Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XC40 P8 will arrive on Canadian soil before the end of the year and is ready for test drives (email invites were sent out today). I clicked and within the hour got an email from the local Volvo dealer for the test drive. Refreshing responsiveness !

And :
  • it's about 3,500 CAD cheaper for a similar configuration after PDI and taxes
  • comes in interesting colour schemes
  • built in Belgium
  • sunroof actually opens
But :
  • also will not have OTA updates - will only be added later in 2021
  • it's not clear whether Google Android Automotive is available in Canada. The specs (by invite email) do mysteriously not mention it and on the website it shows *** not available in all markets... Will become clear in the next few days. The article above mentions it, but not the link that leads https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/build/suv/xc40/recharge-pure-electric/p8-eawd/summary?s=2Q72PB2 , which is different from other countries' websites.
  • EPA 203 miles - less than P2 due to heavier chassis and more wind resistance
  • only has seats in R-design black Nubuck
I called Polestar CS again today to ask about the Vancouver "waitlist" for test drives as suddenly shown on the website since Monday this week. Still no answer. No clarity on delivery either. No clarity from Gain Group (BC dealer) who I contacted about whether ICBC can insure the car (there really is an issue here, all my to the point questions around this are being carefully avoided, both by the dealer as by Polestar. ICBC clearly told me it will take at least 3 months... Guess who will be right here ? Time only will tell.
Gain confirmed to me this week there's still a tiny problem with Transport Canada. P2 is still not certified to drive on Canadian roads. The last hurdle to overcome seems to be a modification of the certification label to be affxed to the car... Let's see how long that takes.

Summary : if Polestar drags its feet any longer and the XC40 is available before the P2 before X-mas, then I'm convinced many will jump. I'm one of them. Can't keep waiting around. Polestar is slowly but certainly burning their early adopters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You forgot to mention, it actually has a heat pump option (only $450 too)!

I'm still going for the P2 because I want a sedan. But for a CUV, it's definitely more appealing.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,878 Posts
Cheaper? That's different to over here - it starts from over £10k more expensive than the Polestar 2 in the UK, partly because it's so expensive it doesn't get the £3k Government grant...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pretty much the same price. . Adding paint, the climate and advanced packages, the Harman Kardon sound system I come out as $70,250 before freight and PDI. The P2 in Thunder is $71,100. Now jumping is not that easy, My local dealer in Quebec City already have 17 pre-sold and he expect to receive 7 or 8 this year.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much the same price. . Adding paint, the climate and advanced packages, the Harman Kardon sound system I come out as $70,250 before freight and PDI. The P2 in Thunder is $71,100. Now jumping is not that easy, My local dealer in Quebec City already have 17 pre-sold and he expect to receive 7 or 8 this year.
For me, After adding PDI, freight and taxes the difference goes from 81k to 84.5k, in the end the XC40 is 3500$ cheaper (and that’s with 20” wheels and heat pump added for the XC40 compared to the P2 with 19” standard wheels).

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
But if you factor in Polestar .9% financing up to 6 years then the P2 is cheaper.
here we have the option of 0% financing x 60 mos; lease rates TBD.
The financing quote from my local dealer is so bad it makes the xc40 actually more expensive than the P*2 - though they tend to have great lease deals so let’s see what comes of that.

either way, if you consider WeaveTech equivalent to the Nubuck of the XC40 then matching specs, the MSRP of the P*2 is only $4k more. Although I would have expected the CUV to be more expensive than the sedan/hatch version instead of the other way around

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok - put my $1000 refundable deposit down for the XC40 P8.
Test drive in December.
Delivery Q2 - 2021

Refreshingly simple !

That's how it seemed when I put the deposit down for the P2 as well :unsure: .

The race is on - let's see who is first !

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Remember to check the terms and conditions. In the UK at least, it's only refundable for the first 14 days. After that it's discretionary, i.e. they are within their rights to keep some or all of it...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remember to check the terms and conditions. In the UK at least, it's only refundable for the first 14 days. After that it's discretionary, i.e. they are within their rights to keep some or all of it...
Here you need to decide after the test drive. Either you buy it and then the deposit goes up with 1500 extra or you step out and you get the 1000 backed.
From the moment you pay the 1500 extra the 2500 becomes non refundable.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Good to know :) There's a widespread assumption in the UK that the £1000 deposit is fully refundable, yet this is definitely not the case...

Reactions: JMP2

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
Ok - put my $1000 refundable deposit down for the XC40 P8.
Test drive in December.
Delivery Q2 - 2021

Refreshingly simple !

That's how it seemed when I put the deposit down for the P2 as well :unsure: .

The race is on - let's see who is first !
I'm taking the XC40 P8 Recharge out for a test drive tomorrow. If the financing rate is low, body roll in corners is low and delivery isn't too far off I'm going to bail on my P2 and go with the Volvo. Better family car possibly and lots of Volvo dealerships. The Canadian P2 delivery horror stories have already started. I likely have a POLSTARE2 vanity plate to sell.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
I'm taking the XC40 P8 Recharge out for a test drive tomorrow. If the financing rate is low, body roll in corners is low and delivery isn't too far off I'm going to bail on my P2 and go with the Volvo. Better family car possibly and lots of Volvo dealerships. The Canadian P2 delivery horror stories have already started. I likely have a POLSTARE2 vanity plate to sell.
I did a similar calc. For us polestar was available much faster than xc40. The servicing would be done at the same site and by the people. And I convinced myself the cargo space was enough for us.

but really a deciding factor was range. If the polestar range is less than desired the Volvo range is abysmal. Like 210mi in summer, 150mi in winter. Polestar range in our mild winter is 200-210mi and folks in Norway winter are seeing like 180mi.

YMMV but I felt the polestar was just enough space for us with adequate range. The Volvo would have more space but with the trade off of a constraining range.

honestly. I know I might’ve talked you out of it. But I would take the IPace HSE over the XC40 if the price was right

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
I did a similar calc. For us polestar was available much faster than xc40. The servicing would be done at the same site and by the people. And I convinced myself the cargo space was enough for us.

but really a deciding factor was range. If the polestar range is less than desired the Volvo range is abysmal. Like 210mi in summer, 150mi in winter. Polestar range in our mild winter is 200-210mi and folks in Norway winter are seeing like 180mi.

YMMV but I felt the polestar was just enough space for us with adequate range. The Volvo would have more space but with the trade off of a constraining range.

honestly. I know I might’ve talked you out of it. But I would take the IPace HSE over the XC40 if the price was right
There is a new 2019 IPace that the dealer is willing to give me in the mid $80's however the are treating it like a used vehicle with reduced warranty and higher interest rate. The IPace test drive was amazing but it's things like the slow AC charging and laggy infotainment of that year that had me hung up. I appreciate your comment on the XC40 range, I'm almost 200km to work and back round trip. Range is the reason this search started years ago when I considered the model 3. Just a few more hours until the test drive of the XC40 Recharge today.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Could you explain?
Listening to aowhaus and Twister416's posts have me concerned. Twister416 is just about to get his car so I'm going to keep tabs on his posts. Seems like about 10-11 cars are the first batch of releases in Toronto. Twister416 let me know he paid his deposit in May about 1 month before me. I expect the next bunch of cars could include my. Snow PP. I have a test drive in the XC40 Recharge today. I will make a decision based in what Volvo can offer me today. I'll post about my impression of the Recharge after. The XC40 Recharge forum is all "American" side of the story so I would like to comment on the Canadian experience and financial #'s of the Volvo[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
308 Posts
XC40 P8 will arrive on Canadian soil before the end of the year and is ready for test drives (email invites were sent out today). I clicked and within the hour got an email from the local Volvo dealer for the test drive. Refreshing responsiveness !

And :
  • it's about 3,500 CAD cheaper for a similar configuration after PDI and taxes
  • comes in interesting colour schemes
  • built in Belgium
  • sunroof actually opens
But :
  • also will not have OTA updates - will only be added later in 2021
  • it's not clear whether Google Android Automotive is available in Canada. The specs (by invite email) do mysteriously not mention it and on the website it shows *** not available in all markets... Will become clear in the next few days. The article above mentions it, but not the link that leads https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/build/suv/xc40/recharge-pure-electric/p8-eawd/summary?s=2Q72PB2 , which is different from other countries' websites.
  • EPA 203 miles - less than P2 due to heavier chassis and more wind resistance
  • only has seats in R-design black Nubuck
I called Polestar CS again today to ask about the Vancouver "waitlist" for test drives as suddenly shown on the website since Monday this week. Still no answer. No clarity on delivery either. No clarity from Gain Group (BC dealer) who I contacted about whether ICBC can insure the car (there really is an issue here, all my to the point questions around this are being carefully avoided, both by the dealer as by Polestar. ICBC clearly told me it will take at least 3 months... Guess who will be right here ? Time only will tell.
Gain confirmed to me this week there's still a tiny problem with Transport Canada. P2 is still not certified to drive on Canadian roads. The last hurdle to overcome seems to be a modification of the certification label to be affxed to the car... Let's see how long that takes.

Summary : if Polestar drags its feet any longer and the XC40 is available before the P2 before X-mas, then I'm convinced many will jump. I'm one of them. Can't keep waiting around. Polestar is slowly but certainly burning their early adopters.
XC40 Recharge P8 TEST DRIVE in the books!
I'm not going to do a big long review as most on this forum are very well educated and informed about EV's on the market.
First thing I noticed standing beside the XC40 is that it is not small, not huge but it has a presence. It looks fantastic on the outside and climbing in I feel the same about the interior. The finish inside is soft, clean and efficient. The chrome vents look a lot like the P1 vents and I love the more modest size of the screen. The screen sits into the dash flush and is easily reached without leaning forward. The last 3 cars I have owned have had a hatch and a rear wiper, its kind of a big deal for me. the windshield washer fluid coming out of the front wiper arms is a nice feature. The Recharge has.
Heat Pump​
Spare Tire (sub floor of trunk)​
Trunk 12v Power Outlet​
Two cup holders easily within reach​
Great leg and head room in the rear seat. (i'm 5' 11")​
Excellent visibility out of all windows​
Seat material is nice, even if black is the only option​
Hard front and rear mud flaps (option)​
Power roof shade, sun roof opens​
I'm a little critical of the range loss with its lower aerodynamics, I'm sure the drag coefficient is worse than the P2. There is a little body roll but I didn't push it, I wasn't comfortable testing its limits. One very noticeable observation is the power and acceleration fells similar to what I remember in the P2 but the backend really sits down when I throttled it hard in a straight line. Ride was firm and secure but not hard. This ride was done on the optional 20" rims.

Anyway I still have my order with Polestar, I'm going to wait for them to call me and see the draft of the purchase agreement in writing. "I" want the P2 for me. The Volvo Recharge is such a nice family car and will help me make deliveries to clients with the truck space it provides. Depth in the truck looked the same as the P2 but likely taller in the Volvo.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the review. What was the feel of the infotainment on the smaller screen ? How do the tiles present ? Does Hey Google work as well as on the P2 (same system, different display ?). I've a deposit down, but still waiting for the ability to test drive (tester not available here yet). Polestar has gone completely quiet again after the "for sure" November and "for sure" before X-mas delivery. They even sent me pics of my car on the truck in Mid December, and have again completely gone quiet. No reply to messages anymore... I stick to my point - see who comes first... More and more leaning to the XC40 now (sage green with orange carpet : kind of special, but some people could hate that colour scheme).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the review. What was the feel of the infotainment on the smaller screen ? How do the tiles present ? Does Hey Google work as well as on the P2 (same system, different display ?). I've a deposit down, but still waiting for the ability to test drive (tester not available here yet). Polestar has gone completely quiet again after the "for sure" November and "for sure" before X-mas delivery. They even sent me pics of my car on the truck in Mid December, and have again completely gone quiet. No reply to messages anymore... I stick to my point - see who comes first... More and more leaning to the XC40 now (sage green with orange carpet : kind of special, but some people could hate that colour scheme).
I have to admit I did this on a lunch break from work and really focused on driving the car. I did use the seat heater and steering wheel heat adjust at the bottom of the screen. The fan speed and temp was easy to adjust. It does look a bit different than the P2. The APPS seem to display in horizontal bars rather than square tiles like on a cell phone. I didn't play with the voice commands at all. I really liked how roomy it felt. I didn't feel sandwiched between the door and the center console (cockpit feel) like the P2. The little garbage bin in the center console is a great touch. I have a small screen in my Mazda 3 and it locks out the touch interface once you start moving. I mount my phone and use functions though it. If I can get good traffic notification from the Volvo and voice activate internet radio I may be able to just leave my phone on the wireless charger. :)
I'm going to shake down the sales guy at Volvo, $95 fuel charge is listed on the purchase quote and $349 for lock nuts. There is a $470 "protection package" listed and based on what I have read online it might include rubber floor mats and truck floor mat. Pre-tax before PDI/Freight, AC, Tire Levy, HST, Admin Fee and Financing I get $69,890.00 LOADED with 19" rims. They said 6-8 weeks delivery.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to admit I did this on a lunch break from work and really focused on driving the car. I did use the seat heater and steering wheel heat adjust at the bottom of the screen. The fan speed and temp was easy to adjust. It does look a bit different than the P2. The APPS seem to display in horizontal bars rather than square tiles like on a cell phone. I didn't play with the voice commands at all. I really liked how roomy it felt. I didn't feel sandwiched between the door and the center console (cockpit feel) like the P2. The little garbage bin in the center console is a great touch. I have a small screen in my Mazda 3 and it locks out the touch interface once you start moving. I mount my phone and use functions though it. If I can get good traffic notification from the Volvo and voice activate internet radio I may be able to just leave my phone on the wireless charger. :)
I'm going to shake down the sales guy at Volvo, $95 fuel charge is listed on the purchase quote and $349 for lock nuts. There is a $470 "protection package" listed and based on what I have read online it might include rubber floor mats and truck floor mat. Pre-tax before PDI/Freight, AC, Tire Levy, HST, Admin Fee and Financing I get $69,890.00 LOADED with 19" rims. They said 6-8 weeks delivery.
Tx ! Volvo here is saying delivery end of Q2 to beginning of Q4 (even with my deposit made last year). But no guarantees (reminds me of the P2...). That's much longer than 6-8 weeks... Depends apparently on the sales person...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts