Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Polestar 2 has summer tires and they are the first on a car I've owned, so am trying to plan what to do before autumn and winter are here.

From the research I've done, it looks like the P2 has the same size tires on all wheels and for my car, they are 245/40 R19. I've read older posts on the forum stating new tires should be designated XL because of the car's weight. Is the latter correct - I don't see that designation on the tire badge in the driver's door for "XL"?

My other question - not ever having had to seasonally change out tires is, do I have to buy a new set of wheels / will it make changing them easier, or can just the tires be swapped? I won't do the swap, will have Volvo or a tire store do it.

I have always had all seasons despite living in a cold climate where it snows a lot and where the all seasons typically perform terribly, but I was too lazy to do anything about before now. ;)

Any other advice or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
211 Posts
Just make sure the tires are rated for the weight of the car, or they will wear out really fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, living in Norway and my views will therefore be based on my experience. Here it is snow and ice for 3-4 months a year and I have always had 8 rims with summer and winter tires respectively. This makes the swap a lot easier for me (I swap myself) and the summer rims also avoid being exposed to salt and snow.

In the case of XL (extra load), this means that the tire has a higher load class. This means that the tire has a more robust construction, which reduces the tire's heat generation and makes the tire more durable. XL tires are becoming more common as cars also become heavier, such as the P2. So yes, I would definitely have bought tires that were XL.

Finally; be aware that the rims for the front and rear axle are not completely identical while the tires fit all 4. But this is probably not a problem when you still do not have to swap the tires yourself. Hope this was of some help.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
388 Posts
Just adding to SER's excellent points. In Norway, most people do have the complete two sets. If you have the storage, you can then quite easily change them yourself, or store them in a "Tire Hotel", who will do the swapping for you. In any case, less wear and tear on rims and tires than swapping the tires on the singe set of rims.

If you go down the separate rim route, after much discussion here and research, it looks like you can safely go for a "square" set-up with 4 identical 8" rims, instead of the 8" front, 9" rear OE set-up.

That makes swapping easier and also lowers the risk of kerb damage to your rear rims. The extra wide rims on the rear will give you a marginal high speed handling advantage on good, grippy summer roads, but are pointless in the winter.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
388 Posts
As an ex-Brit I was amazed when I came over here, to see how everyone drove around (almost) normally in the snow. I was used to creeping around the moment the first snowflakes hit the road. Winter tyres really do make a difference!

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
208 Posts
The most frightened driver I ever saw was at the wheel of a Porsche 911 moving along a snow covered narrow street between both rows of parked cars.

I used to have two sets of wheels and tyres on my 5 series but found that temperatures fluctuated so often in the UK that I seemed to have the wrong set on most of the time.

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
211 Posts
As an ex-Brit I was amazed when I came over here, to see how everyone drove around (almost) normally in the snow. I was used to creeping around the moment the first snowflakes hit the road. Winter tyres really do make a difference!
Then you are not in western part of Norway, first day of snow is a total chaos every year 😂

·
Registered
219 Posts
Swedish here, most winter sets I have seen were on steel rims and not alloy. I am not sure if it is due to cost or, like some Swedish tire sellers say, they have better traction due to their weight

·
Registered
384 Posts
Having a second set of rims would certainly be simpler, but it's perfectly possible to swap tires on one set of rims. I've had it done it twice now by a local tire shop (putting winter tires on last winter, and and putting the summer tires back on this spring).

·
Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
139 Posts
To all the Norwegians and the Swede.
May i ask which winter tires you guys use on your P2? And for those with 2nd set of rims, after mkt or oem rims?

·
Registered
139 Posts
My new Polestar 2 has summer tires and they are the first on a car I've owned, so am trying to plan what to do before autumn and winter are here.

From the research I've done, it looks like the P2 has the same size tires on all wheels and for my car, they are 245/40 R19. I've read older posts on the forum stating new tires should be designated XL because of the car's weight. Is the latter correct - I don't see that designation on the tire badge in the driver's door for "XL"?

My other question - not ever having had to seasonally change out tires is, do I have to buy a new set of wheels / will it make changing them easier, or can just the tires be swapped? I won't do the swap, will have Volvo or a tire store do it.

I have always had all seasons despite living in a cold climate where it snows a lot and where the all seasons typically perform terribly, but I was too lazy to do anything about before now. ;)

FYI if you are near a costco. If you buy the winter tire from costco. It is $50 to swap in and out of winter tires each season.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am in south west, so yes. As a (new) Norwegian I now see the chaos :LOL:. I haven't taken delivery of my PS 2 yet, but will say that choice of winter tire is vary up to local conditions. In the mountains, where winter is winter, most Norwegians swear by spiky tires. Where I live, the roads are bare more than they are wintry, so the spikes cause enormous damage and dust polution and are very uncomforable to drive on. They feel like a cat running round a corner on a polished floor with their claws out. The problem where I live is that we get all kinds of conditions; mostly wet, but with periods of dry, snow, slush, ice and wet ice (which is always the worst). In addition we occasionally take long trips (12 hours +) over mountains, so our tires have to cope with everything except high (Autobahn) speeds.

Regarding rims, it's not true that heavy (steel) rims have better traction. The lighter the wheel, the better it follows the irregularities of the road and the better traction. In addition, lighter wheels take less energy to spin up and down, and are therefore more efficient. I'm going for aftermarket rims, 8" width all round, that weigh just over 10 kg (as opposed to the OEM rims that are close to 14). Tires I haven't quite decided on yet, but will probably go for "Frigus Ice 3", which balance soft "nordic" rubber with good drainage channels. Have spoken to some Tesla drivers who claim they behave well in most conditions, as well as being quiet and long lasting. If I were living in a place with mostly snow or ice covered roads in winter, I would go for something different, as I would if I lived in Europe, where the tires would have to be allowed in Germany (high speed).

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the advice and comments from everyone.

In Minnesota, we're in a similarly northern latitude as Norway and Sweden, and it can get snowy and icy but since I live in a city, the roads are usually cleared right away and actual driving in bad conditions is limited to a few days each winter. I haven't decided between Volvo swapping the tires seasonally (I'll skip new rims for now) or just replacing the summer tires with Nokian G4 All weather. It looks like although they don't perform as well in snow and ice as winter tires, they perform better than all season and would have the benefit of just leaving them on all year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the advice and comments from everyone.

In Minnesota, we're in a similarly northern latitude as Norway and Sweden, and it can get snowy and icy but since I live in a city, the roads are usually cleared right away and actual driving in bad conditions is limited to a few days each winter. I haven't decided between Volvo swapping the tires seasonally (I'll skip new rims for now) or just replacing the summer tires with Nokian G4 All weather. It looks like although they don't perform as well in snow and ice as winter tires, they perform better than all season and would have the benefit of just leaving them on all year.
I am in CO. I see a lot of Nokian advertising at ski slopes. Will check out the G4. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anybody have recommendations for wheel options in the US? Looking to source wheels + winter tires, however have not been able to get a quote from Denver or Detroit. Polestar support just refers me back to the spaces. Haven't found anything that I can confirm is compatible through a 3rd party.

I'm also now trying to reach out to Dan Filipe at Volvo Manhattan as it appears that is where @ProfessorCook got his.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Michelin CrossClimate 2 is another All-Weather option with the 3 peak stamp. I have them on the Volvo and now the Polestar, they are awesome tires. IMO the Colorado front rage isn't snowy enough/consistently cold enough to warrant dedicated snow tires.
How do you find the CrossClimate 2 for noise and harshness compared to the OEM summers? I need some winterish rubber as planning a trip to Germany at Christmas, but I don't really want a set of proper winter tyres as I don't need them in the UK.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts