Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question form my wife was “if we drive to London from Scotland, how long will we have to wait to even get connected to a charger let alone recharge?”
As much as I hate to admit it not an unreasonable question. Has congestion at chargers on motorways been an issue for anyone?

we are most often using the m6 when we travel that way. Although for reasons I am not sure of we haven’t done this in a while 🤔

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Firstly I'd stay clear of all motorway stations, as Ecotricity are often broken or do have a queue.

There are many good BP Pulse, Instavolt, e-on, etc... Just of the M6 / M1 / M40

Plan the route.... Find nice places to stop for lunch so even a 50kwh would be enough.

Takes a bit of planning but more than possible.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised how nice the TM3 was inside considering the criticism of the finish and quality. However I don’t like the lack of drive information screen

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
So the question form my wife was “if we drive to London from Scotland, how long will we have to wait to even get connected to a charger let alone recharge?”
As much as I hate to admit it not an unreasonable question. Has congestion at chargers on motorways been an issue for anyone?

we are most often using the m6 when we travel that way. Although for reasons I am not sure of we haven’t done this in a while 🤔
Why does your wife want to go to Scotland?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Back on Topic, depending where in Scotland you are from ... you say you like the M6 so I assume it's more Glasgow side than Edinburgh.

There are some places to stop in Carlisle, one near a Toby Cavery and the other in a retail park where there is an Asda with a café or some local cafes/restaurants.
If that's too close to home then you can go further south around Penrith there is a charger near a Booths which has a nice cafe or other local places to eat.
Further South you could stop at Preston ... a few options around there.

Then once past there there are a lot of places just of the M6 you can visit and stop for a pee, tea, and charge.

Don't worry too much about making 150kW charging ... a good 50kWh for 45-60min's if often enough once on the trip if stopping for food. The 2nd stop try and find a 150kW (there are a couple along route) for that 15-20min pee and tea only stop.

Does take some planning ... I use a combination of ABBP and Zap-Map .... get the first idea's of real range (if setting are set up correctly) then adjust from there finding places I want to stop and eat rather than just an M6 Service Station.

If you make the trip Monthly ... then a Model 3 LR would do the trip a lot better. If once a year then get any EV you'd like and plan around it ;-)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back on Topic, depending where in Scotland you are from ... you say you like the M6 so I assume it's more Glasgow side than Edinburgh.

There are some places to stop in Carlisle, one near a Toby Cavery and the other in a retail park where there is an Asda with a café or some local cafes/restaurants.
If that's too close to home then you can go further south around Penrith there is a charger near a Booths which has a nice cafe or other local places to eat.
Further South you could stop at Preston ... a few options around there.

Then once past there there are a lot of places just of the M6 you can visit and stop for a pee, tea, and charge.

Don't worry too much about making 150kW charging ... a good 50kWh for 45-60min's if often enough once on the trip if stopping for food. The 2nd stop try and find a 150kW (there are a couple along route) for that 15-20min pee and tea only stop.

Does take some planning ... I use a combination of ABBP and Zap-Map .... get the first idea's of real range (if setting are set up correctly) then adjust from there finding places I want to stop and eat rather than just an M6 Service Station.

If you make the trip Monthly ... then a Model 3 LR would do the trip a lot better. If once a year then get any EV you'd like and plan around it ;-)
Cheers I think she is a little concerned about how long will be added to the trip by having to leave the motorway and wait for charging.

ABRP says I would only need to stop once for 17mins. I find that unlikely.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,569 Posts
Cheers I think she is a little concerned about how long will be added to the trip by having to leave the motorway and wait for charging.

Set ABRP reference consumption to something higher like 385 Wh/mi and allow for more time when charging than it assumes (although the new software update could help!). With those settings, I find ABRP is a bit optimistic but not overly so to the point of saying something wholly off - similar magnitude to how Google is a but pessimistic, to the tune of assuming 1-2% more for each ~50-75mi.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yes you'll need 2 (maybe 3 if you priorities speed*) ... depending obviously where you stop and for how long.

*For example you could drive at "outside lane speeds" and then only charge to 60% - this will give faster time from A to B, but need 3 stops.

I suspect the settings are not correct. The main one is wh/mi ... I'd set to 360.

Also I change reference speed to 80% ... this seems to help with the travel time, as it doesn't take into account heavy traffic, road works, traffic lights, slowing down for roundabouts, etc...

The other important one is weather ... just add roughly the right temperature.

Ignore the charging times on ABRP on 150kWh chargers for now ... until more people test the new software this month and we can see if the charging curves are better. So a 35min stop might be more 45mins.

This is an example:- (10% SOC at charger, 20% at Destination, 100% SOC at the start)

Long trips are easily doable and have at least one backup idea for each charging stop. For example the first stop above is at Preston ... there are other 50kWh chargers about that you can get to and stop for food. The 2nd stop has 8 booths ... chances all will be taken are small, however if busy you won't get the 125kwh max charge so might be there for 30-45mins at worst.

Plan your trips ... figure out what time you are leaving and therefore what time you want to eat lunch/dinner. Good planning and having backup charging locations ready might mean 30min's on a PC but will save hours of headaches on the road.

The biggest issue is nerves ... first long trip always a worry. Once you have done a few it's easy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Starting to make sense now.

the real measure I suppose is the consumption. I have a tendency to drive at max speeds without exceeding the limit.

We should break these trips up any way. But I still have an Australian attitude of just do the trip in one go, 3-400 miles isn’t that far.

we shall see I suppose

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
We should break these trips up any way. But I still have an Australian attitude of just do the trip in one go, 3-400 miles isn’t that far.
Nothing wrong in doing 400 miles in one day.

I drove from East London (E18) to Dunbeath in one day - about 650 miles. It was Boxing Day in my Mini Copper S with a 280(ish) mile petrol tank. Trip time was 11 hours .. actual time was 14hours. Left home at 5:30am and got there around 7:30pm.

No traffic, no hold ups, nothing on the roads at all ... the 3 hours lost was stopping for toilet, drink, food, refilling, and to stretch the legs. It all adds up fast ... and I wasn't holding back on the speeds neither. Until we hit Glasgow there motorways were empty ... the M6 Toll road was my own private race track where I tested the mini's top speed! Honestly it was empty! The M1 & M6 both had traffic so normal outside lane speeds were used ... but I'd say it was 1/10th the normal traffic and 1/50th the normal peak traffic on these roads.

In the Polestar if I could hit as many 150kWh charges as I could, then I might be able to do it 14-15 hours if roads were as empty so overall not that different.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts