Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few reviews have mentioned you can switch on the a/c & heated steering wheel.
Can it switch on......
Heated rear screen?
Cruise control (Hey Google set my speed to 60mph)?
Wipers?
Open boot (when stationary)?
Close windows?
Hey Google find this song but without all the swearing ?
How about if you said "Hey Google my feet are cold"? Would it direct heat?
Am I expecting too much? If you don't ask you don't get!

·
Registered
203 Posts
A few reviews have mentioned you can switch on the a/c & heated steering wheel.
Can it switch on......
Heated rear screen?
Cruise control (Hey Google set my speed to 60mph)?
Wipers?
Open boot (when stationary)?
Close windows?
Hey Google find this song but without all the swearing ?
How about if you said "Hey Google my feet are cold"? Would it direct heat?
Am I expecting too much? If you don't ask you don't get!
It would be great if Polestar documented the keywords and functionalities which could be controlled. A reviewer said you could turn on the seats, but not change their temperature. I failed to get the correct command to turn off the seats.

I expect the commands could change and expand over time. Maybe mine has already changed, as when I went for the software upgrade the google stuff was updated as well. Went from the June offering to the September version.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
So. It's obvious we need a new, pinned thread here.

Reactions: yonder71

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had minor problem initially turning on, reducing, off seat heating or steering wheel but works well now. Guess just need to find the correct words “Hey Google reduce steering wheel heating by one”

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is the google assistant linked to your google account? For example, I have some custom google assistant commands which I have created through IFTTT, one particularly useful one is "Hey Google open the garage door" or "Hey google turn on/off the x/y lights" (lights on and around the house). Will these commands work in the car assistant?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the google assistant linked to your google account? For example, I have some custom google assistant commands which I have created through IFTTT, one particularly useful one is "Hey Google open the garage door" or "Hey google turn on/off the x/y lights" (lights on and around the house). Will these commands work in the car assistant?
Not from this aspect. Never used Google assistant. All down to the car and using it routinely but not yet tried functions such as lights, wipers etc. A great aspect of the Polestar.

·
Registered
203 Posts
IFTTT uses an App for integration. So the answer must be no, until the app has been migrated to Android Automotive.

Google assistant has some limited automation where you can create a series of commands. So I could say, OK Google Tea, and it will set a timer for 4 minutes and play a 'time for tea song' So it might be possible to create a command, 'I am Cold' and get it to turn on the steering wheel, and seat, and turn the heating up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just tested the same commands in the car as I use in the house, like turn on /off lights, open marquees, controll temperature, etc. works exactly the same as Google Nest or my phone, so that might indicate it could work?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Commands that I've tested and worked (can't remember exact wording used)

Switching heating steering wheel on (and off)
Switching Passenger heated seat on (and off). Same for driver
Switch recirculation on and off (saves finding the button, when you're behind a dirty ICE belching out smoke!)
Whats the temperature in my house? (works via google/nest thermostat integration). Also turn heating on
Send a text message to x (seemed to work, but send a WhatsApp didn't)
Add X to my shopping list (either google shopping list, or you can define others in your google account settings, mine set to bring!)
Whats the weather like today
What are my appointments today (from your google calendar)
Resume music
Play (album or artist)
I don't think there are any commands that are directly related to driving (i.e. cruise control on) for safety reasons

It'd be nice if google could give you 0-60 times for the car sat next to you at the lights (like I did with a Nissan 350Z the other day!)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Commands that I've tested and worked (can't remember exact wording used)

Switching heating steering wheel on (and off)
Switching Passenger heated seat on (and off). Same for driver
Switch recirculation on and off (saves finding the button, when you're behind a dirty ICE belching out smoke!)
Whats the temperature in my house? (works via google/nest thermostat integration). Also turn heating on
Send a text message to x (seemed to work, but send a WhatsApp didn't)
Add X to my shopping list (either google shopping list, or you can define others in your google account settings, mine set to bring!)
Whats the weather like today
What are my appointments today (from your google calendar)
Resume music
Play (album or artist)
I don't think there are any commands that are directly related to driving (i.e. cruise control on) for safety reasons

It'd be nice if google could give you 0-60 times for the car sat next to you at the lights (like I did with a Nissan 350Z the other day!)
Perfect, so it sounds like external assistant services NOT associated with the car DO work, seems like I should be able to control parts of my house from inside the car. I'm looking forward to testing it out.... in January :cautious:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been driving P2 for almost 10 weeks now, and find myself using the voice assistant more as an actuall assistant and less as a toy as time goes. The voice assistant is so increadibly usefull, that some of the minor Google flaws (like GPS all over the place in tunnels) are negligible compared to this.
I'm speaking with the assistant in a Norwegian dialect that perhaps 300k people in the world speak, and it is still spot on. This is quite astonishing to me.

Today I was in a hurry, it was cold, foggy and lots of traffic and it was so nice to just focus on the road and the surroundings, and tell the car to:
  • Turn heat on/off in the rear window
  • Steering wheel heat on/off/1/2/3/up/down (3 being max)
  • Fan on/off/medium/maximum (to clear windows)
  • Set temperature to X
The "navigate to" functionality is a game changer. Navigate to the nearest Ikea, or "navigate to library" and it will suggest the nearest, navigate to adress. navigate to the airport, navigate home... it's rare that it doesnt get it right. The only thing I havent figured out is how to cancel a point in a route, so usually I have to "cancel navigation" and "navigate to" again. Anyone figured this out yet?

As a side note, Google stuff not spesific for the car that I sometimes use.
  • Todays News (will give news from different sources)
  • Throw a dice
  • Toss a coin
  • Tell a joke
  • Crystall ball (seriously stupid thing only usable to demonstrate stupid things it can do)
  • Play <instrument> tuba/ukulele/kazoo etc (try to think of something weird is the game here)
  • how do <animal> sound
  • Trivia, ask about world facts, stats or the like
Controlling devices in my house (temperature/zip screens/light) works from the car just like it does on the phone from anywhere. Just haven't seen any real life usefull scenarios from the car yet in my case.

·
Registered
234 Posts
IFTTT uses an App for integration. So the answer must be no, until the app has been migrated to Android Automotive.

Google assistant has some limited automation where you can create a series of commands. So I could say, OK Google Tea, and it will set a timer for 4 minutes and play a 'time for tea song' So it might be possible to create a command, 'I am Cold' and get it to turn on the steering wheel, and seat, and turn the heating up.
IFTTT has an app or Web interface to configure it but the IFTTT service runs on IFTTT servers and the Google assistant integration runs in a IFTTT service within the Google assistant environment (again, cloud stuff).

Others have already now indicated that they are able to command their smart home features through the assistant in the Polestar. Nest, IFTTTT and similar systems all work the same way to Google so that's great. I have confidence that it will work for me.

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
871 Posts
The only thing I havent figured out is how to cancel a point in a route, so usually I have to "cancel navigation" and "navigate to" again. Anyone figured this out yet?
+1 - Google voice commands worked great for me and I've been told I have a unique accent mix presumably based on my heritage and where I've lived in the world.
My wife and kids also enjoyed playing with its trivia prowess.

I also couldn't easily figure out how to add or delete a specific point in the route and into a specific stage of route. If I wanted to add another stop to the end of the current route it would put it in the middle or vice versa. I'm sure there's a specific way of doing it and I just didn't immediately understand which turn of phrase was needed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Since you can control home elements from the car, could we do the same in the other direction ?
Ask my Google Home : "Hey Google, start cabin pre-heating in the Polestar 2"

I know... i'm dreaming.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Since you can control home elements from the car, could we do the same in the other direction ?

I know... i'm dreaming.
I don't know... I'm guessing that might be possible someday.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I know... i'm dreaming.
I think that is almost a given. As soon as the car can be controlled by an app, controlling it via Google should be within Reach.

Hai Google, shine light on our neighborhood by flashing yer knightrider lights. Keep me informed about the number of spectators admiring the show.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that is almost a given. As soon as the car can be controlled by an app, controlling it via Google should be within Reach.

Hai Google, shine light on our neighborhood by flashing yer knightrider lights. Keep me informed about the number of spectators admiring the show.
I bloody love those lights

1 - 20 of 33 Posts