Polestar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XC40 P8 will arrive on Canadian soil before the end of the year and is ready for test drives (email invites were sent out today). I clicked and within the hour got an email from the local Volvo dealer for the test drive. Refreshing responsiveness !

And :
  • it's about 3,500 CAD cheaper for a similar configuration after PDI and taxes
  • comes in interesting colour schemes
  • built in Belgium
  • sunroof actually opens
But :
  • also will not have OTA updates - will only be added later in 2021
  • it's not clear whether Google Android Automotive is available in Canada. The specs (by invite email) do mysteriously not mention it and on the website it shows *** not available in all markets... Will become clear in the next few days. The article above mentions it, but not the link that leads https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/build/suv/xc40/recharge-pure-electric/p8-eawd/summary?s=2Q72PB2 , which is different from other countries' websites.
  • EPA 203 miles - less than P2 due to heavier chassis and more wind resistance
  • only has seats in R-design black Nubuck
I called Polestar CS again today to ask about the Vancouver "waitlist" for test drives as suddenly shown on the website since Monday this week. Still no answer. No clarity on delivery either. No clarity from Gain Group (BC dealer) who I contacted about whether ICBC can insure the car (there really is an issue here, all my to the point questions around this are being carefully avoided, both by the dealer as by Polestar. ICBC clearly told me it will take at least 3 months... Guess who will be right here ? Time only will tell.
Gain confirmed to me this week there's still a tiny problem with Transport Canada. P2 is still not certified to drive on Canadian roads. The last hurdle to overcome seems to be a modification of the certification label to be affxed to the car... Let's see how long that takes.

Summary : if Polestar drags its feet any longer and the XC40 is available before the P2 before X-mas, then I'm convinced many will jump. I'm one of them. Can't keep waiting around. Polestar is slowly but certainly burning their early adopters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You forgot to mention, it actually has a heat pump option (only $450 too)!

I'm still going for the P2 because I want a sedan. But for a CUV, it's definitely more appealing.

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
Cheaper? That's different to over here - it starts from over £10k more expensive than the Polestar 2 in the UK, partly because it's so expensive it doesn't get the £3k Government grant...

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pretty much the same price. . Adding paint, the climate and advanced packages, the Harman Kardon sound system I come out as $70,250 before freight and PDI. The P2 in Thunder is $71,100. Now jumping is not that easy, My local dealer in Quebec City already have 17 pre-sold and he expect to receive 7 or 8 this year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much the same price. . Adding paint, the climate and advanced packages, the Harman Kardon sound system I come out as $70,250 before freight and PDI. The P2 in Thunder is $71,100. Now jumping is not that easy, My local dealer in Quebec City already have 17 pre-sold and he expect to receive 7 or 8 this year.
For me, After adding PDI, freight and taxes the difference goes from 81k to 84.5k, in the end the XC40 is 3500$ cheaper (and that’s with 20” wheels and heat pump added for the XC40 compared to the P2 with 19” standard wheels).

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
865 Posts
But if you factor in Polestar .9% financing up to 6 years then the P2 is cheaper.
here we have the option of 0% financing x 60 mos; lease rates TBD.
The financing quote from my local dealer is so bad it makes the xc40 actually more expensive than the P*2 - though they tend to have great lease deals so let’s see what comes of that.

either way, if you consider WeaveTech equivalent to the Nubuck of the XC40 then matching specs, the MSRP of the P*2 is only $4k more. Although I would have expected the CUV to be more expensive than the sedan/hatch version instead of the other way around

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok - put my $1000 refundable deposit down for the XC40 P8.
Test drive in December.
Delivery Q2 - 2021

Refreshingly simple !

That's how it seemed when I put the deposit down for the P2 as well :unsure: .

The race is on - let's see who is first !

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
Remember to check the terms and conditions. In the UK at least, it's only refundable for the first 14 days. After that it's discretionary, i.e. they are within their rights to keep some or all of it...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember to check the terms and conditions. In the UK at least, it's only refundable for the first 14 days. After that it's discretionary, i.e. they are within their rights to keep some or all of it...
Here you need to decide after the test drive. Either you buy it and then the deposit goes up with 1500 extra or you step out and you get the 1000 backed.
From the moment you pay the 1500 extra the 2500 becomes non refundable.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
Good to know :) There's a widespread assumption in the UK that the £1000 deposit is fully refundable, yet this is definitely not the case...

Reactions: JMP2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts