs the post-rinse). What I can say is that the ceramic coating clearly has done its job as the bonnet had two huge large bird dumps on it and they just washes straight off with no effort and no residue.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts