Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about the Polestar Space in DC? The only info Polestar has officially put out is that the space will open in "the first half of 2021" which is.... already in the past. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but want to wait until I know they will be able to service my location.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Head of Polestar NA said a bunch should open as we leave the summer. FWIW, they have mobile service now, so they would be able to service you for most issues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not a peep. It's been "coming soon" for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Head of Polestar NA said a bunch should open as we leave the summer. FWIW, they have mobile service now, so they would be able to service you for most issues.
I hope it is sometime soon. I'm worried the hold up is getting a service contract that involves the local Volvo dealerships in DC, which are terrible to work with as a customer (and probably worse to try to get some long term contract established with them). I have reached out once again to the Polestar Rep i've been communicating with, but has so far just kept to the company line of "We don't have a concrete date, but sign up for the newsletter on the Polestar website!"

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I hope it is sometime soon. I'm worried the hold up is getting a service contract that involves the local Volvo dealerships in DC, which are terrible to work with as a customer (and probably worse to try to get some long term contract established with them). I have reached out once again to the Polestar Rep i've been communicating with, but has so far just kept to the company line of "We don't have a concrete date, but sign up for the newsletter on the Polestar website!"
They generally do use Volvo dealerships to handle delivery and service, but the spaces themselves are often setup somewhere else, like a storefront or shopping center. If they've already selected the location they might have already hammered out the initial details with a local dealership, so they might be doing construction and training staff and the service techs.

You might be able to call around and get a service manager to slip and say they'll service the cars. Just remember, Polestar is also a performance trim of some Volvos, so you'll have to be clear.

Shame to hear the local dealerships are terrible to work with. I haven't had to send my car in for service, maybe someone else from the US can share what the communication/experience was like?

·
Registered
376 Posts
BTW, the "Miami" Space is in the same boat - was rumored to be opening in May, then June, then "First Half" of the year.... still listed as "Coming Soon."

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Boston Volvo services the Polestar. I've had the car in twice and they've been great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boston Volvo services the Polestar. I've had the car in twice and they've been great.
In the DC area the Volvo service I've worked with is Don Beyer Volvo, who is a car salesman turned politician and is now the Congressman for Northern Virginia - infer from that what you will.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Completely concur re DMV Volvo dealerships. For the time we were there never found any I'd ever describe as a premium or luxury experience that Volvo and now Polestar claim to want to offer.

Hopefully @Amanda or @JRRF have had better experiences.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Completely concur re DMV Volvo dealerships. For the time we were there never found any I'd ever describe as a premium or luxury experience that Volvo and now Polestar claim to want to offer.

Hopefully @Amanda or @JRRF have had better experiences.
I haven't had too much of a problem with Don Beyer Volvo, though for most regular servicing I go to Auto Scandia in Herndon. They can do pretty much everything except warranty repairs. I haven't asked if they can do Polestar service, though they were quite happy to do my state inspection after delivery.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
DC used to have one of the best Volvo dealers in the country. The name escapes me, but they were on Wisconsin Ave just inside the city line. They regularly serviced all the diplomats that drove Volvos (many of them obviously). Fairly certain they are not there anymore. The name will come to me eventually. I did a European delivery with them many moons ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
DC used to have one of the best Volvo dealers in the country. The name escapes me, but they were on Wisconsin Ave just inside the city line. They regularly serviced all the diplomats that drove Volvos (many of them obviously). Fairly certain they are not there anymore. The name will come to me eventually. I did a European delivery with them many moons ago.
I am in the same boat, as I live in No.VA. But I am impatient and the lease on my current vehicle is up soon, so I decided to pull the trigger and get a vehicle from the New Jersey location; it is supposed to arrive there soon. Driving it the 230 miles home will be a fun adventure.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Martens Volvo. That was the DC dealership. My understanding was that they were a single shop and family owned. That concept has gone by the wayside with conglomerates taking over large groups of dealerships.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I am in the same boat, as I live in No.VA. But I am impatient and the lease on my current vehicle is up soon, so I decided to pull the trigger and get a vehicle from the New Jersey location; it is supposed to arrive there soon. Driving it the 230 miles home will be a fun adventure.
If you feel like a long read: Mick's big adventure

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update from the Polestar Rep: "The DC space is slated to be opened by the end of the year." He offered to get a car for a test drive in DC before then and that they could deliver the car to me in DC, avoiding the long endeavor, but a good read, that @Mick experienced. I have to admit that I am very tempted by this arrangement. Do you think theres any chance that they just never open a DC location? I haven't heard of that happening elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Update from the Polestar Rep: "The DC space is slated to be opened by the end of the year." He offered to get a car for a test drive in DC before then and that they could deliver the car to me in DC, avoiding the long endeavor, but a good read, that @Mick experienced. I have to admit that I am very tempted by this arrangement. Do you think theres any chance that they just never open a DC location? I haven't heard of that happening elsewhere.
Eventually they will open a space in DC. It's just too rich and liberal of a market not to. As for by "end of the year", that's pretty nebulous and I wouldn't hang my hat on it. There's no question they can deliver a car to you. Many of us got deliveries a lot further than that from a Space. The test drive offer is great, but a lot of us never even got that, and yet no one has been disappointing in the way car drives :) Test drive, or no test drive, if you're interested in the car -- you are going to like it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts