Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
The same was said while holding dumb phones 25 years ago. Now we're using smartphones for critical navigation instead of foldable maps from fueling stations.

Feelings should never hold back technical progress.
Ya thats fine with a smartphone. BUT NOT WHILE DRIVING!! I dont want a bunch of ppl reading Whatsapp messages while going 60mph!! LOL!!!!

·
Registered
P2 | LRSM | Moon | Pilot
96 Posts
Ya thats fine with a smartphone. BUT NOT WHILE DRIVING!! I dont want a bunch of ppl reading Whatsapp messages while going 60mph!! LOL!!!!
It reads the messages out in the Google assistant Voice. Then you can choose to reply (again by voice). It's useful, it's available on almost every cheap new car on the market, and it's currently not available on the Polestar unless you have an iPhone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It reads the messages out in the Google assistant Voice. Then you can choose to reply (again by voice). It's useful, it's available on almost every cheap new car on the market, and it's currently not available on the Polestar unless you have an iPhone.
Meh, if your WhatsApp messages so important, you should pull over and do that stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well there's classes of apps right. Those that work while parked and those that are allowed while driving like responding to a message by voice. Whatsapp texting is not a good example. But it would be nice if it allowed integration to respond with voice to text.

·
Registered
P2 | LRSM | Moon | Pilot
96 Posts
Meh, if your WhatsApp messages so important, you should pull over and do that stuff.
How do you know if it's important or not, unless the car can read the message out to you?
As soon as things like WhatsApp and SoundCloud are on AAOS I'll have no need for AA, but until then, Polestar need to enable it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How do you know if it's important or not, unless the car can read the message out to you?
As soon as things like WhatsApp and SoundCloud are on AAOS I'll have no need for AA, but until then, Polestar need to enable it.
I guess you can ask your phone to read it out for you?? lol

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Nope, cos the car already listens for "Hey Google". Android users in an Android car are currently second class citizens compared to iPhone users.
Just FYI, you can disable the car's Assistant listening for the keyphrase and just use the steering wheel dedicated button to trigger the Assistant. The phone Assistant instance would then trigger from the keyphrase.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
122 Posts
Well I guess if its important, they would actually call you and not send a WhatsApp??
^^^
This!
Never understood the desire to be distracted by messaging in the car, if it's important, they call, if it's not, messaging can wait.
Don't even get me started on group chats on whatsapp going through the car

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
We are so freaking attached to our phones it's ridiculous. Personally I think they should get rid of all apps in the car.

As for AA, it's more about product path than functionality. Once they implement AA then AAOS as a dev platform is going to be history. Because no app developer will have any incentive to port to AAOS. Then everyone who loves AA will be thrilled, and anyone who is hoping to eventually see fully integrated AAOS will be disappointed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once they implement AA then AAOS as a dev platform is going to be history.
Well they implemented Car Play which is the same idea for Apple rather than Android. Perhaps the thinking is that it's ok because that is a side show of a platform? As I said, no strategy going on here, just random blunder.

As for those who say it's not useful and shouldn't be needed, that may be true for you but it's wrong for others like me. Others saying it's distracting seem to be commenting without the benefit of having used Android Auto which I find strange. If you don't like apps, great but I use some and I'm not really interested in being criticized for that.

Another observation is that a casual check on features before buying the car lures you into thinking that it comes with Android Auto. Reviews are out there saying it does - I think they confuse Automotive with Auto ( who would have thought ....?). I imagined even the manual confirmed it but I found I had googled my way to a Polestar 1 page by mistake.

I plugged in my pixel phone fully expecting it to spring into life like it would even on any budget new car. I had to get on the chat line to be told that this vital feature is missing.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
It's only vital if you have an app fetish. There's no excuse for anyone plopping down 50k+ without doing due diligence. Carplay is not the same because it doesn't tread on the strategic direction, and it keeps the US market quiet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's only vital if you have an app fetish. There's no excuse for anyone plopping down 50k+ without doing due diligence. Carplay is not the same because it doesn't tread on the strategic direction, and it keeps the US market quiet.
I guess you don't like Android Auto, that's ok.

It's a dogma eat dogma world.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
122 Posts
and it keeps the US market quiet.
That's the only reason I can see why they've done it.

I have an iPhone, I won't ever use CarPlay because I cannot see any benefit over AAOS for my own personal situation.
Everything provided in AAOS works well enough for my driving experience to be more than satisfactory, and in a car, that's the only thing that matters to me.

*I hear the waze argument, but just drive slower and the risk of getting caught is much lower

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
374 Posts
Of course I completely agree with @_ben_ and @Electron.

To summarise the naysayers:

• AAOS has all the apps you'll ever need.
  • CarPlay was necessary for iPhone users but there is no justification for including AA in a car running AAOS.
  • In fact including AA will stall development of AAOS so for everyone's benefit we must not have it.
  • Then again, a car doesn't actually need apps anyway [hangs towel over screen and proudly stacks up a pile of maps on the passenger seat].
  • The presence of AA in other cars is irrelevant because we have AAOS and no other car is as good as a Polestar.

As an AAOS beta tester my opinion is that its functions may as well be limited to what it does well now while the addition of AA/CarPlay can be used for individual users to safely access the apps that they need. Why object to having WhatsApp when its inclusion in CarPlay matches the (safe) functionality of the existing text messaging function? I set up a profile for my wife to see what CarPlay could do and I'm now a little jealous that she can operate Audible without breaking the law. Why argue against including AA when the functionality it would bring to Android users would be brought into line with iPhone users?

AAOS was Polestar's USP. By the time my lease ends the competition will be strong.

·
Registered
SLR in Midnight. Slate & Sunroof ( On order, still driving my VW Scirroco
192 Posts
Anyone else think it's a dumb idea not to support Android Auto?

Yes, I understand automotive is a much better experience with it all being self contained in the car, but it relies on developers to port their app to automotive, and given the current market share, I can't imagine this happening very quickly. For example, some of google's first party apps don't even work on automotive - like waze. So how quickly will third party developers?

I know that more cars are going to adopt automotive in the future, but there are already millions of cars that have auto support. So if a developer is going to make a resource investment, where do you think they'll go?

What's even more insulting is that they are going to add CarPlay support. So all of the Apple apps that have CarPlay will work but for Android phones, we're stuck waiting for developers to port their apps. Which means you're better off having an iPhone for Google's own infotainment than having an Android smartphone. What sense does that make?
This reminds me of the Google Earth conflict on my iPad years ago. Suddenly was unable to use it.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts