Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it was late June 2020. I was looking on a car lease website at the available electric vehicles, as my company car was due for change in October. It was love at first sight. I hadn’t heard of the brand. It looked cold & cool. A little out of my budget, but anything else would have been a reluctant compromise. Nothing, even +£15k more expensive came close for me.
I ordered in July, delivered October.

Apologies if this has been raised as a topic before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me it was July 2020. I was considering the TM3 for several months, but it just felt wrong. On researching the Tesla I uncovered a new Polestar brand. Everything about the look resonated with me. All my boxes ticked. Ordered same day, delivered to Los Angeles in December. Total web based purchase. Super happy.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
301 Posts
For me it was July 2020. I was considering the TM3 for several months, but it just felt wrong. On researching the Tesla I uncovered a new Polestar brand. Everything about the look resonated with me. All my boxes ticked. Ordered same day, delivered to Los Angeles in December. Total web based purchase. Super happy.
Would have been May 2020 for me. I've been shopping for an EV for years and a review came out comparing it to the model 3. I thought, "that looks much nicer than a Tesla" so I did a little more homework and dropped my deposit. Wish I knew what review/video that turned the light on for me.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Fall 2019
Had been wanting to go EV after deciding that I in fact hated my ICE (a practical and functioning but entirely soulless Camry that had a weird drive feel and a couple rattles suggesting something wasn’t right) and wanted to jump aboard the EV train as an avowed tech nerd. Got authorization from the missus to go and get an EV. Thought I would jump right into a Tesla because that’s what everyone does here. And the model 3 just didn’t do it for me on the test drive; and I thought the model S and X were too much $$. Model Y wasnt out but figured it would just be a bulbous 3. Elon’s Twitter feed from then pretty much sealed the decision that we wouldn’t give him any of our money.

So then went searching. Found out about the Polestar through some “exciting EVs coming soon!” list along with the xc40. I was immediately drawn to the Polestar and after a lot YouTube watching and article reading and some dithering put my deposit down in Jan ‘20 (also put one on the xc40 too just in case). In the meanwhile checked out all the varied other options, and developed a couple neuroses in the waiting game, well chronicled on the forum, until finally took delivery in November, over a year after I decided to go EV.
Good riddance to that Camry.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My husband told me about it in early 2019 - he heard about it via Jalopnik. He knew I was interested in an electric car, but I was not a solid Tesla devotee. I went through the configirator and liked what I saw - I'm a sucker for a tan interior.

·
Registered
333 Posts
February 2019. I'd heard about the Polestar 1, but decided a hybrid was uninteresting :). But as soon as I read the announcement of the 2, my reaction was "OK, that's what I've been looking for" and I put down a deposit on the spot.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
I really liked my Volvo C30. It was just the right set of trade-offs for me between styling, performance, and comfort. But Volvo never brought the V40 to the US. I had done some research on our carbon footprint and it was clear an electric vehicle would make a huge difference in what we output given my commute and our energy sources. I was very eager to go all-electric.

I remember the brand spin-off announcement press release. I just recently looked it up because I emailed it to some friends. Was 17 Oct 2017.

All Polestars will be ordered online, and you don't buy the car, you subscribe to it for two or three years. The subscription will be all-inclusive; Polestar will come fetch (and return) your car when it's time to be serviced, utilizing the phone-as-a-key system that has been testing in the aforementioned concierge pilot. And if you need a different Volvo or Polestar vehicle—like that last-minute cross-country grandfather clock delivery that supposedly governs so many car-buying decisions—you can borrow one and pay for it as part of the monthly fee.
3 July 2018 I configured a Polestar 1, assuming the above would be true and I’d change my subscription to their future all-electric vehicle whenever that came.

Jan 2019 I put money down to preorder Polestar 1. But soon after was told none of that subscription stuff was happening here. Waited for the rumored all-electric 2 and switched to that in Feb 2019.

Edit: Wanted to look up my conversation with the spouse 😄
57DE3AD9-94C5-49EF-B746-A65BD5F89A78.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
October 2019. I just didn't like what I saw with the upcoming BMW M4. I just couldn't get my head around the nose. Started searching the web for something maybe even electric. Saw the Polestar, read about it... Seemed perfect. Loved the styling. Blown away by the specs. Less than what we had budgeted. Called to see if the back seats would fold down... And... get this... got a quick response, yes! Put my deposit down.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Since 2018 I have had a Tesla Model S and as soon as it came out a Model 3 configured and saved. S was a lot of money, and the 3 looked too small. Especially when I finally saw one in person. But I really wanted a BEV as I knew that was the future. I saw the Polestar 1 videos and was really impressed even though I knew I would never get one. But the Polestar 2 really looked great. So I configured one in May 2020 and put my deposit down June 15.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Aug 2020. I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for the electric version of the XC40 to come out and stumbled upon a review of the Polestar. Had never heard of it until then. I reached out to the local Volvo dealership (next to where the popup is now near me), had a chat with the manager there, really liked her attitude and what she said about both Volvo and Polestar, and my order was in within a day or two of considering.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Google I/O 2019. The infotainment was the focus, but the car caught my eye.
I remember seeing the e-tron at the 2017 I/O down in Mtn View - that sparked my first real interest in EVs even though I'd seen the early Volt at Moscone Center at an I/O in 2014, 15, or 2016 (don't remember, but I know the car I saw there was way cooler than the one that eventually launched)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would say July/Aug 2020 - saw the Carwow review and had my interest piqued. We have been discussing a new car for a long time but with my wife being vegan most premium cars were out due to the leather interiors so we had been in a bit of stalemate. The look of the car, the infotainment system and the vegan interior hooked me, and the fact it was an EV just made it a real target. Test drive at Farnborough in Oct and I was sold. A quite really disappointing drive of a TM3 a week later just left me to sort finances out. Deposit down Nov 13th, delivery exactly two months later. Now I am just grumpy I can’t drive it due to current UK restrictions (I keep looking for excuses).

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
138 Posts
January 2020. One of my mates sent me a picture of the Polestar 1&2 at the Brussels auto show. He's been a Volvo enthousiast all his life, me not so much. I felt the instant appeal of the P*1, but was shocked when I saw the price. Was turned off by the P*2 when I assumed it was a 4-door sedan with the letterbox-size opening of the trunk. The 1's price didn't do any good, too.

To my delight I saw it was a hatchback, with a price similar to the TM3 :)

I didn't order, but waited until September 2020 to do a test drive. I was extatic, and laid in a cool down period of a few weeks to figure out the financials.

Ordered 4 Nov 2020, delivered 21 Jan 2021. The rest is history in the making!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
867 Posts
Sunday, 7 July 2019 at Goodwood Festival of Speed. Started the preorder process 21st of June 2020, order took a while to be finalised for various reasons (there were disagreements between Polestar and leasing companies in the UK in July, sorted around August) and was delivered 10th of December, a couple of months later than originally planned.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Aware of P2 early 19 (reveal was end Feb). Couldn’t bring myself to buy a Tesla 3 with build quality so Ok I’ll wait a year - preorder 29 Sept 2019 delivered 30 Sept 2020.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Right around February 2019. As a vegan, I follow a lot of vegan news and groups, and they promoted the heck out of the vegan interior (and phone as key, but I won't rub salt in that wound). I thought at the time it might be out of my price range, but I changed jobs a few months later which came with a salary increase and access to very affordable work chargers so that sealed the deal.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Right around February 2019. As a vegan, I follow a lot of vegan news and groups, and they promoted the heck out of the vegan interior (and phone as key, but I won't rub salt in that wound). I thought at the time it might be out of my price range, but I changed jobs a few months later which came with a salary increase and access to very affordable work chargers so that sealed the deal.
You see, skeptics?! It does matter!

·
Registered
48 Posts
it was May or June in 2019. I had to drive 2 hours to the other side of Beijing to apply for a Visa. Saw the Polestar Space on my way up, was curious instantly. So when the Visa was taken care off, I went down stairs had an informative deep dive introduction to ... Polestar 1... hahaha. Too bad it wasn't a full-on EV, so I had the sales help me be familar with Polestar 2. I remember the car could not even turn on the screen in the middle, but the design still got my heart. The reps were really passionate about their product, the presentation was very awesome, so I didn't hesitate to put down earnest money, registered for the prototype test drive. (which happened almost a year later). I actually drove the 2nd and 3rd working Polestar 2 according to the test drive coach, back then they did not have enough cars so they towed the cars to many cities in order to let more people test drive. Because Beijing and Shanghai had most orders, so we were lucky enough to experience the car early.

BTW, that Polestar Space had a great location in a "high-end and artsy” Mall/Office building called Parkview Green Fangcaodi. That building was filled with modern art pieces like statues and installations so the simplicit Polestar Space design can contribute to the environment and stand out and doesn't feel odd. It was easy to pick up on Polestar brand‘s notion of sustinability, design-focused, and luxury.

·
Registered
463 Posts
February 2019, internet announcement about the launch. Then watched the launch end of Feb '19 and put downpayment in next morning. I never do something that emotional, but it was appealing (and refundable...). Wanted to make sure i did not miss out. Just realized, I joined this - at that time - completely empty forum on Mar 1, 2019...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts