Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I thought I’d create a thread to see if we can identify any CarPlay adaptors that might work.

The following does not work from amazon. It works in my sons Ford Fiesta fine but in the PS it tells me to check the network cable.

Carlinkit 3.0 mini Wireless CarPlay adapter,Suitable for cars with carplay function,For Audi,VW,Volvo,Citroen,Renault,Ford,Toyota,Opel,Kia Auto,Support IOS 15+,Plug and play upgrade wireless CarPlay

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi. I thought I’d create a thread to see if we can identify any CarPlay adaptors that might work.

The following does not work from amazon. It works in my sons Ford Fiesta fine but in the PS it tells me to check the network cable.

Carlinkit 3.0 mini Wireless CarPlay adapter,Suitable for cars with carplay function,For Audi,VW,Volvo,Citroen,Renault,Ford,Toyota,Opel,Kia Auto,Support IOS 15+,Plug and play upgrade wireless CarPlay
it specifically shows something about checking the network cable or is it just the same generic message you would see if nothing was plugged in at all?

·
Registered
247 Posts
+1 for the 3.0 mini - does not work nor the 4.0 Carlinkit which shows exactly the same error - I have a support request in for Carlinkit currently - their WhatsApp is *86 132 6686 6450

·
Registered
234 Posts
thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully we can find a device that works, or one of the vendors like Carlinkit can provide a solution. Sorry I can’t help right now as I don’t have my car yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Have you tried acess the dongles webserver for an firmware update? Carlinkit internal adress is 192.168.50.2
Here’s a guide:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use CarLinkIt 3.0 in my Subaru Outback 2020 which has an 11” vertical display similar to the P2. Works well in full screen mode. The two downsides, and I’m OK with it, when using the adapter are:

(1) I don’t see map turn directions in the small display above my steering wheel (which shows when wired), and

(2) it takes longer to connect than if wired or on cars that natively support wireless. Takes 20-30 seconds usually to connect.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have you tried acess the dongles webserver for an firmware update? Carlinkit internal adress is 192.168.50.2
Thanks - unfortunately if you can't connect to the car, it won't let you access the kit's web page/update - My 3.0 was updated a couple of weeks ago when in my TT. I've not updated the 4.0 yet due to the above connection problem - might give it one last go at update in the TT - before returning it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I can't seem to get my car play to work and not seen any specific instructions - other than plug in a usb-c to iPhone cable.. I keep getting a 'plug in your phone error message'. The cable I fine in that it starts charging the phone straightaway and I have also no issues with teh normal wireless charging
iPhone 11, tried both usb-c ports (not sure why one has a white outline) and even tried rebooting the infotainment..

My main reason for car play is to listen to podcasts as the steps involved in just using normal bluetooth are super-annoying. having said that the need to plug in a cable is also just as bad but I thought I would at least try it out. I will watch this thread as if there is a way to get wireless CarPlay then that would be perfect..

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hijack but I can't seem to get my car play to work and not seen any specific instructions - other than plug in a usb-c to iPhone cable.. I keep getting a 'plug in your phone error message'. The cable I fine in that it starts charging the phone straightaway and I have also no issues with teh normal wireless charging
iPhone 11, tried both usb-c ports (not sure why one has a white outline) and even tried rebooting the infotainment..

My main reason for car play is to listen to podcasts as the steps involved in just using normal bluetooth are super-annoying. having said that the need to plug in a cable is also just as bad but I thought I would at least try it out. I will watch this thread as if there is a way to get wireless CarPlay then that would be perfect..

Any advice appreciated.
are you plugging it into the right USB slot in tne car? Only 1 is enabled for data, the left hand one with the white outline. If so try a different cable, proper Apple one just to make sure it’s not that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Make sure you're using a genuine apple cable, or one you know works for data as well as power. They're not all the same.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Didn't realise that and I just have a bog standard amazon cable - will test it by connecting phone to my Apple Mac as a start.. And thanks gdotp for explaining the 2 ports..
Looks like I may have to fork out £20 for a apple cable - ridiculous..
Just had a thought in that I must have got a cable with the phone so will try and dig that out first - could be anywhere given most of my charging cables dotted round the house as amazon.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Launch Edition (Thunder/Slate)
1,809 Posts
Didn't realise that and I just have a bog standard amazon cable - will test it by connecting phone to my Apple Mac as a start.. And thanks gdotp for explaining the 2 ports..
Just had a thought in that I must have got a cable with the phone so will try and dig that out first - could be anywhere given most of my charging cables dotted round the house as amazon.

Thanks for the tips
No need to get an Apple cable specifically, any cable that isn’t just wired for power will do.

See this thread: Possibly the best CarPlay cable in the world...

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
You don't need an Apple cable, but you do need a fully wired one. Some are charge only. If you use the cable you've got to connect the phone to your Mac and it shows up in Finder, then it's a usable cable. If the phone charges, but doesn't appear in finder, then it's a crappy one.

Given most people use lightning to USB-C only for charging, they are more common than you'd think even though they don't meet the spec in any meaningful manner.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks - unfortunately if you can't connect to the car, it won't let you access the kit's web page/update - My 3.0 was updated a couple of weeks ago when in my TT. I've not updated the 4.0 yet due to the above connection problem - might give it one last go at update in the TT - before returning it.
You can update firmware with USB flash drive :

1 - 20 of 109 Posts