Polestar Forum banner

521 - 540 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Today I discovered a new feature. So I was aware of two speed adjustment features when in cruise control.
1. Short press, adjust by 5
2. Long press adjust by 1.

Today I found that after a long press, you can continue to adjust by 1 for each subsequent short press. Wish I had know that before! Don't know what the time limit is before the short press reverts to increments of 5 again, if anyone knows??
I discovered this feature almost the first time I used the cruise control, and I think the time before it reverts to adjust by 5 again is on the order of 10-30 seconds. I never tried to figure it out exactly though, because that would require actually testing it with decreasing delays (which would be tedious). If you use the short press (to adjust by 1) repeatedly, I think the timeout is just extended, so in theory you could probably jump up and down by 1 indefinitely if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Today I discovered a new feature. So I was aware of two speed adjustment features when in cruise control.
1. Short press, adjust by 5
2. Long press adjust by 1.

Today I found that after a long press, you can continue to adjust by 1 for each subsequent short press. Wish I had know that before! Don't know what the time limit is before the short press reverts to increments of 5 again, if anyone knows??
I discovered this feature almost the first time I used the cruise control, and I think the time before it reverts to adjust by 5 again is on the order of 10-30 seconds. I never tried to figure it out exactly though, because that would require actually testing it with decreasing delays (which would be tedious). If you use the short press (to adjust by 1) repeatedly, I think the timeout is just extended, so in theory you could probably jump up and down by 1 indefinitely if you really wanted to.
Very, very interesting. This I'm going to have to try out and would be quite happy about.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah, I never figured how long it stays in the 1 mph mode (I suppose kph if set for metric), but it is handy to fine-tune. Figured that out somewhere in Virginia on my long drive home from pickup.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,438 Posts
It's just the order of a few seconds. Still the wrong way round for me. Short press for big jump? Long press for short jump? Hmm. Depends on what you're used to but I find it really annoying this way round. If I'm making a big change of speed, I'll accelerate/brake there and then press the button. I want up/down for tweaks and it's the wrong way round for that. Anyway, I digress...

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's just the order of a few seconds. Still the wrong way round for me. Short press for big jump? Long press for short jump? Hmm. Depends on what you're used to but I find it really annoying this way round. If I'm making a big change of speed, I'll accelerate/brake there and then press the button. I want up/down for tweaks and it's the wrong way round for that. Anyway, I digress...
I agree with you. It really is the wrong way around, but as long as you know how it works, it's not that big of an issue.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
When I raised this issue in the german forum last September - coming from an Audi, which is doing it the 'right' way - I was told Volvo always did it that way, so this must be the right way ;)
Not true. I've been using ACC for 14 years and my first one was a Volvo that worked the "right" way (short-1, long-5). As a matter of fact, of the 4 cars I've had with ACC, this is the first to do it the "wrong" way.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Not true. I've been using ACC for 14 years and my first one was a Volvo that worked the "right" way (short-1, long-5). As a matter of fact, of the 4 cars I've had with ACC, this is the first to do it the "wrong" way.
I should have said 4 previous cars. Actually the P2 is the 5th car with it.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
171 Posts
Maybe I'm just weird, but I agree with Volvo that 5 is the better default. In my previous car I found myself tapping the button 5 times in short succession all the time. Adjusting by just 1 is something I do extremely rarely, so I really like the fact that 5 is what I get in this car on a short click.

·
Registered
Snow non-PP w/tow hook
93 Posts
I agree, short for 5 is better, I have yet to encounter a situation where I wanted to adjust by 1

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure about what is better. My other car does 10 on long and 1 on short. Whatever. But I now do drive one km/h slower because I used to set to 6 km over the limit. Now 5 for convenience.

"OK Google, set ACC to 136"

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree, short for 5 is better, I have yet to encounter a situation where I wanted to adjust by 1
I frequently want to set my speed at something not round, like 48 MPH in a 45 zone. If the car's current speed isn't exactly at 48 when I tap the "set" button, then I have to adjust it. This is when the +/- 1 thing comes in handy.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Maybe I'm just weird, but I agree with Volvo that 5 is the better default. In my previous car I found myself tapping the button 5 times in short succession all the time. Adjusting by just 1 is something I do extremely rarely, so I really like the fact that 5 is what I get in this car on a short click.
I almost always use 1 rather than 5. But I've gotten used to it now. For instance on the highway if someone is tracking me in my quarter (not a safe position) and they are not checking out the car 😁, I may increase/decrease by 1 to create separation.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I used to set my cruise speed at speed limit +9mph on the highway, but now I just use +10. Best I can tell the indicated speed is at least 1 or 2 MPH faster than what the car is actually going, and often the indicated speed bounces between set speed and -1mph (say 74/75) so I usually don't bother with the fine adjustments. So the short +/- 5 works better for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
IIRC, it was 1/5 below 50, 5/10 above. In the end, it's a matter of getting used to it and I have to admit, I actually like it better now after using for 6 months.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Turns out the various fob button features are written on the case under the cover. Only new one is panic can be turned on by double pressing the button or holding it.

521 - 540 of 635 Posts