Polestar Forum banner
821 - 840 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Whatever the regulation, it is dimmer than on any car I've driven at night in 40 years.
Excuse me, mister, have you seen the reversing lights of Kia eNiro? My grandma's incense stick is brighter than that light.

(Not defending Polestar here; just claiming there's a trend here. I find Polestar 2's reversing lights way too weak as well.)

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
172 Posts
The regulations even go down to specs on colour. I ran the team at NPL back in the early 2000's that was looking at these new fangled LEDs for all sorts of safety indication systems (traffic lights, lights on top of wind farms, car lights, aircraft lights, yes even lighthouses) making sure the colours fell within the specs that were written for incandescent lighting systems. As we all know the human eye's response to colour is not linear (and the spectral responses for the rods and cones are different too so you see different colours more or less strongly in low light levels) so going from a well understood broad spectrum luminance (even for "single" colour lights) to much narrower spectra, and indeed spectra with several discreet narrower lines (again even for a "single" colour light) took a lot of work.

Yeah it is really tightly spec'ed if it relates to safety in any way.

·
Registered
MY21, Midnight PP Nappa
56 Posts
Excuse me, mister, have you seen the reversing lights of Kia eNiro? My grandma's incense stick is brighter than that light.

(Not defending Polestar here; just claiming there's a trend here. I find Polestar 2's reversing lights way too weak as well.)
Sorry, got everyone beat - I had a 2009 scion xB, the one with the single reverse light on the lower left rear bumper.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I find myself pressing the brake pedal when reversing in the dark to be able to see.

Reactions: 2RatsElop

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,025 Posts
I find myself pressing the brake pedal when reversing in the dark to be able to see.
I use the rear fog light, it helps the reversing camera pick up more detail a bit, but it's not great. I had to install a floodlight on my drive so I can safely reverse into it.

ECE specifies minimum 80 candelas which is ridiculously low, but the maximum is several hundred, similar to the front dipped beams, and all of my other current and previous cars provide adequate lighting for reversing.

There simply is no good reason for Polestar to be an outlier here and just aim to provide barely above the minimum legal limit here - it is just not safe!

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
172 Posts
This must have been observed before: I thought the "grill" at the front of the car was solid. It isn't! Between the rows of "bumps" is a gap, and there is what looks like a radiator behind. Presumably for aircon or battery or both.

Well I didn't know that!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yup, there are radiators and electric fans back there all to assist with battery and other cooling. I'm sure our grills are largely responsible for our marginal coefficient of drag.

Reactions: Jwgill

·
Registered
64 Posts
Coud a replacement lamp with higher specs be of help when parking on reverse ?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Coud a replacement lamp with higher specs be of help when parking on reverse ?
I imagine so. Not so sure how easy it would be to disassemble the the tail lights. Then again, it might be a special LED bulb.

·
Registered
349 Posts
On every car I've seen, when the front turn signal is activated the LED daytime driving light on that side goes off while the turn signal flashes. This always made sense so the turn signal doesn't wash out in the daytime driving lights for other drivers. On the P2 the daytime driving light does not go off when the turn signal is activated.
When the Thor's hammer is on as a DRL it turns off for the turn signal. When the Thor's hammer is on along with the headlights, it's dimmed and it remains on while the turn signal is on.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
When the Thor's hammer is on as a DRL it turns off for the turn signal. When the Thor's hammer is on along with the headlights, it's dimmed and it remains on while the turn signal is on.
I guess mine is broken.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) can generate multiple alarms at once.

Had all of them go off in one alert, then the front passenger (which has been plugged once) went off seperately this morning. All were okay, except the plugged one, which was down 5 psi. They were already warm though, so will wait till they cool down and recheck/fill/reset system.

821 - 840 of 878 Posts