Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
How many components that I've managed to break the first year:
  • chip in center of whindshield at 300 miles.
  • Got a tire puncture that was patchable.
  • got too close to a curb with rear passenger wheel and broke off the little black plastic flap. Ended up removing the driver side one also for symmetry.
  • Cracked front passenger rim (that was pricey)
  • Passenger sun visor mirror cover pin sheared off when I tried to rub some gunk off the outside.

I can't have nice things...

·
Registered
2023 Polestar 2 dual motor extended range plus premium.
2 Posts
On the great side, it is much quieter than my Tesla m3. Slower but more comfortable. Also more practical in terms of height off the ground, and having the hatch. It is not nearly as comfortable, that center console is way too big. Very uncomfortable. Nowhere for my right leg. No cupholders. I love SiriusXM, Apple CarPlay, the hatch, and the auto open with your foot. Pilot Assist is useless. Just ping pongs across the lane. Miss EAP - and my husband’s Blue Cruise on his Mach E is way more effective.
My biggest frustration is with the Google Texh on my 2023. Way glitchy. Has shut down three or four times and I’ve had to do a full system reset. Only had the car a month.
I miss my Tesla.

·
Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
344 Posts
I'm a moderator because I was asked to be. I was one of the handful of die-hards who ordered a car before it had even entered production... before anyone had even driven it. I, like a few thousand others put our faith in Polestar and they certainly have delivered in terms of the actual vehicle.

What they have, in my opinion, totally failed to deliver on is engaging with the community. They refuse to discuss anything with anyone, are totally opaque, and they have no presence on any social media except the one they can directly control. And those people who do run their Facebook SM are a nightmare. They just copy and paste the same patronising crap over and over again.

You think the site owners should terminate moderators if the express dissent? You would prefer it if all the moderators were sycophantic fanboys? I don't think that is preferable personally.

I love helping people - I still help people, all the time, but that doesn't mean I can't be dissatisfied with Polestar (the company, not the car).

Thanks, but no. I like the car, I just don't like the way they do business. It's a moot point though, this leopard can't change it's spots. They obviously decided right from the outset that they'd be aloof and that it would be beneath them to engage with the hoi polloi.

I strongly stand by this point - it was a total missed opportunity refusing point blank to engage with the community. It is this that I'm most annoyed about.

You did not disappoint on dropping the 'startup' bomb.

They are not a startup and never were a startup. They were a highly funded sub-division of the same parent company as Volvo. They brought an already developed Volvo car to market under a new 'brand'. The tech, the production line, many of the staff - all Volvo. They are nothing like a conventional startup. Heck in most regions all the support is provided by Volvo.

But what they thought would be a good idea would be to have no actual customer support. I mean what a stroke of genius outsourcing customer support to people who can't even access any of the internal systems... This is rubbish in my opinion, and to let it go on for so long is shocking.

Yes, they did well to launch during all that, but how long can you drag that out as an excuse?
I agree with you 100%...this is not some little "startup"...it is division of a major legacy carmaker and they should have their act together by now. While there are unquestionable "bugs" with the car that should have been worked out by now, the biggest issue IS customer support or lack thereof. It's bordering on contempt for the customer.

The interaction I have experienced at the dealer level and with Polestar has been far less than acceptable. Even when I was contacted regarding the potential purchase of the BST 270, they were unable (more like unwilling) to answer my questions and dropped me without so much as a "thank you for being a Polestar owner." Very inept experience.

You are correct. Forums provide useful information and viewpoints--they are not fanboi sites, or should not primarily be so. Thanks for all you do!

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 LRSM, pilot + plus
138 Posts
  • I bought without a test drive, so the reverse beep was very surprising for me. I never knew this was a requirement for EVs.
  • The automatic handbrake whenever you are stopped for more than a couple seconds. Still haven't figured out how to turn that off yet.
  • I thought the real-world range would probably be less than advertised, but nope! I got over 470 km on one charge before (LRSM)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have LRSM. I was pleasantly surprised how great it drives for fwd. Not sure if it the pretty decent roads around here, or the weight of the car, or the Summer tires, but it just does not feel like a typical fwd car to me. It feels solid, heavy, planted, grippy, and I am not getting any noticable torque steer.

Our other car is a fwd SUV with all season tires and it slips around in the rain pretty easily.

I drove both vehicles around in the rain yesterday and it really was two very different experiences. Great job Polestar engineers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe I've been a bit of a dinosaur driving rwd manual trans cars forever but I find the driving experience of the P2 to be barely passable. It's really not an enthusiast drivers car and every time you push the limit you can tell the car hates being hustled. It prefers to be driven like an adult and not like a hooligan. The steering is rather numb and the ratio is slow and the chassis is not nearly neutral enough to be fun. I think all cars have been slowly having the driving enjoyment removed from them and my last car being a 2011 model it was a much more analog experience.

The p2 does have excellent adaptive cruise, and is great at eating up miles on the freeway. It's stunning to look at and gets lots of attention.

I do sometimes find myself wishing I'd bought a little analog sports car like a Cayman instead.

For driving like an adult the polestar is great but Id never go grab the keys and head for a twisty road with it.
I agree! My wife insisted we trade in my beloved 2011 stick-shift Mazda MX-5GT PRHT (rather than our 2016 Volvo XC70) for our first EV, the Polestar 2. I am missing the Mazda so much as the driving dynamics of my new LRDM PS2 (Plus/Pilot) are nowhere near as satisfying as the Mazda. That said, I really do appreciate the smooth and fast ride, planted handling, Swedish design ethos, the Android Automotive OS, and the solid quality. Interestingly, both my wife and (unusually) me feel just a little car sick in the PS2 when driving on the bendy backroads, especially with one pedal driving turned on (standard or low). We never experienced that in the MX-5 as it was a perfect 50/50 balance and had a low center of gravity. Hopefully we will get over the car-sick feeling - maybe we should drive more slowly and cautiously which defeats the purpose of having a 408HP car!

·
Registered
'22 P*2 dual motor, midnight, charcoal, performance pilot plus
257 Posts
Hopefully we will get over the car-sick feeling - maybe we should drive more slowly and cautiously which defeats the purpose of having a 408HP car!
Try disabling one pedal driving and see if the car sickness goes away. Had the same issue (my daughter feeling sick as a passenger), and this fixed it.

There are those on this forum who will say it's your fault for not using the OPD system with sufficient skill, but that's an uninformed (unless they've gone for a ride with you) and unhelpful (unless they can define the type of "skill" that prevents sickness) response.

Definitely worth a try before resorting to slower driving on the fun roads!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Try disabling one pedal driving and see if the car sickness goes away. Had the same issue (my daughter feeling sick as a passenger), and this fixed it.

There are those on this forum who will say it's your fault for not using the OPD system with sufficient skill, but that's an uninformed (unless they've gone for a ride with you) and unhelpful (unless they can define the type of "skill" that prevents sickness) response.

Yep, it’s the driver’s fault. My wife has severe issues with motion sickness. One reason I had to sell my boat, and she won’t fly unless heavily medicated, and refuses to drive with me in my 911. Jerkiness, and/ or sudden deceleration/acceleration severely nauseates her.

But she loves the P2, and especially the OPD…after she learned how to correctly modulate the acceleration peddle. It was a steep learning process. But now she has become a master at carefully letting off on the accelerator and the car’s regenerative braking gently slows the car. Nothing abrupt, if you know what you’re doing. But as I said, it’s a learning process, and quite foreign to all of our prior driving experiences with ICE cars.

Nevertheless, most EV car manufacturers know that OPD won’t be for everyone…which is why you can disable this option. But by doing so, you are truly missing out on one of the best features of EV cars…IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Yes, that's exactly what we did on the back roads yesterday, turned off OPD, and we both felt better. Not having traditional engine braking with OPD off feels weird though.
Having the vehicle in multiple different modes depending on the driving conditions can be a little disconcerting as you sort of have to relearn the technique appropriate to the mode.
It's actually alarming when the silly profile switching that occurs when you're passenger with her key/phone sits in the passenger seat when you are already in the driver's seat and the profile is switched without you noticing, until, that is, the car starts unexpectedly creeping forward at the stop sign: that I think is a horrible bug that ought to be fixed ASAP. Whoever unlocked the driver's door should set the profile for good while the car remains in operation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, it's quick, quiet and comfortable. I'm surprised at just how good this car is. I know there's a lot of complaining on the forum about the car, which is what forums are for, but this is the best car, by far, I've ever had. Maybe that says more about my previous cars. Lots of people around here have had some seriously top end cars and maybe they're not that impressed but I love my P2.
Love your quote!

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's actually alarming when the silly profile switching that occurs when you're passenger with her key/phone sits in the passenger seat when you are already in the driver's seat and the profile is switched without you noticing, until, that is, the car starts unexpectedly creeping forward at the stop sign: that I think is a horrible bug that ought to be fixed ASAP. Whoever unlocked the driver's door should set the profile for good while the car remains in operation.
What I have noticed is:

(1) The main/larger key fob has a profile saved into the memory of the fob.
(2) The small key fob (more like for a valet‘s use) doesn’t seem to register a profile…or at least it will not change the profile from my settings, to my wife’s settings (She prefers to carry the smaller fob).
(3) Your cell phones also have your profile…activated only when the Polestar app is open and running. Some people forget that just having the cell phone on and unlocked, does nothing to activating anything on the Polestar. The app has to be open/running.

Independently, I believe, profiles can be saved in the seat’s memory settings, #1 and #2. But you have to push the buttons to change profiles.

My wife likes having the valet sized key fob, and I the larger one. If she gets in the car after I have driven it, it does not automatically change to het profiles settings. She has to manually do that on the seat, or on the center screen. If the reverse happens, and I drive after she has driven, the P2 will automatically change profiles settings. No idea if this is how it’s suppose to work, but that’s how our car works. If we are both in the car, together, with our respective key fobs, the car will automatically change to the profile of the person lodging the larger key fob…that would be me, as I am usually driving when the two of us are in the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What I have noticed is:

(1) The main/larger key fob has a profile saved into the memory of the fob.
(2) The small key fob (more like for a valet‘s use) doesn’t seem to register a profile…or at least it will not change the profile from my settings, to my wife’s settings (She prefers to carry the smaller fob).
(3) Your cell phones also have your profile…activated only when the Polestar app is open and running. Some people forget that just having the cell phone on and unlocked, does nothing to activating anything on the Polestar. The app has to be open/running.

Independently, I believe, profiles can be saved in the seat’s memory settings, #1 and #2. But you have to push the buttons to change profiles.

My wife likes having the valet sized key fob, and I the larger one. If she gets in the car after I have driven it, it does not automatically change to het profiles settings. She has to manually do that on the seat, or on the center screen. If the reverse happens, and I drive after she has driven, the P2 will automatically change profiles settings. No idea if this is how it’s suppose to work, but that’s how our car works. If we are both in the car, together, with our respective key fobs, the car will automatically change to the profile of the person lodging the larger key fob…that would be me, as I am usually driving when the two of us are in the car.
Thanks - that gels with what I'm experiencing except that I'm don't have the full key fob. I wanted my wife to have the more traditional fob with actual buttons as that makes it easier for her. Hence the profile switching from what you say. I was shocked when I took delivery of the car that it didn't come with two traditional key fobs. The salesperson reminded me that I will have four keys if I include the phones. To me, intuitively, that wasn't good enough and sure enough it turns out that the phone Android app is pretty flaky and the phones don't always work, meaning I'm stuck with the valet/activity key that doesn't let me lock and unlock from a distance in the traditional manner. Also, the battery dies after three years and it can't be replaced and there is no metal key for emergencies. I think I'm going to have to fork out the $400+ to buy another full size key fob: that alone is a ridiculous price for an ugly piece of plastic and really annoying given that the 2021 model shipped with two full size keys and the activity key.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks - that gels with what I'm experiencing except that I'm don't have the full key fob. I wanted my wife to have the more traditional fob with actual buttons as that makes it easier for her. Hence the profile switching from what you say. I was shocked when I took delivery of the car that it didn't come with two traditional key fobs. The salesperson reminded me that I will have four keys if I include the phones. To me, intuitively, that wasn't good enough and sure enough it turns out that the phone Android app is pretty flaky and the phones don't always work, meaning I'm stuck with the valet/activity key that doesn't let me lock and unlock from a distance in the traditional manner. Also, the battery dies after three years and it can't be replaced and there is no metal key for emergencies. I think I'm going to have to fork out the $400+ to buy another full size key fob: that alone is a ridiculous price for an ugly piece of plastic and really annoying given that the 2021 model shipped with two full size keys and the activity key.

At first I was a bit miffed that it didn’t have two traditional key fobs, but once I got use to just unlocking, getting in and my profile appears, and driving off with my cell phone (which i carry with me everywhere I go), I often don’t even bother to carry the key fob with me. Just the cell phone. IMO, the next big advance will be when they put all this into my Apple Watch…as is, I use my watch to text and call, and rarely do I even use the cell phone.

My wife actually likes the smaller fob as she often will go somewhere to run/exercise and it’s just more convenient to carry than the full Sized fob.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yep, it’s the driver’s fault. My wife has severe issues with motion sickness. One reason I had to sell my boat, and she won’t fly unless heavily medicated, and refuses to drive with me in my 911. Jerkiness, and/ or sudden deceleration/acceleration severely nauseates her.

But she loves the P2, and especially the OPD…after she learned how to correctly modulate the acceleration peddle. It was a steep learning process. But now she has become a master at carefully letting off on the accelerator and the car’s regenerative braking gently slows the car. Nothing abrupt, if you know what you’re doing. But as I said, it’s a learning process, and quite foreign to all of our prior driving experiences with ICE cars.

Nevertheless, most EV car manufacturers know that OPD won’t be for everyone…which is why you can disable this option. But by doing so, you are truly missing out on one of the best features of EV cars…IMO.
💯 It's one hundred percent how one drives. I see too many people do that in an ice vehicle as well, they often don't even realise they are doing that. But with that driving style in a vehicle with high torque acceleration/braking that unsteady approach gets amplified, even in an ice vehicle I've had a few high power ones where the engine braking is strong and acceleration way more than the polestar, and makes people sick. Easily overcome by either adjusting the driving style, or switching it off.

But dude, you've missed an opportunity with your boat, great example of the same effect my twin Volvo-penta 5.7 V8 did provide the same feeling in unskilled hands out on the sea. And with the rough weather out here definitely not easy at times. You could have kept the boat and had fun with your mates :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally, I like the smaller activity fob. My wife uses the bigger traditional fob with buttons.

One surprise while using adaptive cruise control; this is my first car with the feature. I was on the 405 in LA around the Long Beach area and I was in a section that had a relatively tight left hand bend. The car in the lane to my right was ahead of me about 2-3 car lengths. Due to the tightness of the bend, the car was visually straight in front of me and the adaptive cruise control thought the car was right in front of me and hit the brakes relatively hard, slowing from 65mph to 60 in about a second. I guess only smarter systems that take into account steering wheel angle would realize I was turning and not going in a straight path to hit the other car. Are there other smarter systems? I don't know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree! My wife insisted we trade in my beloved 2011 stick-shift Mazda MX-5GT PRHT (rather than our 2016 Volvo XC70) for our first EV, the Polestar 2. I am missing the Mazda so much as the driving dynamics of my new LRDM PS2 (Plus/Pilot) are nowhere near as satisfying as the Mazda. That said, I really do appreciate the smooth and fast ride, planted handling, Swedish design ethos, the Android Automotive OS, and the solid quality. Interestingly, both my wife and (unusually) me feel just a little car sick in the PS2 when driving on the bendy backroads, especially with one pedal driving turned on (standard or low). We never experienced that in the MX-5 as it was a perfect 50/50 balance and had a low center of gravity. Hopefully we will get over the car-sick feeling - maybe we should drive more slowly and cautiously which defeats the purpose of having a 408HP car!
Wow -i am impressed but also confused..... but I get you. There is no competition when it comes to handling between a 5000 lbs awd pig with a bunch of electric nannies and electric steering and a 2400 lbs 50/50 RWD with one of the finest steering setups in the business.

The fact that you even compare them (or considered them in the same sentence) is an amazing compliment to Polestar.

I was most pleasantly surprised how solid the car feels (thank you Volvo heritage). I did not expect MX5 or Cayman agility but the car reminded me a bit of my BMW GS. A heavy vehicle but once you are under way, the weight seems to melt away too.

Other things:
  • The steering wheel heater actually works (my Audi was always a tepid pretend heating).
  • I like the cockpit feel
  • At the same time, I know its a smallish car (which was part of why I love it) - i would not consider it a family car.
  • It looks great in person but also its quirkiness reminds me fondly of a Saab 9000 I once had for 4 months (it was constantly broken but when it worked it was amazing)
  • the quiet confidence. You know it can hoof it when you need it, but it does not announce itself to everyone like that.
  • And critically important - it is NOT a Tesla.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what we did on the back roads yesterday, turned off OPD, and we both felt better. Not having traditional engine braking with OPD off feels weird though.
Having the vehicle in multiple different modes depending on the driving conditions can be a little disconcerting as you sort of have to relearn the technique appropriate to the mode.
I turned OPD to light and also turned creep on. It works for me much better than the standard setting.
I once had an Uber ride in a Tesla 3 and I almost barfed all over the driver. I can totally see how OPD can promote car sickness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow -i am impressed but also confused..... but I get you. There is no competition when it comes to handling between a 5000 lbs awd pig with a bunch of electric nannies and electric steering and a 2400 lbs 50/50 RWD with one of the finest steering setups in the business.

The fact that you even compare them (or considered them in the same sentence) is an amazing compliment to Polestar.

I was most pleasantly surprised how solid the car feels (thank you Volvo heritage). I did not expect MX5 or Cayman agility but the car reminded me a bit of my BMW GS. A heavy vehicle but once you are under way, the weight seems to melt away too.

Other things:
  • The steering wheel heater actually works (my Audi was always a tepid pretend heating).
  • I like the cockpit feel
  • At the same time, I know its a smallish car (which was part of why I love it) - i would not consider it a family car.
  • It looks great in person but also its quirkiness reminds me fondly of a Saab 9000 I once had for 4 months (it was constantly broken but when it worked it was amazing)
  • the quiet confidence. You know it can hoof it when you need it, but it does not announce itself to everyone like that.
  • And critically important - it is NOT a Tesla.
I think we're on the wavelength! I owned a quirky Saab 9-3 before the MX-5/Miata and then a quirky Saab-900 before that. I also have owned three Volvo wagons in the last 30 years, with the latest being a 2016 XC-70 - an amazing car but not all all fun to drive. I was really sad to see my 2011 MX-5 go, although I did sell it to an enthusiast who has two other Miatas - the NA and the NB. Mine was an NC, so she will be well looked after.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally, I like the smaller activity fob. My wife uses the bigger traditional fob with buttons.

One surprise while using adaptive cruise control; this is my first car with the feature. I was on the 405 in LA around the Long Beach area and I was in a section that had a relatively tight left hand bend. The car in the lane to my right was ahead of me about 2-3 car lengths. Due to the tightness of the bend, the car was visually straight in front of me and the adaptive cruise control thought the car was right in front of me and hit the brakes relatively hard, slowing from 65mph to 60 in about a second. I guess only smarter systems that take into account steering wheel angle would realize I was turning and not going in a straight path to hit the other car. Are there other smarter systems? I don't know.
I noticed that behavior just yesterday. I don't get that with adaptive cruise control on my 2016 Volvo XC-70 - you would think that since we have lane keep assist also, the PS2 would be able to figure out when the lanes curve while running adaptive cruise control.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts