Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
LRDM, plus, magnesium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking a while and found the forum extremely useful - thanks to everyone for making it so.
I now have an issue that I can see no threads about. I've had the vehicle since April this year and encountered no real problems. However, I'm now experiencing a loud whistling noise from the front of the panoramic roof when driving at 70+ mph. Has anyone else had this problem? I spoke to PS support who said that they've never encountered this so suggested that I take it to my nearest Volvo dealer for inspection. I can't see anything obvious (like the roof being loose!) but it's still worrying. It's booked in for Monday so we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I haven't heard of this problem either.

Do you have anything attached that might have an effect? Do you have roof bars mounted or any kind of bug shield, mud flaps, farings attached?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's funny you posted this because I was just logging in to find information on this. My car does this too, but its also at low speeds. Even 35-40mph will do it. Its been doing it since I picked up the car. I do have the roof bars installed. It sounds like the roof is loose or something and air is getting in.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
It's funny you posted this because I was just logging in to find information on this. My car does this too, but its also at low speeds. Even 35-40mph will do it. Its been doing it since I picked up the car. I do have the roof bars installed. It sounds like the roof is loose or something and air is getting in.
Roof bars will definitely make noise. I've had that on cars even without a sunroof.

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
392 Posts
My roof bars whistle, I only install them when I'm going to use the roof box for long journeys.
I have had the weird pressure pulsing (as if a window is slightly open) when using a bike carrier the hooks to the boot/trunk and I tightened it too much so the boot/trunk wasn't quite sealing.
Could it be something like that, a door/window/boot/trunk not quite sealing causing the whistle...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems like you guys may be right at least for me. Probably the roof rack. Interestingly, it didn't happen today on the highway. Then it did later but at lower speeds. I'm also wondering if it has to do with the seal on the door as the metal brackets on the roof rack go into the sealing. Maybe sometimes it doesn't make a good seal.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I'm also wondering if it has to do with the seal on the door as the metal brackets on the roof rack go into the sealing. Maybe sometimes it doesn't make a good seal.
Absolutely a possibility. Depending on the rack manufacturer, some make better fitting clips than others. And they all compress the rubber seals to some degree. The only time that didn't happen was on one Volvo I had with special indentations in the frame for a rack to latch onto.

·
Registered
LRDM, plus, magnesium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: Just back from Volvo dealer.

To answer some of the other questions first: no roof rack or any other after market attachments, all windows closed and I have not had the windshield replaced. The very loud whistling I reported was coming from the centre front of the pano roof. I have dash cam footage recording the offending ear-piercing noise which I left with Volvo who will pass it on to Polestar for review.

Anyway ... after their inspection, where they found nothing untoward with the roof, the seals or anything in that area, I took the Volvo engineer for a spin onto dual carriageway at speeds over 70 mph and ... nothing. No whistling noise. Clearly it's intermittent and I can only suspect that it's a particular combination of temperature, wind speed and direction that are the main factors. However, given that Polestar have not come across this issue and neither has anyone on this forum (except those with roof bars installed) it is a bit concerning because, surely, those same conditions must have occurred at some time, somewhere to somebody else. In the mean time I shall wait with bated breath for Polestar's review of the report from Volvo together with my dash cam footage.

·
Registered
22 P2 — DM / SNOW / PLUS / PILOT
1 Posts
i have this issue too — just started a week ago, maybe? i have the roof bars as well (been installed since pick up with no whistling) — going to remove them this weekend and see if that fixes anything...

·
Registered
LRDM, plus, magnesium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will be interesting to see if there’s no whistling with the bars removed.
In the meantime I’ve heard back from Polestar via Volvo. They want to keep my car for a couple of days to ‘run some tests’. I haven’t booked it in yet as I have family issues that are more pressing at the moment. Will report back after I’ve arranged a booking and they complete their tests but that will likely only be in 4 or 5 weeks time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a different issue, but for those with roof bars, I figured out where the whistling noise comes from on the roof bars. It's not the actual bars seemingly. It's the small space between the metal brackets and the edge of the roof. It forms a little tunnel where wind can go through. If I roll down the window and block that area with my hand the whistling goes away. I've been thinking about aesthetic ways to block those holes.

·
Registered
LRDM, plus, magnesium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this is a different issue, but for those with roof bars, I figured out where the whistling noise comes from on the roof bars. It's not the actual bars seemingly. It's the small space between the metal brackets and the edge of the roof. It forms a little tunnel where wind can go through. If I roll down the window and block that area with my hand the whistling goes away. I've been thinking about aesthetic ways to block those holes.
A little tunnel is what I think is the problem I’m having but without the roof bars. Although there’s nothing obvious on visual inspection and since it’s intermittent, I think it only occurs in circumstances that are just right. But why is it happening to me and not anyone else? (so it seems). It suggests a manufacturing defect, possibly where those particular conditions are opening up a tunnel for the wind to whistle through. Anyway, we’ll see once they’ve taken my car for inspection, but I’m not holding my breath on them actually finding something …_

1 - 20 of 20 Posts