Polestar Forum banner

Volvo Limits All its Cars Top Speed to 112 MPH

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JRRF 
#1 ·
Volvo's next safety innovation is simply a speed limiter that cuts its cars top speeds to 180 km/h, or roughly 112 mph.

“We believe that a carmaker has a responsibility to help improve traffic safety,” said Malin Ekholm, head of the Volvo Cars Safety Centre. “Our speed-limiting technology, and the dialogue that it initiated, fits that thinking. The speed cap and Care Key help people reflect and realize that speeding is dangerous, while also providing extra peace of mind and supporting better driver behavior.”

No word yet on whether or not Polestar will implement a similar speed limit, but since the majority of their cars will be electric, a speed limit may be useful for range extending purposes.

Read more at swedespeed.com.

#4 ·
Volvo's guy in charge of safety explained why they're doing this in an interview with autocar:

Analysis: The logic behind Volvo's 112mph speed limit | Autocar

Near the end they mentioned that more safety steps will be taken:

To this end, Volvo is planning further steps. For instance, like several other car makers, it is developing a driver monitoring system. Likely to launch next year, this could stop drunk or too-tired people from driving. It’s undoubtedly a more controversial step, with the use of a camera-based system raising questions of whether Volvo is monitoring drivers.

#6 ·
At those speeds they have to ensure the car doesn't create too much lift which can also be dangerous. This really only matters for you guys in Germany. I remember taking my original S60 on the autobahn over 120mph and while exhilarating, I also found it stressful given how fast things happen at that speed.

#8 ·
True but the Polestar was designed for such speeds which is obvious once you go above 150. That the Polestar was in testing very thoroughly here is obvious too. They show Hamburg in the Screenshots of the upcoming App, the sim they use is Deutsche Telekom (which owns T-Mobile), etc :D. Compared to my old car im very impressed with the polestars handling. Best I've ever felt.
The only thing they need to fix is the buggy Software sometimes, the 360 cam could look better and better visualization of the assistance features would be great. Similar to what Teslar is doing, then people would realize that most cars do that stuff they just don't show it in such a fancy way. Great to hear that you had a Volvo before too :).

Not for many miles in a Polestar, you won't 😉
Yes, but I think the Polestars Range is sufficient for daily commuting around Stuttgart. Love to see the people that work at Daimler and Porsche and let them wonder what that car is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.