Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best surprise:
How quiet, smooth, solid and refined the drive is.

Worst Surprise:
Simply how unpractical it is living day to day with the car. The small interior, narrow opening of rear doors and small trunk really is really annoying on a daily basis. It's much smaller than my previous Corolla. The Corolla had like 5-6 inches of extra legroom in the back seat (same front seat positions) and don't even get me started on the trunk space.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Best surprise:
How quiet, smooth, solid and refined the drive is.

Worst Surprise:
Simply how unpractical it is living day to day with the car. The small interior, narrow opening of rear doors and small trunk really is really annoying on a daily basis. It's much smaller than my previous Corolla. The Corolla had like 5-6 inches of extra legroom in the back seat (same front seat positions) and don't even get me started on the trunk space.
Sitting in it would have told you all that - did you buy it without doing this? Not entirely sure that one can be blamed on the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you not test drive before buying? Or research its size? Surely you knew all this before committing to owning a p2? Weird.
I did do a quick test drive as there was another appointment after me so i wasn'tas thorough as I should have been. Having said that, I think this car would have been perfect for me as a single guy or without a young child. I did not take my 4 year old for the test drive. I talked myself into thinking some of the issues would be fine because I liked the car a lot but the daily is not ideal. The trunk opening looked great but only living with it did I notice the quick slope down so the height isn't there. Our Family trip to Costco every 2-3 weeks doesn't really work as well since the car can't fit the usual haul nicely. The split 40/60 backseat fold is the reverse compared to all other cars we've owned so that wasn't something I expected or was looking at.

There are also plastic storage boxes I carry for work on a regular basis that used to fit easily and nicely in the back seat in my previous car but with P2, I need to have the door fully opened (not always possible in parking lot or garage) to put it in and it needs to be put in at an angle which makes the products inside the box disorganized. Its also tight due to car seat. Again, just annoyances.
I still like the car lots when I'm alone in it and don't need to worry about other people or things.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think I was spoiled by the BMW sport sedans that gave up relatively little to true sports cars ( they stopped making those a while ago)

Honestly I was just kinda hoping the polestar would compare to my 2006 e90 3 series and it just isn't in the same galaxy

I certainly can't say it's fair to expect a p2 to drive like a cayman, but I can say sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier if I'd chosen a vehicle that drives like a cayman over the p2
Why I’m happy to have the P2 and my manual 2020 911 in the garage :).

·
Registered
42 Posts
@JoeCee what are you carrying in the trunk which makes you really annoyed on a daily basis?
I’m guessing you’re either a Cellist or an Undertaker. Keep us informed 🪺
Lol. Nothing fancy. Just usually 4 plastic storage bins and associated promo materials for work (easels, banners, foamboard, etc). Used to fit 3 bins in trunk and 1 in back seat easily in a Corolla but P2 can only store 2 bins in trunk while the other two needs to be stored in passenger seat and back seat (have a child car seat too).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe I've been a bit of a dinosaur driving rwd manual trans cars forever but I find the driving experience of the P2 to be barely passable. It's really not an enthusiast drivers car and every time you push the limit you can tell the car hates being hustled. It prefers to be driven like an adult and not like a hooligan. The steering is rather numb and the ratio is slow and the chassis is not nearly neutral enough to be fun. I think all cars have been slowly having the driving enjoyment removed from them and my last car being a 2011 model it was a much more analog experience.

The p2 does have excellent adaptive cruise, and is great at eating up miles on the freeway. It's stunning to look at and gets lots of attention.

I do sometimes find myself wishing I'd bought a little analog sports car like a Cayman instead.

For driving like an adult the polestar is great but Id never go grab the keys and head for a twisty road with it.
The P2 is a fantastic daily driver I can putt around in everyday traffic and I don't have to wait for it to warm up to romp on it. But for a fun twisty road drive, I grab the keys to the S2000 :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did do a quick test drive as there was another appointment after me so i wasn'tas thorough as I should have been. Having said that, I think this car would have been perfect for me as a single guy or without a young child. I did not take my 4 year old for the test drive. I talked myself into thinking some of the issues would be fine because I liked the car a lot but the daily is not ideal. The trunk opening looked great but only living with it did I notice the quick slope down so the height isn't there. Our Family trip to Costco every 2-3 weeks doesn't really work as well since the car can't fit the usual haul nicely. The split 40/60 backseat fold is the reverse compared to all other cars we've owned so that wasn't something I expected or was looking at.

There are also plastic storage boxes I carry for work on a regular basis that used to fit easily and nicely in the back seat in my previous car but with P2, I need to have the door fully opened (not always possible in parking lot or garage) to put it in and it needs to be put in at an angle which makes the products inside the box disorganized. Its also tight due to car seat. Again, just annoyances.
I still like the car lots when I'm alone in it and don't need to worry about other people or things.
Coming from a Volvo XC90 with it cavernous load area, self levelling suspension and rear seats boot/trunk I knew the PS2 was never going to be a like-for-like replacement. I also liked the sitting ‘in’ it feeling when driving. I am having to adjust my thinking and driving style accordingly. But it seems so competent. If I could afford it the EX90 would be perfect - only, at my age, without the third row seats.

·
Super Moderator
2,530 Posts
What has surprised me the most is the total and utter lack of development. Barely any bugs addressed including ones that have been reported continuously for more than two years now. No new features added apart from CarPlay (which was always promised) and the useless performance app.

But more importantly, I thought Polestar were going to be something new and 'progressive'. I had hoped they would engage with the community and be open. But they're just as bad, if not worse, than any other legacy manufacturer - unhelpful, secretive, dishonest. They treat their customers as an inconvenience (and that's being generous).

The car is great to drive and still turns heads two years on, but on every single other level I'm disappointed and disgruntled. A total missed opportunity.

Sorry if the above isn't what people want to hear, but it's my opinion.

·
Registered
582 Posts
What has surprised me the most is the total and utter lack of development. Barely any bugs addressed including ones that have been reported continuously for more than two years now. No new features added apart from CarPlay (which was always promised) and the useless performance app.

But more importantly, I thought Polestar were going to be something new and 'progressive'. I had hoped they would engage with the community and be open. But they're just as bad, if not worse, than any other legacy manufacturer - unhelpful, secretive, dishonest. They treat their customers as an inconvenience (and that's being generous).

The car is great to drive and still turns heads two years on, but on every single other level I'm disappointed and disgruntled. A total missed opportunity.

Sorry if the above isn't what people want to hear, but it's my opinion.

RE: “on every single other level I'm disappointed and disgruntled. A total missed opportunity.”

Just curious….how did you get to be, or are still a moderator, if you don’t like most of the things with the P2? Maybe you should sell the car and find a new forum? You might be happier? Just a suggestion?

As to your criticisms….It’s a start up, and these types of issues are to be expected. Really. At least I expected them…having owned my own start up company, I learned first hand all the issues that start ups have to deal with just to keep their head above water. Now throw into the equation such issues as finding qualified staff/support, part delays that have plagued every car manufacturer coming out of COVID, etc, etc….and you have a brutal environment to start a new company.

After 6 months and 8 months of ownership, respectively, neither I, nor my son, have experienced any problems with our respective P2’s. Outside of an occasional “reboot” of the operating system, we have not experienced a single problem. Not one. Remarkable? Call me pleasantly elated.

I followed Tesla (owners on their Forum) from the early days…back when I was considering a Tesla….and they had as many, and in fact, more serious issues with their car. Even today, their build quality still only rates them a “average” / poor reliability score (depending on the model) on JD Powers. And for 5+ years, tesla had the huge advantage of being the only EV in town. Hell, even highly respected and extremely well sourced, had or has issues with the wheels coming off on some of their hybrids..something to do with their regeneration system. Point being - some issues are a nuance, a bother…while others are very serious And could cause serious injury. But all car manufacturers have issues. Every manufacturer. Ask Porsche owners, like me, about issues Porsche is having with their Li batteries?

Finally, the most nagging issue, as posted on this Forum, seems to be the TCAM issue. While I know people have had problems, overwhelmingly, most of us have not. When it reaches critical mass, there will be a recall on the P2…at least here in the US there will be. Currently, the number of formal complaints, regarding TCAM related issues, to the NHTSAi, is minuscule. People want change? Report the issues to Polestar Corporate and to the NHSTA (in the US). When enough formal complaints have been filed with the NHSTA, there will either be a formal investigation, and/ or Polestar (themselves) will have a voluntary recall.…although the problem with that is…if Volvo (which sells many more cars and has a much larger base for resources) hasn’t yet solved this issue, what are the chances that Polestar will?

·
Registered
‘22 P2 LRDM, Thunder, PP, Pilot, & Plus
27 Posts
Back on the original topic, what has surprised me most.

The Good
1) The acceleration. I know I shouldn't be surprised, this is a known thing, but this is my first EV so it still surprising, giddy, violent. I often find myself on 2-lane rural highways (winging in mountainous areas), and the overtake speed is so surprising and incredible.

2) The seats. Love them, not fatiguing, firm and supportive. Wish they WeaveTech was ventilated for summer, but not a dealbreaker.

3) Lack of range anxiety. I don't drive long distance all that often, but have done a few longer trips. My daily commute is ~20 miles ea/way (no charger at work). And I really haven't given a second thought to range.

The Bad
1) Bugs. Nothing major, and nothing that requires significant work. Just weird stuff. Sometimes an extra second or two delay in recognizing the key to unlock the door when I pull the handle. Sometimes failing to connect to LTE promptly (connects within 1 or 2 minutes after driving).

2) Laggy Google Voice Recognition. I really thought this would be better. But there is a long (5-7 second) delay before it recognizes what I'm saying and fishes around for how to respond. Honestly I find myself touching the screen way more than using Voice given the lag.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Frankly, I don't give "a rat's ass" about reading excuses about why the P2 has issues (whether startup, supply chain, issues).
I do appreciate objective and honest commentary (pro and con) from the forum members.
Just tell it like it is and let's not make excuses.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Just curious….how did you get to be, or are still a moderator,
@stevelup is one of the very early adopters and has been active and engaged on this forum since the beginning. He has been through some of the major early issues and has engaged with Polestar and the appropriate Volvo dealerships often, with many suggestions and constructive feedback. He was made a moderator when the expansion of the forum membership required more than just one moderator (thanks @rgledhill for all you do and have done!) and all of us regular long time members were and still are fully supportive. The low engagement level of Polestar and particularly the slow pace of bug fixes and the AAOS ecosystem in general has been a source of frustration and I believe Steve has been inordinately impacted by the shortcomings...and still he does good work here. I value his unvarnished and honest viewpoints here and I believe I'm in the majority who feel that way.

Personally I hope he stays with us and continues in his moderator role along with Rich and @krheinwald. I for one greatly appreciate their involvement here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The seat warmers are pretty weak. And I miss having knobs for the HVAC system.

Regarding stevelup, it sounds like most of his criticism is with the company itself and not the vehicle. I just got my P2 a week ago, so the only real issue I know of is with the the TACM. That all said, I think the ONLY company providing the interaction stevelup is seeking is Rivian. I don't see any of the traditional OEMs having any level of engagement, especially with the legacy dealership model.

·
Super Moderator
2,530 Posts
Just curious….how did you get to be ... a moderator
I'm a moderator because I was asked to be. I was one of the handful of die-hards who ordered a car before it had even entered production... before anyone had even driven it. I, like a few thousand others put our faith in Polestar and they certainly have delivered in terms of the actual vehicle.

What they have, in my opinion, totally failed to deliver on is engaging with the community. They refuse to discuss anything with anyone, are totally opaque, and they have no presence on any social media except the one they can directly control. And those people who do run their Facebook SM are a nightmare. They just copy and paste the same patronising crap over and over again.

Just curious…. (why) are still a moderator
You think the site owners should terminate moderators if the express dissent? You would prefer it if all the moderators were sycophantic fanboys? I don't think that is preferable personally.

I love helping people - I still help people, all the time, but that doesn't mean I can't be dissatisfied with Polestar (the company, not the car).

if you don’t like most of the things with the P2? Maybe you should sell the car and find a new forum? You might be happier? Just a suggestion?
Thanks, but no. I like the car, I just don't like the way they do business. It's a moot point though, this leopard can't change it's spots. They obviously decided right from the outset that they'd be aloof and that it would be beneath them to engage with the hoi polloi.

I strongly stand by this point - it was a total missed opportunity refusing point blank to engage with the community. It is this that I'm most annoyed about.

As to your criticisms….It’s a start up, and these types of issues are to be expected.
You did not disappoint on dropping the 'startup' bomb.

They are not a startup and never were a startup. They were a highly funded sub-division of the same parent company as Volvo. They brought an already developed Volvo car to market under a new 'brand'. The tech, the production line, many of the staff - all Volvo. They are nothing like a conventional startup. Heck in most regions all the support is provided by Volvo.

But what they thought would be a good idea would be to have no actual customer support. I mean what a stroke of genius outsourcing customer support to people who can't even access any of the internal systems... This is rubbish in my opinion, and to let it go on for so long is shocking.

part delays that have plagued every car manufacturer coming out of COVID, etc, etc….and you have a brutal environment to start a new company.
Yes, they did well to launch during all that, but how long can you drag that out as an excuse?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can’t say fairer than that. In my now two months of ownership I have experienced some of this distancing. First being asked to visit Taunton Volvo to check out my missing lighting - TV said they have no contact with PS, no direct communications and no contact details - which surprised me. Secondly, I was asked to send pictures - which I did. Haven’t heard back in a month despite three reminders and requests for action.

it is apparent that there is a communications vacuum. It’s also apparent while they have set up a response/communication system through customer service they have no intention to physically correct missing kit. If they can fix things digitally they can. But they have no intention to physically correct defects. The Volvo link in the UK is a scam IMHO when Volvo have no connection to them.

In one sense for me the shine has come off what could be a very good manufacturing/marketing/sales strategy born out of a solid brand. Keep up the good work @stevelup.

·
Registered
2020 LRDM Launch edition, Standard, Thunder with mudflaps
656 Posts
I agree with above. Steve has done a good job and always been helpful. I too was an early owner and had a few problems but luckily have been lucky with my local Volvo dealer so haven't been affected too much.
It isn't easy bringing a new product out and Polestar must learn to listen to customers, especially early adopters who can either promote them or put people off. Better training is needed for customer services and there should be some experts available who really know the car. Whilst pleasant one of the CS ladies had never even seen the car let alone been in one which really doesn't help her or the customer. People can be put off buying another if the service they receive is bad even if they like the car so Steve is right to complain about Polestar as a company, it is part of the ownership experience.
Personally I think our Moderators do a great job, too often taken for granted.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts