Polestar Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,057 Posts
Any worries about removing the decals so close to having had 2x coats of ceramic applied?
My detailer told me the paint would look slightly darker when coated, so removing the patches after coating could leave visible traces.

Would be great if you voluntered to test this statement, though ;) Should be fixed easily, if this happens by applying CC to the exposed areas.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So. A few days ago, I’d parked the car for 5 minutes while grabbing a cup of coffee on my way home. I got back in the car and was about to drive off when a man walked by and started waving excitedly at me whilst talking on the phone (this happens often enough now that I recognize this is clearly about the car). I rolled down the window and heard him say into the phone, “I found the owner of the Polestar! Can I call you back?” I ended up getting out of the car and had a lovely conversation about the brand/heritage and a quick tour and talk about the specs and my impressions.

This gentleman had not heard of the brand before our chat, and the only way he’d even known what to call this beautiful car was from checking out the decal. So, the decal did its job, and had I not come along at the right time, a potential buyer would at least have become aware of Polestar enough to know what to Google. He’d already told whoever-it-was on the other end of the phone about it before we had the opportunity to connect.

This is why I’m leaving mine on. I want Polestar to build awareness and be successful (as does Polestar), and I really appreciate the restraint it must take for a new entrant to eschew the standard, highly visible automotive branding and instead give us something (I feel is) tasteful and understated. For me, it strikes a balance that is not in-your-face, but allows an interested party to at least know what they’re looking at.

Not that it’s our duty as customers to provide free advertising space for Polestar by any means, but certainly they’re hoping that as owners we become promoters, and allowing interested passers-by to discover what it is they’re looking at seems like a small and passive way to promote Polestar if that’s on your agenda. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
Mine had to come off as part of the ceramic coating process... and to be honest, I quite miss them! They were an interesting design detail that set the car apart from every other 3 box saloon shape from the side. Mind you, one of them was very slightly wonky, so they might have had to come off one day anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The decal doesn't bother me (yet).

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I removed mine couple of days after getting mine. Came off easy with a hairdryer. As mine is a lease car, Ive stuck them on a piece paper and I will attempt to see if they stick back on when it comes to hand it back or will get new ones made. I think they look terrifble.
When you turn in the lease you can just say they came off in the wash. I can't imagine you will be responsible for them, and I have to imagine dealers have a stack of them.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
This is why I’m leaving mine on. I want Polestar to build awareness and be successful (as does Polestar), and I really appreciate the restraint it must take for a new entrant to eschew the standard, highly visible automotive branding and instead give us something (I feel is) tasteful and understated. For me, it strikes a balance that is not in-your-face, but allows an interested party to at least know what they’re looking at.
This is sort of my opinion so long as they don't get grungy.

I like watching people pass me on the highway staring down at the sticker trying to read it. :D

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
71 Posts
Thanks Dave, mind now made up... They're staying on (for now (I think)).

I like their appearance, very designer-y, a little like the Pantone mugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It seems the majority prefer "de-flowered" but I'm going to keep mine for now and concentrate on feeling inadequate for not getting the car coated. I didn't even know that was a thing! Re the brand recognition thing, has anyone else been asked "Is it a Tesla ?". Happened two or three times to me. I find it really strange that people know enough to recognise it is electric but don't realise the lack of hideous styling means it isn't a Tesla.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It seems the majority prefer "de-flowered" but I'm going to keep mine for now and concentrate on feeling inadequate for not getting the car coated. I didn't even know that was a thing! Re the brand recognition thing, has anyone else been asked "Is it a Tesla ?". Happened two or three times to me. I find it really strange that people know enough to recognise it is electric but don't realise the lack of hideous styling means it isn't a Tesla.
I’ve been asked “is it a Tesla?” But I think the inquirer meant “is it an EV?” and using Tesla as a generic term. Once I said it’s basically an electric Volvo they remarked that they didn’t know non Tesla companies were getting into electric cars

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It's a lot easier to take the sticker off later than to get it back on.

As for coating, it's a relatively new fad. At the risk (maybe a certainty) of sparking a fierce debate, I find it's just a way to make money for the "coaters". I've had cars for 10+ years, never thought to coat them, and if properly cared for the paint looked as good at year 10 as year 1.

People seem to think anything they don't recognize is a Tesla. Frankly I find it annoying and insulting.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts