Polestar Forum banner
801 - 820 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Does it really do this? It would be a great feature to have, but right now I'm not convinced our cars slow down on sharp turns.
I come into a freeway-to-freeway ramp at 70 and come out at 60 without touching anything. I welcome empirical evidence from others.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It does slow down, but I do not think it's doing it because of map data as the Volvo system does. I get the feeling that the car is slowing in reaction to already being in a tight turn at speed rather than anticipating it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It does slow down, but I do not think it's doing it because of map data as the Volvo system does. I get the feeling that the car is slowing in reaction to already being in a tight turn at speed rather than anticipating it.
I get the traction control blink when it slows on me. Guess I'm taking the turn a little too fast 😃

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
This sounds more plausible to me too.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
371 Posts
Well I didn't know that if you set the light stork to position lamp and then tell the car to install the awaiting OTA update it refuses to install the update until you set the light back to auto. Just discovered this new "feature" five minutes ago when trying to install the Sept OTA.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Well I didn't know that if you set the light stork to position lamp and then tell the car to install the awaiting OTA update it refuses to install the update until you set the light back to auto. Just discovered this new "feature" five minutes ago when trying to install the Sept OTA.
Weird 😵

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I guess it's to reduce power draw so the 12v doesn't run dry and brick the car.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
853 Posts
Why would you have the light on any position other than auto?

·
Registered
604 Posts
One little Google Assistant trick I learned a while ago and should have shared here:

“OK Google, give me directions to…” pulls up a route but does not start navigating.

“OK Google, take me to…” automatically starts the navigation.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
On every car I've seen, when the front turn signal is activated the LED daytime driving light on that side goes off while the turn signal flashes. This always made sense so the turn signal doesn't wash out in the daytime driving lights for other drivers. On the P2 the daytime driving light does not go off when the turn signal is activated.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,025 Posts
On every car I've seen, when the front turn signal is activated the LED daytime driving light on that side goes off while the turn signal flashes. This always made sense so the turn signal doesn't wash out in the daytime driving lights for other drivers. On the P2 the daytime driving light does not go off when the turn signal is activated.
It does turn off the DRL for the front turn signal in my UK spec car, which I find annoying as I much prefer Audi’s approach of dimming it instead. Could be a US thing?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
It does turn off the DRL for the front turn signal in my UK spec car, which I find annoying as I much prefer Audi’s approach of dimming it instead. Could be a US thing?
First time I ever saw it was when I was facing a mirrored building. I think here even Audi's turn off here. Maybe someone else can provide a definitively answer until I spy another Audi.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Almost everything about the behaviour of lights is dictated by regulations. The company that I work for had an open tech day where different departments were demonstrating some of their new features and achievements to other engineers in the company. Its a fun few days as you get to see parts that you otherwise just don't have any interaction with.

I spent quite some time talking to the people who worked with the new headlight module (full led, DRL, zones for dimming (like polestar's matrix, just lower resolution)). Almost everything about the way the lights worked was dictated by regulations, and of course it varies slightly in different markets. At least for this particular product where the DRL and the direction indicator share the same optical element, then it is required to turn off the DRL whilst indicating.

Light output in all modes are strictly governed, this includes dimming DRL elements when dipped beams are active.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,025 Posts
Almost everything about the behaviour of lights is dictated by regulations. The company that I work for had an open tech day where different departments were demonstrating some of their new features and achievements to other engineers in the company. Its a fun few days as you get to see parts that you otherwise just don't have any interaction with.

I spent quite some time talking to the people who worked with the new headlight module (full led, DRL, zones for dimming (like polestar's matrix, just lower resolution)). Almost everything about the way the lights worked was dictated by regulations, and of course it varies slightly in different markets. At least for this particular product where the DRL and the direction indicator share the same optical element, then it is required to turn off the DRL whilst indicating.

Light output in all modes are strictly governed, this includes dimming DRL elements when dipped beams are active.
I wonder how strict the regulations are for thd rear light clusters.

I was following what I think was a newish Peugeot yesterday and it had what looked like the thinnest line possible for a rear indicator light and it was directly below an also linear but thicker red light that was always on and just got brighter when braking.

It was extremely hard to notice in daylight that the car was indicating and I’d say impossible while braking, as people often do before a turn!

If it had a bit more vertical separation from the red light or was thicker it’d be fine. I was surprised a design so poor is street legal!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I still can't believe that the white backup light is bright enough for any regulations.
It's plenty bright enough for regulations. Reversing lights are just to be seen, not to see.

If you see white light it means the vehicle may be coming towards you, true for front or back of the car.

@kkonstan I don't work with the headlights so not sure of the regulations besides what I learned in that conversation that I had. I have noticed some poorly implemented light designs too. At least in Europe we don't have that stupid system of red light reuse for brake and turn signal that is so common over the pond.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
plenty bright enough for regulations. Reversing lights are just to be seen, not to see.

If you see white light it means the vehicle may be coming towards you, true for front or back of the car.
Whatever the regulation, it is dimmer than on any car I've driven at night in 40 years.

801 - 820 of 878 Posts