Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I bought another set of rims from Polestar for the PP option. It was roughly $4000. There's no way that makes sense financially when you can have somebody swap your tires out as Amanda does.

On the other hand, I really do like being able to swap the summer set out with the winter set whenever I want to. I track the forecast in late November and make the call.

All season tires make sense in some climates and personal situations, but I'm glad to have summers on when I push the car for fun and winters on when stopping 10' quicker might end up making a huge difference.

Reactions: Mark R

·
Registered
777 Posts
Or they are simply mandatory. As in Luxembourg, Germany, ...

I'm still not sure what to get. Not much time left. Polestar set is 2300 euro (19"). Aftermarket set starts at about 1500 euro.

For the tires, what should way most; range, noise, or performance on wet ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought another set of rims from Polestar for the PP option. It was roughly $4000. There's no way that makes sense financially when you can have somebody swap your tires out as Amanda does.

On the other hand, I really do like being able to swap the summer set out with the winter set whenever I want to. I track the forecast in late November and make the call.

All season tires make sense in some climates and personal situations, but I'm glad to have summers on when I push the car for fun and winters on when stopping 10' quicker might end up making a huge difference.
Professor, I have the pp also, what winter tires did you buy and where did you get them I had the misfortune of a flat tire a couple of months ago No tire store around me had a replacement.PS customer service had to have a tire fed exed to a local volvo dealer which took 2 days. Thankfully when my car got towed there they gave me a loaner but what a hassle.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know, but do I want to run all season with lower range and more noise all year around?

·
Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
139 Posts
Michelin CrossClimate 2 is another All-Weather option with the 3 peak stamp. I have them on the Volvo and now the Polestar, they are awesome tires. IMO the Colorado front rage isn't snowy enough/consistently cold enough to warrant dedicated snow tires.
Hey man. I will put my CC2 tomorrow.
Do you see a difference in range? Noise?

I just drove Stapleton to Granby Grand Elk Golf, parked overnight. Then back to Stapleton. My first trip up the mountains.
Started with 90% SOC. got home with 16% SOC. since was cool enough i did turn off the A/C. So cheated a little.
Loved how the PS2 drove thru the twists and turns.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Professor, I have the pp also, what winter tires did you buy and where did you get them I had the misfortune of a flat tire a couple of months ago No tire store around me had a replacement.PS customer service had to have a tire fed exed to a local volvo dealer which took 2 days. Thankfully when my car got towed there they gave me a loaner but what a hassle.
I got the SottoZero 3 from Tire Rack.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I had them delivered to a local Volvo dealer to have them mounted on the rims. Those rims are so pretty, I worry that a local tire shop might not have the equipment to mount them properly. I don't quite recall what they charged me for mounting and balancing, but I remember thinking it was pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I also probably would have gone with a cheaper, 3rd party rim for the winter wheel set, but it's a trick to find a rim that will clear those Brembos, so I just bit the bullet.

'Not sure it was wise.

I think our Canadian and Norwegian brothers and sisters have found good winter rims that will work with the PP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How do you find the CrossClimate 2 for noise and harshness compared to the OEM summers? I need some winterish rubber as planning a trip to Germany at Christmas, but I don't really want a set of proper winter tyres as I don't need them in the UK.
Hey man. I will put my CC2 tomorrow.
Do you see a difference in range? Noise?

I just drove Stapleton to Granby Grand Elk Golf, parked overnight. Then back to Stapleton. My first trip up the mountains.
Started with 90% SOC. got home with 16% SOC. since was cool enough i did turn off the A/C. So cheated a little.
Loved how the PS2 drove thru the twists and turns.
Haven't noticed any difference in noise. Probably haven't had them long enough to say anything about range, but off the cuff consumption seems about the same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the SottoZero 3 from Tire Rack.

View attachment 7578

I had them delivered to a local Volvo dealer to have them mounted on the rims. Those rims are so pretty, I worry that a local tire shop might not have the equipment to mount them properly. I don't quite recall what they charged me for mounting and balancing, but I remember thinking it was pretty inexpensive.
Thanks, I'll check them out.Good advice about having them mounted also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To all the Norwegians and the Swede.
May i ask which winter tires you guys use on your P2? And for those with 2nd set of rims, after mkt or oem rims?
Quite late (one month... :) ) to answer your question by now, but I lease my P2 with OEM 19 inch rims ("5-V Spoke Black Diamond Cut Alloy") for my winter tires. Tires are Continental Viking Contact 7 (Nordic Winter tires, without studs).

When you buy or lease the car, Polestar have a couple of different stud free tires to choose from (both 19 and 20 inch), and the same with studs. I believe the other stud free is winter tire is Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
My PS2 nonPP was delivered in January to Toronto. We have 3-4 months of snow and ice in various combinations so winter tires were vital (not mandatory but they ought to be; well, at least we have vaccine passports...). . I understood the superiority of winter tires was generally in road conditions less than 7 degrees C, so that means a late November change over until end of March or so for us.

After discussion with the dealer I got Michelin X ice 245/45/R 19, CAD$1533. worked v well. Now on the standard summers. I am undecided but will likely get aftermarket alloys for when the change over comes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm nearly set and done. Went for a 2nd set of wheels with Pirelli Winter Sottozero. Coordinated through Gary Pipher at Polestar Manhattan (Note: Dan Filipe is no longer with them). Unfortunately Denver and Detroit could not get back to me with a solution as it looks like they're still getting setup to source parts.

All in it ran me $5k for wheels, tires, mounting, balancing, and delivery. Roughly $3k for the wheels (which is outrageous) and the rest for tires and services (which is palatable given margins, etc).

Did I overpay? Yes and I don't want to talk about it.

Should be delivered on Wednesday then I'll install myself whenever the weather turns.

EDIT: Note this is 20" for a PP.

Reactions: SandyS

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
376 Posts
I feel I want to jump in here on threads discussing all seasons as a complete alternative to good summer and winter tyre|tire sets.
Feel free to shoot me down, but summer and winter tyres have been developed to provide optimal performance in the weather conditions they were designed for. If you get real winters where you live and you can envisage needing/enjoying the handling characteristics of the P*2 on wet (or dry) summer roads, then please consider getting two sets.
Here's a link to a complete post:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts