Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
374 Posts
And what have they done about it? I mean just wanting something and writing on a forum about it or on Facebook isn't going to make it happen....
I have been contacting Qobuz and thanks to your message I have just contacted Audible as well. I fully accept that this forum is not the centre of the universe.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Health is the most obvious one. You simply cannot remove this app, it's permanently installed through reference, and even in 3rd party apps, Health wants to get involved. (garmin connect springs to mind)
Health is a framework that health related apps rely on... Garmin have chosen to integrate with it.

I just don't see what the problem is to be honest - especially as for several iOS iterations you've been able to hide any app including system ones.

Complaining about the Health app is equivalent to complaining about location services or any other core service!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Space is not, and was never the issue with iOS apps, it's that they are interlaced throughout the OS.
Health is the most obvious one. You simply cannot remove this app, it's permanently installed through reference, and even in 3rd party apps, Health wants to get involved. (garmin connect springs to mind)

There are more, but I can't be bothered to go through the phone. I've learned to live with it, it's just an annoyance but an expected one, although Apple have got better over the years.

It's as bad as Samsungs Bixby, that no matter how many of the routines you remove using ADB tools, there are still constant behavioural links between the native OS and Bixby.
Perhaps Health is not the correct example as with the sensors there is a bit of a need for it. Yes Bixby, not sure whether you can remove Knox etc are good examples on Samsung phones. But I guess if you want a clean Android phone you have a choice to get one based on Android One.

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
122 Posts
Health is a framework that health related apps rely on... Garmin have chosen to integrate with it.

I just don't see what the problem is to be honest - especially as for several iOS iterations you've been able to hide any app including system ones.

Complaining about the Health app is equivalent to complaining about location services or any other core service!
I'm not complaining about health, that was just one specific example. It's a feature that I have zero need for, nor any desire for.
As detailed in my previous post, at least with Android, I am able to full remove all apk relating to apps I don't require, with Apple, these remain interlaced within the iOS architecture. You can hide them, but they are woven into the fabric.

I will refer to my point I made previously as it seems we're on a collision course......
Neither is any better than the other, but I like the fact I can absolutely remove all bloatware from the android device using an ADB tool whereas apps are still embedded on apple products
Are we clear? Positive to android, no negative to iOS. We aren't all here to bash!!
"neither is any better than the other"

·
Registered
MY22 Pilot Plus LRDM on 20s, Magnesium
122 Posts
Perhaps Health is not the correct example as with the sensors there is a bit of a need for it. Yes Bixby, not sure whether you can remove Knox etc are good examples on Samsung phones. But I guess if you want a clean Android phone you have a choice to get one based on Android One.
If i had a choice with the work phone, I would have gone with an Android One device, but we got lumbered with the OnePlus, who used to be excellent but are now heavily loading their phones from the factory.
I haven't played around with Knox yet, but I would suspect it's as heavily woven into the fabric as Bixby is.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Each State still publishes paper maps at least yearly.
Yeah but yearly doesn't help if an extensive road construction project starts a month after the update leaving the paper map incorrect for months. Yearly updates were impressive, before we got basically live updates from other users. Traffic info is a huge improvement too (provided you go places that have multiple route options)

I'll send to fire up navigation just to find out if traffic will be a factor that requires an alternative route

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If i had a choice with the work phone, I would have gone with an Android One device, but we got lumbered with the OnePlus, who used to be excellent but are now heavily loading their phones from the factory.
I haven't played around with Knox yet, but I would suspect it's as heavily woven into the fabric as Bixby is.
For a work phone I'd never allow any Android, not even an Android One device, one place I used to work they were banned for official duties and material classified at a certain level as it is impossible to get true end to end encryption. For ordinary companies that doesn't deal with such material I'd still wouldn't allow them with a MAM solution or ideally under full MDM control.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
For a work phone I'd never allow any Android, not even an Android One device, one place I used to work they were banned for official duties and material classified at a certain level as it is impossible to get true end to end encryption. For ordinary companies that doesn't deal with such material I'd still wouldn't allow them with a MAM solution or ideally under full MDM control.
This is why we started out with Blackberries. And the gov used them exclusively for so long. I ran the first corporate BB pilot in the US in the 90s. Email only back then.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I really liked my Blackberries back in the day. I think I still have one in my old tech box somewhere. RIM had the security aspect pretty well nailed with the BES at its zenith.

Reactions: Bl4ckD0g

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Definitely. As a user I thought they were a pain in the backside to use, but yes it was the only thing at the time that was truly deemed secure.

Their downfall, well one of many :), was that for non-work they were still a pain to use, didn't comply with email standards unless there was a BES provider. And the apps were terrible. Saying that I really like their entry into smart phones where they had a nice touch phone with both a private and a secure work area. Finally I didn't have to carry two phones, although often we weren't allowed to carry our personal device as well....

·
Registered
P2 | LRSM | Moon | Pilot
96 Posts
Just FYI, you can disable the car's Assistant listening for the keyphrase and just use the steering wheel dedicated button to trigger the Assistant. The phone Assistant instance would then trigger from the keyphrase.
I'd looked for the settings to do exactly that a while ago, but when I couldn't find them, assumed they weren't there. I've just gone back and checked, and thanks to your message @Mick I found the setting!
Tucked away under the Google settings, then Google Assistant, then there's a settings cog icon in there, then you get to this screen:
Gadget Communication Device Font Material property Audio equipment

Now if I want the car to do something I can press the button on the steering wheel, and if I want my phone to read out WhatsApp messages I can use voice to "Hey Google" it, without the car thinking I'm talking to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd looked for the settings to do exactly that a while ago, but when I couldn't find them, assumed they weren't there. I've just gone back and checked, and thanks to your message @Mick I found the setting!
Tucked away under the Google settings, then Google Assistant, then there's a settings cog icon in there, then you get to this screen:w if I want the car to do something I can press the button on the steering wheel, and if I want my phone to read out WhatsApp messages I can use voice to "Hey Google" it, without the car thinking I'm talking to it.
Fantastic. I can now satisfy my need (shallow and fetishistic though it may be) to access WhatsApp messages. Hey Google in the car seems very laggy too - maybe this will improve it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Yeah, since 2.2, the Assistant response to the wakeword or the button press is substantially slower. Hopefully it's just an Assistant app defect and can be fixed with a play store update. But it might require 2.3 or later - hope not! Anyway, glad you found the option. I had it set off for a while, but I'm so used to having voice activation everywhere else that I would talk to myself foolishly before remembering to push the button. :LOL:

Reactions: _ben_

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Yeah but yearly doesn't help if an extensive road construction project starts a month after the update leaving the paper map incorrect for months. Yearly updates were impressive, before we got basically live updates from other users. Traffic info is a huge improvement too (provided you go places that have multiple route options)

I'll send to fire up navigation just to find out if traffic will be a factor that requires an alternative route

61 - 80 of 81 Posts