Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

Registered
AAOS has all the apps you'll ever need.
It doesn't. At least not yet. And the goal is to get there and not do anything to torpedo that.

In fact including AA will stall development of AAOS so for everyone's benefit we must not have it.
It won't stall dev of AAOS, just of porting apps to AAOS. So you can think short term, or long term.

Then again, a car doesn't actually need apps anyway [hangs towel over screen and proudly stacks up a pile of maps on the passenger seat].
That's funny because AAOS has the premier map app in it. Having said that, and having navigated around the world with paper maps before Google even existed, I can still say that no app matches a paper map. Particularly when the app gets you lost (which it absolutely has done), or your power goes out, or your cell coverage goes out, or any number of other tech issues.

Why object to having WhatsApp when its inclusion in CarPlay matches the (safe) functionality of the existing text messaging function?
No objection at all. So long as there are AAOS cars without AA, Whatsapp is likely to spend capital to port the app to AAOS.

Why argue against including AA when the functionality it would bring to Android users would be brought into line with iPhone users?
Only because the integration of all these apps with AAOS will be so much better than CP or AA, and short circuiting that is in no one's interest other than incredible spoiled first world folks who have to have their favorite app and have to have it now! 馃憺

Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
It doesn't. At least not yet. And the goal is to get there and not do anything to torpedo that.

It won't stall dev of AAOS, just of porting apps to AAOS. So you can think short term, or long term.

That's funny because AAOS has the premier map app in it. Having said that, and having navigated around the world with paper maps before Google even existed, I can still say that no app matches a paper map. Particularly when the app gets you lost (which it absolutely has done), or your power goes out, or your cell coverage goes out, or any number of other tech issues.

No objection at all. So long as there are AAOS cars without AA, Whatsapp is likely to spend capital to port the app to AAOS.

Only because the integration of all these apps with AAOS will be so much better than CP or AA, and short circuiting that is in no one's interest other than incredible spoiled first world folks who have to have their favorite app and have to have it now! 馃憺
Oh the irony...

Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
To be fair people have been wanting their favourite apps now(!) for nearly two years now.

Registered
They still sell paper maps?!?! You think paper maps are updated more often than Google Maps is?!?! LOL!!!!

Registered
They still sell paper maps?!?! You think paper maps are updated more often than Google Maps is?!?! LOL!!!!
They really do. And google maps have put people in some bad situations down road that are barely roads, because the machine doesn't understand what a human does. And I can take a map and put it in my pocket and never get lost, even without my cell phone or car, or power, or cell service. Map reading is a lot art, and it's pretty sad. Because when you can't use google, your really are lost beyond your immediate neighborhood.

Registered
They really do. And google maps have put people in some bad situations down road that are barely roads, because the machine doesn't understand what a human does. And I can take a map and put it in my pocket and never get lost, even without my cell phone or car, or power, or cell service. Map reading is a lot art, and it's pretty sad. Because when you can't use google, your really are lost beyond your immediate neighborhood.
I looked for some driving maps of Florida on Amazon and the newest one is from Feb 2022. Not sure if that is as updated as Google Maps would be. I think ppl who get lost using Google Maps, dont know how to follow directions. You can download Google Maps to your phone, so it should still work without cell service.

Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
Google Maps is excellent locally and saves time with real time traffic information and diversions around roadworks. It's a long time since it has sent us on an inappropriate route. And trying to read a paper map while driving is as reckless as watching Netflix!

Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
Every so often I wonder why I bother with Android, play with an iPhone for a few days only to retreat to my wonderful Samsung.
I have both and iPhone 13 Pro and a OnePlus 9 Pro, both are very simple to use, both require no brain power and both are perfectly easy to adapt to when you pick them up.
Neither is any better than the other, but I like the fact I can absolutely remove all bloatware from the android device using an ADB tool whereas apps are still embedded in the app library on apple products

Registered
Google Maps is excellent locally and saves time with real time traffic information and diversions around roadworks. It's a long time since it has sent us on an inappropriate route. And trying to read a paper map while driving is as reckless as watching Netflix!
There is no question that google can help you with traffic. I love that. But even I find that as I use google more and more, even areas I should be relatively familiar with, I start to lose the familiarity if I don't go there often because google becomes a crutch. Now if you are someone with no sense of direction to start out with, and can't figure out the outer loop from the inner loop, then I would imagine you're never going to know where anything is and will just need to follow wherever google says. Just this evening google as taking me home one way and it didn't give me an option that I know to be easier and potentially faster. Even when I asked for options it didn't come up. But having that knowledge was valuable.

Registered
I agree which is why there is no reason, strategic, technical or otherwise why the second should not support the first. AAOS actually does support AA in other cars now, it is Polestar's decision to not include it. The reason is simple neglect as far as I can see.
I won't deny that it could be neglect. And google tends to separate teams and let them compete internally. There is definitely no technical reason AA can't go on top of AAOS (as you say, it already does). But strategically I still think it's a death knell. App companies only have so much money to support all the many, many platforms their users are on. If AA is available on top of AAOS, they aren't likely to spend a nickel on an AAOS port, because you as a user are already taken care of. And of course if development progresses like that (or doesn't as the case may be), google may very well kill AAOS at some point. Then we'll all use AA or CP, have all our apps right now, be fat dumb and happy Americans, and the car integration concept will die on the vine. Better? Worse? Only time will tell.

Registered
I have both and iPhone 13 Pro and a OnePlus 9 Pro, both are very simple to use, both require no brain power and both are perfectly easy to adapt to when you pick them up.
Neither is any better than the other, but I like the fact I can absolutely remove all bloatware from the android device using an ADB tool whereas apps are still embedded in the app library on apple products
Do they still stop you from doing that? I thought that was resolved? Which Apple apps can't be removed and take up lots of space?

What annoys me on Android (I have a Samsung Z Flip 3 as well) is that there isn't a single decent email client with a proper unified inbox that is fully standards compliant and auto formats the emails to the size of the display. Still after all those years I find it amazing that isn't available. To me there are always too many choices of an app but none of them are high quality. In my experience the version of the same app running on iOS are just better and with a more consistent ux.

Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
Do they still stop you from doing that? I thought that was resolved? Which Apple apps can't be removed and take up lots of space?
Space is not, and was never the issue with iOS apps, it's that they are interlaced throughout the OS.
Health is the most obvious one. You simply cannot remove this app, it's permanently installed through reference, and even in 3rd party apps, Health wants to get involved. (garmin connect springs to mind)

There are more, but I can't be bothered to go through the phone. I've learned to live with it, it's just an annoyance but an expected one, although Apple have got better over the years.

It's as bad as Samsungs Bixby, that no matter how many of the routines you remove using ADB tools, there are still constant behavioural links between the native OS and Bixby.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts