Polestar Forum banner

What could've caused these taillight scratches on new Polestar 2?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  4623 
#1 · (Edited)
So, as I was waiting for my new Polestar 2 to arrive, I signed up for a free new car inspection this local detailer offers. It consists of things like inspecting the paint on the car with instruments, panel alignment, etc. I also took a recommendation of declining the dealership car wash and detailing to avoid possible swirl marks and mediocre detailing work, which the dealer agreed to.

I was able to pick up the car earlier than expected late last week and I drove it to the detailer the next morning for the inspection. Everything came back as acceptable, except for some scratches they noticed on my taillights:
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Grille Automotive lighting

Granted, these pictures were taken with a high-lumens flashlight. In normal light conditions, they're only noticeable at certain angles, so it's not as bad as it looks. But I took the detailer's rec and reached out to the dealer and they said they'd be willing to try to buff the scratches out.

But what I don't understand is if the dealer didn't do any detailing, how did these lights get scratched up in the first place? It doesn't seem like the type of damage that would've occurred during shipment. Do they detail cars at the factory? Did anyone else receive a car with these types of scratches on their cars?

See less See more
#5 ·
Then you drove it right back to the dealer? This delivery narrative needs a beginning, middle, and end! FWIW, I had sand dripping out of the headliner for weeks after my delivery. And, that's because the cars sat at port for months after the launch recall.....shipping all the way from China, you can just imagine what these cars go through before we even see them.

#6 ·
Ok, that makes sense since the damage is on the back corners of the car. Hoping it's an easy buff. This car's so nice, it's getting me fixated on the smallest things - I used to be content as long as it worked with my past cars. Thanks for the replies.

#8 ·
I just got a Void Black model as well. Took it home and noticed that there are strange scratches everywhere (especially the rear). Additionally The apex of each mirror has a faded black mark becoming white. It looks like something had been rubbing it for quite a while. All together, these defects/scratches are quite noticeable and I am taking the car back to the dealer very soon to have it looked at. I am sure it is fixable, but it was certainly disappointing when I had noticed everything in the sunlight.

I also had seen at least one other Polestar 2 in the showroom with scratches on the tail lights and possibly other paint locations. It was very noticeable and I was confused why they had not fixed it yet. It does appear to be a shipping issue that may be quite common at this point. I hope this gets fixed soon as I suspect it will only disappointing a lot of people. I retrospect I wish I had asked them to pay closer attention when I had picked it up. Buying a Void Black car at night proved to be a big mistake when it comes to being able to spot on the issues with paint.

#9 ·
I asked the dealer not to detail my car, which was why I had these scratches. Maybe the dealer mistakenly didn’t detail yours? Check your interior as well, especially the piano black center console. They all should be able to be buffed out with ease.

#12 ·
I had scratches on my car as well. I saw it right away when I went to pick up the car. Luckily the dealer was able to buff out the scratches and I fixed the rest myself using a mild detailing polish. I also had a few light scratches on the edge of my left taillight. And yes - these scratches are caused my the transport cover. That cover can do quite a lot of damage if it comes loose and flaps around in the wind. I dealer showed me a couple of cars in the lot that had a lot of scratches on the c-pillars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.