Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd parked the car at a BP Pulse, a few minutes walk from Caffe Nero where I went to do some work. Arrived with 22% and set it to charge to 90%. I was checking the app to check the charge level, including terminating and restarting it as I know the updates for SoC are slow.

So, I was caught on a call, and therefore arrived exactly eight minutes after my charge had completed, according to the BP Pulse App. And found this on my windscreen:

I fully accept that taking up a charging bay is quite unacceptable. And it is regrettable that I was not back at my vehicle by the time it had completed, however, it was only a small amount of time. I can only assume it was the driver of another EV?

Do you think it was a bit strong?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A bit strong ... however if they turned up at 80% charge and waited 20min's for your return I could understand their frustration if they needed a charge.

Imagine you turned up to a charger, the charge not only set beyond 80% but also you are not around. Now on a 7/11kW charger I'm personally ok with this, but on a 50+kW charger it is a bit extreme to charge to 90% and then be late on the return.

I suggest in future you use this and place on your windscreen:-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bit strong ... however if they turned up at 80% charge and waited 20min's for your return I could understand their frustration if they needed a charge.

Imagine you turned up to a charger, the charge not only set beyond 80% but also you are not around. Now on a 7/11kW charger I'm personally ok with this, but on a 50+kW charger it is a bit extreme to charge to 90% and then be late on the return.

I suggest in future you use this and place on your windscreen:-

Usage differs, and not all circumstances are the same. I had a long journey yesterday and I've a long journey today. I only have a 3-pin charger on my drive as my mains feed is a mere 40Amps, having applied for an upgrade last year!

The App is a good idea though.

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
495 Posts
I alway tell my son that is an in your head word only and I am Australian where it can be a term of endearment.

As carefull and considerate as you try to be, there will still be times when you get caught and will be late back to something.

people need to be less selfish and that includes the person waiting fir the charger. What if you had been in an accident or just received bad news or a million other reasonable reasons for you to not rush back to the charger.

I like to assume we are all trying to do the right thing and give the benefit of the doubt to people rather than not.

unless of course some idiot on the main road stops in the middle of the road to let you out when you are turning right thinking they are being polite.. it is polite to follow the rules of the road.. you have right of way di*head how the f** do I know why you just stopped????

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
262 Posts
Maybe he meant you are a good c**t. Since I can’t read the first word. Just take it as praise for buying an awesome car.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Usage differs, and not all circumstances are the same. I had a long journey yesterday and I've a long journey today. I only have a 3-pin charger on my drive as my mains feed is a mere 40Amps, having applied for an upgrade last year!

The App is a good idea though.
You have to print a page of to display so people can contact you - nothing personal just a QA code to the website.

And yes I agree usages are different, but we all know above 80% SOC the charge rate plummets, so I'm just saying try and see it from their point of view. Also you said yourself you wasn't around (or in visual range) for work reasons, but the other driver doesn't know that ... we also have no idea when they turned up. Could have been at 60% SOC and waiting for you to hit 80% ... only to see the car didn't stop charging ... from 80-90% could have taken 30min's or longer, and then you were back late ... so that's 38-ish min's at the minimum. (I'm assuming it was a 150kW charger ... if only a 50kW then well over 90min's).

I would have left a note along the lines of explaining reduced charge rates above 80%, and that others need these chargers, and if you are going to stay there for over an hour then maybe stay near by so if someone had pulled up needing a charge desperately then you could have discussed the issue or moved for them.

If this is something you will be doing a lot, then defiantly get the APP and an account ... then display the QR code in the window so people can ask how long you will be.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Possession is 9/10ths of the law... Personally if someone is at the charger then they are there. Life is too short to get angry at things like this, just go to the next charger and take it from there.

I get more angry at the lack of multiple chargers and the fact that there may only be one charger in a town. The lack of infrastructure is the real crime here, not you being late. It's also not like you are an ICE car blocking the charger, you've used it and that is your right.

I personally like the 45 minute maximum stay rule that ecotricity has for the motorway chargers (reliability is another matter).

I would also like it if they had 2 parking bays per charger and the charger automatically disconnected after the 45 minutes so that someone could just unplug the charger and put in into theirs. The session has finished and you will not pay for their session, so is that so hard?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good points here.

@GDank the entire charging period took 81 minutes. My lateness was therefore 89 minutes, so lets call it 90 minutes for simplicity. The charge point levies a £10 over stay fee for charges greater than 90 minutes, and quite right. The 80% to 90% charge period is around 12 minutes. It's a 50KW charger. I agree that consideration is paramount as we have enough problems with EVs without additional selfishness.

At the very same charger I've waited almost 45 minutes for a driver to return. On one other occasion I returned and the charge port has been removed from my car, and the other owner has it plugged in to their car as charging has completed on mine. All those occasions have been fine with me.

@AngloDude is correct. Life is too short and the infrastructure is woefully inadequate. Write to your MP and your local council asking them what EV charging infrastructure improvements are planned, where they are planned and when are they planned for. Perhaps avoid offensive language though.

@dave 🤣

·
Registered
350 Posts
At the very same charger I've waited almost 45 minutes for a driver to return. On one other occasion I returned and the charge port has been removed from my car, and the other owner has it plugged in to their car as charging has completed on mine. All those occasions have been fine with me.
I didn't realise they unlocked once the charging is complete. Makes sense, they just need to have the space to allow people to park there and get it connected. Makes it more strange the you got the offensive message as you were obviously still charging?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The language is ridiculous so absolutely it's a bit strong... but personally I completely avoid charging for 90 minutes unless there are multiple chargers available. We don't really know the circumstances and it does make a difference.

A single 50kw unit used for 90 minues with 10 minutes of those being after completion isn't really compatible with the infastructure and as a tangent it also plays into one of the main anti-EV arguments - someone needing a half hour charge at that point has 2 hours added to their journey.

That same situation with something like 6x 50 kw units, though, would absolutely not bother me at all as there's a high likelihood that one of those six will always be either empty or within a few minutes of being. It's about the rotation for me.

And for 7kw I think people should be able to leave them to the full extent allowed just to get something decent in (near me there are 4 hour limits for these etc).

Whilst, ultimately, it's not your problem (you're well within your rights) I pretty much stick to a 30 minute charge-and-go regime. I've easily completed 250-300 mile journeys with only 30 minute stops (and there's usually someone waiting when I leave too....)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't realise they unlocked once the charging is complete. Makes sense, they just need to have the space to allow people to park there and get it connected. Makes it more strange the you got the offensive message as you were obviously still charging?
There are two marked EV bays, one charging station with three connections. Only one connection can be used at any time. To be fair if another P*2 arrived intending to charge they would have to park at 90 degrees to my car. Any front charging, right-rear charging or left-front charging vehicles would be fine. Right-front charging would involve a bit of twister, but not impossible.

·
Premium Member
Snow Performance Napa Hitch
123 Posts
This is my first BEV so I'm learning all about the proper protocols and such of owning an electric car. This thread informs me that squatting (making this term up myself) at a public charging station is frowned upon.

Good to know.

I have other questions:

1. If there's a charging station at another brand's dealership, is that ok to use? Like, at the Honda space up the street?
  2. As gas approaches $5/gallon here in Southern California, is it rude to roll down my window and laugh at people filling up their new Audis and Cadillacs?
  3. Is it inappropriate to creep onto an on-ramp very slowly (with a line of cars behind) just to create space ahead to floor it?

Appreciate everyone helping out the N00b here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts