Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Dual Motor | Snow | Plus/Pilot/Performance
465 Posts
You must have received a very different P2 than I did, because this thing reminds me much more of an E36/E46 BMW that anything else I've driven in a long time. The car will ROTATE, which most cars from recent years just will not.

Comparing it to a Cayman is absurd. Come on.
You do feel the weight though! It’s not a car you can throw around. But if that’s what you are after, you don’t buy a heavy ‘Volvo’ in the first place. So it’s not fair to compare.

·
Registered
2023 Polestar 2
45 Posts
You do feel the weight though! It’s not a car you can throw around. But if that’s what you are after, you don’t buy a heavy ‘Volvo’ in the first place. So it’s not fair to compare.
I would argue that you don't even really feel the full weight. Volvo did a great job of engineering around it.

Try some of the other EVs by comparison.

·
Registered
Dual Motor | Snow | Plus/Pilot/Performance
465 Posts
I would argue that you don't even really feel the full weight. Volvo did a great job of engineering around it.

Try some of the other EVs by comparison.
I’ve driven a lot. Because the P2 is so high on its feet, you feel the weight more. A model 3 feels much lighter. Same goes for the Taycan.
It’s not criticism though. It’s just a crossover type family car that handles very well for what it is.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I had done a ton of research, watched all the videos, but this was my first new car in 25 years, and first EV. When I first saw it at the curb in Manhattan ready for handover I was surprised at the presence of the car in person. Even after watching every video, it is so much better looking in person. It really is a lovely car.

Once I had gone through the checklist and completed the handover, I started the drive home. There on 11th Ave in the mostly pandemic-deserted city, I had my first opportunity to put my foot in the accelerator. The acceleration was so abrupt and violent that I had to pull over for a moment and compose myself. I had no preparation for what instant torque felt like. I'm more accustomed to it now after two years, but it is still a joyful experience to mash the pedal.

·
Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
234 Posts
OK having both BEV and ICE cars makes your responses easier. What if you had only BEVs? Which EVs would cut the mustard for you then?
There isn't an EV now that does what I want. The weight is a problem but can be over come. It's really the fact that every EV doesn't have you in control. There is always something happening behind the scenes. If it won't let you do smokey burn outs where is the fun in that? If it were me designing from scratch-

4,000lb max weight(this is really 1,000lbs more than I'd like but I'm being realistic)
RWD biased, front motor is smaller or is only full power for straight line speed. Even better no front motor.
double wishbones all around
electro-hydraulic steering
low roofline and ride height
all stability controls can be fully disabled
more knobs and buttons, less reliance on a screen interface. I like my screen for actual infotainment, just not to control the car.
hatchback or wagon

There is a 100% chance this vehicle will never be made.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Question for Polestar 2 owners that had their car for a while...

What do you find most surprising about it? Are there certain features you didn't know about? Was something much better or worse than you imagined?
It has to be the curry hook for me, absolutely brilliant...

Saying that for a porky 476Hp AWD car it is pretty nice to drive. It is actually our first choice car to use whilst we only got it as my wife's little runabout...I love it...

·
Registered
Ordered: LRDM, Snow, Pilot Lite, Plus + Zinc
317 Posts
Maybe I've been a bit of a dinosaur driving rwd manual trans cars forever but I find the driving experience of the P2 to be barely passable. It's really not an enthusiast drivers car and every time you push the limit you can tell the car hates being hustled. It prefers to be driven like an adult and not like a hooligan. The steering is rather numb and the ratio is slow and the chassis is not nearly neutral enough to be fun. I think all cars have been slowly having the driving enjoyment removed from them and my last car being a 2011 model it was a much more analog experience.

The p2 does have excellent adaptive cruise, and is great at eating up miles on the freeway. It's stunning to look at and gets lots of attention.

I do sometimes find myself wishing I'd bought a little analog sports car like a Cayman instead.

For driving like an adult the polestar is great but Id never go grab the keys and head for a twisty road with it.
Not too sure how this could be a total surprise. Although your comments may be founded in truth, it's bit like saying how surprised you are that your 80 year old parents don't fit into the back of said Cayman, nor can it carry the flatpack furniture home. I think both cars do what they say on the tin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best surprise has been the accuracy of the Google Maps battery percentage at final destination.

On the other side of that situation is that I have no idea what conditions are required other than a tailwind to squeeze the stated Polestar range out of the car. I pretty much just figure a little over 2 miles per battery percentage stated. I asked Polestar what speed was most efficient for the car to achieve longest range, but no answer was given. My guess is that it would be around 45mph, because when at 65 and cruise I can not yield 3 miles per each battery percentage.
260/78=3.33

·
Registered
796 Posts
Not too sure how this could be a total surprise. Although your comments may be founded in truth, it's bit like saying how surprised you are that your 80 year old parents don't fit into the back of said Cayman, nor can it carry the flatpack furniture home. I think both cars do what they say on the tin.
I think I was spoiled by the BMW sport sedans that gave up relatively little to true sports cars ( they stopped making those a while ago)

Honestly I was just kinda hoping the polestar would compare to my 2006 e90 3 series and it just isn't in the same galaxy

I certainly can't say it's fair to expect a p2 to drive like a cayman, but I can say sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier if I'd chosen a vehicle that drives like a cayman over the p2

·
Registered
21’ Snow Performance Pack.
493 Posts
As the owner of both a P2 and a Porsche 992S, I think both serve different niches. That’s why I got both.

Without a doubt, there are few sports cars, let alone “sports sedans”, that can come close to matching Porsche prowess on a curvy road/track. Porsche has more than half a century of history in developing race (sports) cars. To presume Polestar, a virtual newcomer to the automorive world, would even come close in it’s 1st generation P2, is absurd.

The P2 is not a sports car. Period. Nor was it ever intended to be.

However the P2 is, perhaps, closer to a true sports sedan. I also own a 2016 M4, and I see some similarities between the two. I do not have the performance package on my P2, so the suspension/ride of my P2 is not the same as the more aggressive/stiffer ride of my M4. However, in terms of acceleration, the P2 easily holds it’s own against my M4.

If the day ever comes that I feel the need to stiffen things up, lower suspension, etc on the P2, there are plenty of aftermarket alterations I can make to put it on par with my M4…on twisty roads. First thing I would do before that, however, is go to different / stickier Summer tires.
When I hadn’t driven my f80 for quite some time, the acceleration was not nearly as rapid as I remembered! EV instant acceleration is not to be taken lightly, especially the polestar’s.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think I was spoiled by the BMW sport sedans that gave up relatively little to true sports cars ( they stopped making those a while ago)

Honestly I was just kinda hoping the polestar would compare to my 2006 e90 3 series and it just isn't in the same galaxy

I certainly can't say it's fair to expect a p2 to drive like a cayman, but I can say sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier if I'd chosen a vehicle that drives like a cayman over the p2
It depends which version of the E90 as nowhere near are all the same, and in my opinion the P*2 wipes the floor with as good as all except for the M3 and some modified others for handling only. My wife gave up her BMW M2C for the P*2 and we think the P*2 is way better in every aspect other than basically street racing and being on the track. The M cars are very very special when pushed, they seem to get better and better the harder you push them, but lets be realistic that isn't something for daily driving though is it :)

347 Posts

What do you find most surprising about it? Are there certain features you didn't know about? Was something much better or worse than you imagined?
What surprised me is how much I love it. I am pretty hard on things that I purchase. I looooooooooove my Polestar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There isn't an EV now that does what I want. The weight is a problem but can be over come. It's really the fact that every EV doesn't have you in control. There is always something happening behind the scenes. If it won't let you do smokey burn outs where is the fun in that? If it were me designing from scratch-

4,000lb max weight(this is really 1,000lbs more than I'd like but I'm being realistic)
RWD biased, front motor is smaller or is only full power for straight line speed. Even better no front motor.
double wishbones all around
electro-hydraulic steering
low roofline and ride height
all stability controls can be fully disabled
more knobs and buttons, less reliance on a screen interface. I like my screen for actual infotainment, just not to control the car.
hatchback or wagon

There is a 100% chance this vehicle will never be made.
It has been made. You just didn’t see it coming when it passed you. It called a Polestar 1.

·
Registered
LRDM, Pilot, Plus, Midnight, Sep 2022
75 Posts
The good
  • The adaptive cruise control that can slow down the car to 0 km/h and restart smoothly when the car in front restarts
  • The headlamps with pixel technology
The weird
  • Google Assistant configured in French but sometimes saying "Oops, something went wrong..." in English
  • DAB+ traffic messages in Dutch while I only listen to French-speaking DAB+ radios
The bad
  • nothing until now

Reactions: chrisjj_2

·
Registered
142 Posts
The San Jose Space has a P1 that they would be happy to let go at a SUBSTANTIAL discount. PM me and I can put you in touch with a sales guy.
Hey that’s so nice of you. In the UK so difficult to get there ;). A substantial discount on £100k might be still well out of my financial reach. Thanks though. I know it’s not a BEV and is a hybrid but by all accounts it’s a sporty performance beast. And it’s a lovely interior. I am happy for someone to gift it to me. Any offers on the forum? Well it was worth a try. Ha. Ha.

·
Registered
Void | PP 350kW | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
184 Posts

I've had my P2 since august 2020
Most surprised by:
  • The weak rear lights when driving in reverse. It's actually hard to see anything sometimes and I expected much better .
  • The insane quality of the adaptive front pixel lights
  • The lack of a rear wiper and that I never missed it.
  • That I can control my smart house devices by voice in the car. Not a shocking feature, but didn't think that would happen.'
  • The way I still can't start my favourite radio channel by voice.
  • How important voice control has become for me and I can't imagine buying a car without it now.
  • How little I'm actually charging away from home.
  • That there still are no camping/dog mode, a way to keep the sound and air going for more than 45 minutes without stupid app trickery
  • That I still after two years think this is one of the prettiest cars I know.
  • The sound system is great but not quite the same Omph as my previous car Volvo V40 Summum 2013 , and it is strange how little the sound balance can be controlled in the car. Sound in the back of the car seems weak somehow.
  • The speed sign recognition is not as good as in the Volvo, that was surprising indeed. Seems to be getting better but not yet quite there.
Overall I love the car and will probably keep it for a long time

21 - 40 of 84 Posts