Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think it's a dumb idea not to support Android Auto?

Yes, I understand automotive is a much better experience with it all being self contained in the car, but it relies on developers to port their app to automotive, and given the current market share, I can't imagine this happening very quickly. For example, some of google's first party apps don't even work on automotive - like waze. So how quickly will third party developers?

I know that more cars are going to adopt automotive in the future, but there are already millions of cars that have auto support. So if a developer is going to make a resource investment, where do you think they'll go?

What's even more insulting is that they are going to add CarPlay support. So all of the Apple apps that have CarPlay will work but for Android phones, we're stuck waiting for developers to port their apps. Which means you're better off having an iPhone for Google's own infotainment than having an Android smartphone. What sense does that make?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I think if they were to support AA they would be undermining their own forward strategy. I think it's as simple as that. Strategic vs practical.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think if they were to support AA they would be undermining their own forward strategy. I think it's as simple as that. Strategic vs practical.
That's what assumed too, if apps can just work with Android Auto, why port to Automotive?

But then why support CarPlay which is just Apple's mirror. It only punishes Android users.

Also, if Google want to show their commitment and convince developers, maybe they should have ported their second most populate navigation app (i.e. waze).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
That's what assumed too, if apps can just work with Android Auto, why port to Automotive?

But then why support CarPlay which is just Apple's mirror. It only punishes Android users.

Also, if Google want to show their commitment and convince developers, maybe they should have ported their second most populate navigation app (i.e. waze).
Your making good practical arguments, but not strategic ones.

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
107 Posts
I completely agree witho you factor. Because I am too lazy to type it all out again here is a link to the same point I made elsewhere. I emailed Polestar to ask whether and when to expect Android Auto on 30 October and haven't had a reply*. Having given them a nudge today I will post their response when it is received.

*I suspect they have been occupied with sorting out everyone's replacement flux capacitors or whatever you call them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have a new Volvo XC40 with Android Auto. Amazon music, stitcher, audible, and XM Sirius work great on it and will not work on the PS2. Of course Android Auto has been around a while and our first car with it in 2015 was very limited in apps like the PS2 today. It's would be nice for PS to support it as an option like apple carplay!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Does anyone know if iHeart Radio is available on Android Automotive?
yep! It’s there along with a bunch of other radio and podcast appss
I honestly don’t see the need for Android auto as a skin on top of Android automotive. Yes there will be some time for the developers to port their apps to it. But it just seems to be a matter of time.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
25 Posts
yep! It’s there along with a bunch of other radio and podcast appss
I honestly don’t see the need for Android auto as a skin on top of Android automotive. Yes there will be some time for the developers to port their apps to it. But it just seems to be a matter of time.
It'll be interesting to see how long that lag becomes. If the P*2 and XC40 are the only supporters in 2021, then I doubt smaller app developers will port their apps. Unless Google is funding app developers to do the work, I'm not sure there will be enough market share to create the demand.

I think Android Auto would still be helpful in this transitional period, but I guess this is what we signup for as an early adopter! 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
138 Posts
In-car infotainment is just painfully slow. It took ages for a direct Bluetooth connection to become mainstream, ages for Android Auto / Apple CarPlay to become commonplace (and we're still not there yet), ages for a USB-stick to replace the CD-tray, etc.

Just give it time. And I'm sure it will go 100x faster than in the examples above

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Other manufacturers are also adopting Android Automotive, including the entire PSA (Peugeot, Citreon, DS, Vauxhall, Opel etc) group from 2023 so it should grow steadily over the coming year or two and ultimately replace Android Auto.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Other manufacturers are also adopting Android Automotive, including the entire PSA (Peugeot, Citreon, DS, Vauxhall, Opel etc) group from 2023 so it should grow steadily over the coming year or two and ultimately replace Android Auto.
GM is adopting it too

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
107 Posts
It's only going to get more difficult to distinguish a Polestar from a Citroën...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts