Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Or whatever the Polestar 2 costs in your country)
When I've been feeling grumpy about the state of my Polestar 2 order I've had a look at what other car I could buy for similar money. Not the sensible option, but the 12 year old boy in a sweet shop option (I didn't have kids when I was 12 so 2 seaters are in).
The only condition being it has to be new
I've settled (!?) for a Porsche 718 Cayman at just over £2K cheaper than the P2.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting idea. For me, unfortunately buying either of these is significantly more expensive in real terms than a Polestar2 as I'm not buying it outright.

I'm replacing a 3 year old BMW M4 Competition because of the BEV tax breaks (as a company car). For me the Polestar works out about half the monthly cost than my M4.

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
129 Posts
But playing alone with the game, I'd probably look at a nearly new RS4 for £50-60k.

Update: ah just realised this breaks Dave's rule about being new :(. Back to the drawing board...

Reactions: JohnnyFarmer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a real soft spot for the Honda e. I think it may go down as an iconic design in years to come.
And there'd be a lot of change to customise it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah I love the external design of the Honda. (The inside is a little.... out there). Would be good as a second car / runaround!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Honda e reminds me of my 1990's mini cooper (pic isn't mine but identical). The most fun car I ever owned. I'd love to get another in a few years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
£43,450 the difference buys 41.7 tanks of my petrol - Looking closer here is that background thunder? ;-)

But not new ... Bugger

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Honda e reminds me of my 1990's mini cooper (pic isn't mine but identical). The most fun car I ever owned. I'd love to get another in a few years.
Honda E reminds me of a Mk1 Golf.

Reactions: Fidelis

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a few thoughts on this:

1) BMW i4.... The only problem is that they still haven't given it a release date, so it will be the back end of 2021 at best. Then everything nice will be an option, so by the time you've got what you want there is another £10k on the price and then it starts to look like poor value

2) Audi eTron - Now they are offering decent discounts (circa £12k), its now just expensive rather than a complete rip off. The downside is that it needs an extra 20KW to be charged to get less range than the P*2. Not efficient and weighs too much

3) Tesla 3 LR- immediately available if you are not fussy on colour and options, but the build quality and single screen really upsets me and thats before I've even sat in one. I don't this improving much before a major model change and the screen will remain

4) M440 Gran coupe does look interesting, but again no release date and I don't think I can get excited about petrol cars any more

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would go for Tesla M3 performance if held at gunpoint, and pimp it beyond retardation. But even that is 100k £ more than P2 performance. I would want electric, because the «boy in the sweet shop option" does not exist in Norway at this price point for fossil cars. Also, fossil cars feels very outdated in so many ways at least for my need.
After some thought and within these limits there are no other electric cars out there I care for at all now. Throwing this much money after a new car require some serious passion on my part, so I don't think anything else is even close to that criteria for me other than the Polestar for some weird reason.

I have great interest in the upcoming ID BUZZ, but that is future and will probably cost more. I imagine great adventures in this one. Also it smiles at you, and that’s something at least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like this post, but also the comment made by ricisbest.... I too am getting one because bik tax in UK will save hundreds of pounds; against my phev even!
How about then what is the best ICE car you can get for the equivalent total cost inc. BIK ?
the answer might show just how / why all electric is the default for all company cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts