Polestar Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Arrived today. Came poorly packaged in dark plastic, no cardboard protection - lucky they didn't get damaged. Looks like bolt cover plates are missing - will have to follow up on that. No gold valve covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’m in Toronto and we have winter/snow season here, but I took delivery of my P*2 PP in January and I did drive on snowy roads and the summer performance tires seem to perform decently last winter but I would like to get a dedicated wheel/snow tire set to be on the safe side. I couldn’t find any aftermarket wheels that will fit my PP-equipped car which is very frustrating and cringe at the thought of spending a fortune getting it through the dealership, if they do offer this option (though I would like a different design for my winter set, other than the P* OEM wheels).

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Arrived today. Came poorly packaged in dark plastic, no cardboard protection - lucky they didn't get damaged. Looks like bolt cover plates are missing - will have to follow up on that. No gold valve covers.
I don't think that's in error. You can swap the bolt cover plates and the valve covers when you switch the wheels. My extra set was delivered also without the covers and caps. My set was, however, packaged with great care... but that was 8 months ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, I just put in a deposit on a 2021 P2 without performance pack. Apparently it will come with 'summer' tires, but are they actually Michelin primacy (all season)? For me this is a massive (midlife) expenditure for a vehicle... looking to save where possible. Would 18" aftermarket wheels possibly fit? Or, must they be 19" minimum? Going down an inch in wheel size often results in some cost savings... Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Hello all, I just put in a deposit on a 2021 P2 without performance pack. Apparently it will come with 'summer' tires, but are they actually Michelin primacy (all season)? For me this is a massive (midlife) expenditure for a vehicle... looking to save where possible. Would 18" aftermarket wheels possibly fit? Or, must they be 19" minimum? Going down an inch in wheel size often results in some cost savings... Thanks ahead of time!
The 19” non performance stock tires (Michelin Primacy 4) are indeed summers.
The non performance brakes should be able to fit 18” rims but those might cost more than just switching out the 19” tires.
Alternatively you can try to beg and please for them to provide the car with all seasons. It’s low probability but they might go for it!!

Reactions: alanpoe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes 18" fit , you have few choice for polestar 2 . Just dont forget about weight of car. I know someone who put 18" Replika R222 wheels . I order 18" fastwheel FC04 with michelin xice snow i hope receive them this week 🤞.i choose 18" for winter because our Montreal roads have to much potholes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fwiw I just fitted Michelin pilot sport 5 winter tyres on my Dual motor 2021 polestar 2. Sourced from a Volvo dealer, they handle well, although they are a little slidy laterally in a unweighted corner compared to the contis fitted for the summer. But is only 5-6 degrees c at the moment - I’m expecting them to kill it when we have snow. (I live at 650 feet and drive through 950 feet every day - although in the UK).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm nearly set and done. Went for a 2nd set of wheels with Pirelli Winter Sottozero. Coordinated through Gary Pipher at Polestar Manhattan (Note: Dan Filipe is no longer with them). Unfortunately Denver and Detroit could not get back to me with a solution as it looks like they're still getting setup to source parts.

All in it ran me $5k for wheels, tires, mounting, balancing, and delivery. Roughly $3k for the wheels (which is outrageous) and the rest for tires and services (which is palatable given margins, etc).

Did I overpay? Yes and I don't want to talk about it.

Should be delivered on Wednesday then I'll install myself whenever the weather turns.

EDIT: Note this is 20" for a PP.
Hey ATK, looking to do the same as you and the Prof, and overspend on a new set of wheels with premounted winters. I’m local in Manhattan so working directly with them would be nice in theory. Did you have direct contact info for Gary? I‘ve just sent an email to the generic manhattan space address so will see how that goes, but might work better if I can get in direct touch with the same person who has done this before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My new Polestar 2 has summer tires and they are the first on a car I've owned, so am trying to plan what to do before autumn and winter are here.

From the research I've done, it looks like the P2 has the same size tires on all wheels and for my car, they are 245/40 R19. I've read older posts on the forum stating new tires should be designated XL because of the car's weight. Is the latter correct - I don't see that designation on the tire badge in the driver's door for "XL"?

My other question - not ever having had to seasonally change out tires is, do I have to buy a new set of wheels / will it make changing them easier, or can just the tires be swapped? I won't do the swap, will have Volvo or a tire store do it.

I have always had all seasons despite living in a cold climate where it snows a lot and where the all seasons typically perform terribly, but I was too lazy to do anything about before now. ;)

Any other advice or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
My new Polestar 2 has summer tires and they are the first on a car I've owned, so am trying to plan what to do before autumn and winter are here.

From the research I've done, it looks like the P2 has the same size tires on all wheels and for my car, they are 245/40 R19. I've read older posts on the forum stating new tires should be designated XL because of the car's weight. Is the latter correct - I don't see that designation on the tire badge in the driver's door for "XL"?

My other question - not ever having had to seasonally change out tires is, do I have to buy a new set of wheels / will it make changing them easier, or can just the tires be swapped? I won't do the swap, will have Volvo or a tire store do it.

I have always had all seasons despite living in a cold climate where it snows a lot and where the all seasons typically perform terribly, but I was too lazy to do anything about before now. ;)

I

i have bought a straight replica set of alloys and Mitchelin Pilot Sport 5 snow tyres. I’ll be able to swap them out myself, saving money over having to get the tyres swapped on the same alloys - and I cannot see me driving the car on steel rims. Since I swap;Ed them (last week), I am really impressed how quiet they are - I don’t think they are any louder than the standard fit tyres. Over 5 years - it is a £ 200 per annum additional cost - which is not much more expensive than getting the tyres changed on one set of alloys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reactions: djonno
41 - 50 of 50 Posts