Polestar Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
As EVs become more and more mainstream, there's going to be a growing number of owners who aren't geeks like us who will be totally unaware of the logic/etiquette of only charging to 80% - frustrating as that will be, I don't see how owners can be 'blamed' for not knowing some of the intricacies of EV ownership (and nor should they need to know!). Trying to educate new owners on things like this just reinforces the message that EV ownership still isn't for the masses.

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July? August? vin 26xxx
394 Posts
Start a campaign to have etiquette signs put up around chargers. Sound like a job for Rotary, Apex or local business council.

·
Registered
247 Posts
To be honest I never knew there was an etiquette for how long you should stay at a charger and the 80% cap (which is fair to breach if you Nedd a little more to complete which should be assumed if waiting).

I thought it was analogous to the way some petrol stations are now mini supermarkets so people park up and do there local shop after filling up without moving their car.

Anyway lesson learnt.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
When you consider on a 150kW charger it takes 30(ish) mins to get from 10% to 80% and then another 30min's to get from 80% to 90%, you can see why it makes zero sense to stay beyond 80% as you may as well leave and charge again somewhere else if you need it.

So you can see why someone turning up to a charger would be frustrated that someone is charging up to 90% when only a single charger available. Note: I'm not saying the note left was acceptable, just trying to explain their frustration.

Hopefully we will get 4+ Chargers at most key places soon, so most people don't run into issues like this.

IMHO there are some odd chargers about in the UK, but I might start another thread about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Myself and my wife have been driving EV's for about 8 years now. Started with 80 mile range Zoe that did 15k miles a year. Often for business my wife would have to rapid charge 2-3-4 times on her journey. It was really frustrating if people overstayed when she really needed a charge and very few options to find other chargers. That was when there were fewer chargers then there are now.
We have always try to stay within the rules if there is a max charge time we set an alarm and if we leave the car then we ensure we are back in time. Indeed she has her company phone number on her car and only a few times have people called it to see how long she would be. On the AC with her first car the chargers would not say how long you had been charging.
However both of us have left notes on cars before after waiting a long time on drivers return. They were always informative rather than rude, trying to show them the errors of their ways. Mainly this has been phev drivers using rapid chargers which cannot accept a rapid charge. This often happened because they would not buy a charge cable to use a slower charger. In Stirling it was often the case an ev driver connected on the same rapid everyday then got picked up by taxi to go to work for 8 hours. Clearly an extreme case.
When we had free charging in Scotland until recently many Tesla drivers would connect to a charger for hours, getting picked up to go home by family members. Now charging is not free (except Scottish Borders) guess what, no more Tesla drivers taking up rapids for hours.
I think the app is a good idea or ideally keep to the max stay limit, get back to the car a bit early and come off once you have enough to continue your journey. I appreciate not everyone can charge at home and rapids may be there only option but when you are reliant on a rapid charger to complete your journey for work or pleasure then just consider it from the other drivers view point.
However no need to be rude about it as in this case.
On another point though the charge point placement on cars. The centre front on a Zoe we have found to be a great location. I have seen plenty others where they are located on the rear or front wing sometimes struggle to use chargers that are available just because the cable does not reach. I have also seen cables tight up against body work to make a connection. For me front centre is an ideal place. How are others finding the PS2?

·
Registered
48 Posts
While everyone else's seems to offer constructive improvement methods and sincere suggestions, I just feel like this dramatic person should simply chill out... There will always be a million reason why a person cannot be near their charging car. I wonder how many envelops this person has to leave on others windshield. :unsure:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Got held up but managed to return one minute before the 10 pound penalty kicked in?
I don’t agree with the message, but if I needed to charge, I would not be happy with an EV parked in a charge spot.
I’ve seen a few of those.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,698 Posts
My local charger is hidden away in a pub car park & is rarely used. I don't have a home charger & planned to charge to 90% one Saturday evening as I had a big drive ahead on Sunday.
A guy in a Nissan Leaf turned up, saw I was on 75% -
-Will you be long?
-I was planning on charging to 90% but I'll just go to 80% and let you on.
-How long will that take?
-Probably 5 minutes.
He put his head down & went on his phone. I unplugged & left at 80%. He didn't look up or say a single word to me.
On reflection I was annoyed with myself for leaving. I did the right thing, but I didn't have to, so the Leaf-Weasel should have shown some gratitude. Courtesy is a 2 way thing.
So back to the original post, the person who is free & easy with the C bombs deserves to wait. Anyone that leaves such an aggressive note is a bad person.
I'm in a black/white mood today. No room for greys (or thunders)

·
Registered
247 Posts
On reflection you should have handed him a pre-written envelope for him to put on your windscreen. You live and learn...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts