Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Given how many EV options have popped up in the last couple of years. I thought it would be interesting to hear which EVs were on your shortlist, why you were considering those particular EVs, and why you decided the Polestar 2 was for you. For those who have had their P2 for awhile, it would also be interesting to hear if you ever wonder if the grass would be greener with another EVs, even if not overall but in just particular features.

For me, before I placed my order for the P2, I was also strongly considering the Telsa Model 3 (long range), the Tesla Model Y, the Ioniq 5, the BMW i4, and the Audi e-tron Sportback. After renting a Telsa Model Y for a weekend, while I did enjoy driving it overall, I came to the conclusion that I want more of a traditional car setup, e.g., I want to adjust my vents, open the glovebox, move my mirrors, etc. by hand and not using a screen. I also didn't love how far Tesla took its minimalistic interiors. Also, Teslas are everywhere now where I live; I have starting counting them on my work commutes and usually see between 5-10 in just my 20 minute drive. I want something more unique. Of course range and efficiency are big selling points for Telsa, though. But in the end I decided against it, which was also helped by the fact that the Telsa Model 3 long range cannot even be ordered right now.

For the Ioniq 5, I kind of still like it, but the design may be a little too quirky for me, and I have never been a big fan of Hyundai overall. I have read the interior quality and infotainment is probably not on the same level as the P2 as well.

I decided against the BMW i4 and Audio e-tron for similar reasons. Firstly, they are more expensive than a P2, especially if you go for the e-tron S Sportback - that car lands near $100k USD. The BMW is better on price, but I have to admit I got overwhelmed trying to build one on their website due to the all the options. While on one hand it is kind of nice that there appears to be more standalone options (rather than many things being in just a couple of packs for the P2), I tried to build one by selecting all the options that would have been in the Plus and Pilot P2 packs, and in the end it felt like I was being nickel and dimed. Just looking at the cars themselves, though, for the BMW I just couldn't get past the design, both exterior and interior. It just seems less refined and less mature than the P2 . The Audi I like the design of more. I have also ridden in a co-worker's before and felt the ride was really smooth and comfortable. But I was kind of turned off by how it has less rated range than the P2.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2022 P2 Midnight PPP
182 Posts
I had a very similar shortlist and decision making process. My shortlist was: Ioniq5,BMW i4 and Polestar 2. Here's how I ultimately chose the Polestar 2. Tesla was never on there as I hate the colours and I can't unsee a melting Dodge Neon when I look at a Model 3 and it's just a total dealbreaker for me.

Ioniq5 - This honestly was probably at the top of my list and if all these vehicles were available immediately, I probably would have ended up with this - but maybe its lack of availability was for the best. The 800v architecture and 17 minute 10-80 charge time was a huge factor for me, and the performance in the test drive was much more impressive than I was expecting. I liked the looks and fully loaded it was about $10K Canadian less than a Polestar 2 with all 3 packs - dealers in Canada do not seem to be marking up new ones like they are in the US. However, after making my initial March deposit and being told about 5-6 months, I was then told not to expect delivery of one until probably 2024, which is absolutely insane. That timing alone completely removed it from my consideration so I got my deposit back. Its sister vehicles, the EV6 and GV60, have similar delivery times in Canada and I had even more dislikes about those vehicles.

BMW i4 - This was a little beyond my price range but the price actually felt reasonable for what you were getting in a luxury EV. But like you, once you start adding what you want, plus knowing their record for continuing to nickel and dime owners over years of ownership, I just didn't like it enough. Plus it was probably at least a year to get delivered in Canada too.

Polestar 2 - This was probably third on my list and I ended up test driving through the process of eliminating the other two. I think it's much better looking in real life, and was really impressed with my short test drive, and the quality of the options. I knew I could get one much more quickly than most EVs, and was impressed when I dug into the company story and where it was going in the future. In retrospect, despite the 400V architecture and the slightly slower charging, I'm glad I chose it over the Ioniq, It feels like a more interesting and special car.

·
Registered
2022 Magnesium, slate, PP, Pilot, Plus
23 Posts
Tesla model 3/y were top on my list until I sat in them. The seats were uncomfortable (to me) , it feels like you sitting on top of instead of in the seats - worse in the Y. Also did not care for the seat material..it feels rubbery. They are everywhere here as well and I do like a unique look.

was also considering a look at at the ioniq5 but every dealer is charging over MSRP, which I will not entertain. The Kia was also on the list to look at but it felt more like a family hauler then a fun car

The relative rarity , handling, seats , looks , fit/finish of the 2 sold me on the car.

·
Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
155 Posts
First choice Porsche Taycan wagon. Checked my bank account and that wasn't happening :p Then it was the Model 3. Everything else was either too expensive or a crossover outside of the 3. Trying hard to buck the crossover/SUV thing in my home. Test drove the 3 same day as the Polestar and in every way the Polestar is a better "car". The model 3 has better powertrain tech and software for sure though. It's just terrible at being an actual car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What I would really want is an EV wagon, but the only (non Chinese) EV wagon I know of is the Porsche Taycan which is out of my price range.
I also don't care for SUVs and the likes, especially not in an EV where efficiency matters (I know the P2 is slightly raised but not enough to be SUV-ish in my book). Sedan's are to unpractical for my needs which lead me in to hatchbacks.

The Polestar 2 and BMW i4 are the only cars matching my criteria's (as far as I know). Coming from a BMW 330e Touring, which I was really satisfied with, I would probably have got the i4 if the wait hadn't been so long. With that said, I'm still waiting for the P2 which should arrive in November.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tesla Model 3 long-range was the big competitor for me. The Kia EV6 GT Line was in there too.

I really dig the PoleStar styling though. And the power, even though the Tesla is slightly quicker

·
Registered
MY22 LRDM Snow Pilot Plus 20" wheels
451 Posts
My list of EVs I seriously considered were as follows:

BMW iX3 - actually had one on order for 4 months before cancelling in favour of my P*2.
BMW i4 - like some of you have said, the price ratchets up far too much when you add options. In the end it was poor value for money, especially when you compare it to the P*2 with Plus and Pilot packs, and wasn’t any better.
Ioniq 5 - liked the exterior styling, but couldn’t live with the interior quality.

My list that I discounted straight away:

Kia EV6 - didn’t like the exterior styling or interior quality, so only considered it briefly.
Jaguar iPace - expensive for what it is, and already feels a bit dated. Lovely on the inside though.
Tesla M3 - poor quality inside and out, central screen only, and no hatchback. I could just about live with looks, but only just…
Tesla MY - couldn’t live with the looks at all.
Any of the VW group SUVs (Audi Q4, VW ID.4, Skoda Eniyak) - horrible software, and surprisingly poor interior quality, especially the Audi).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Everything eligible for government incentives in Canada. Polestar won it simply because of the 4mo estimated wait time. Ioniq5/Kia ev6 3 years out, id4 not taking orders, machE 1-2yrs out. Unfortunately proven to be untrue, but I managed to get a preconfig which made the wait even better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I currently have use of a small van for work, but due to a change in job role was required to look at getting a company car through fleet, or take a cash allowance and buy/lease my own vehicle - Company also offer a salary sacrifice arrangement for new EVs, which after considering costs of fuel for the mileage I would be doing - EV was the best choice as the cost per mile is currently around 1/3rd that of the other option through work so chose to pick a car through the lease scheme and take the company cash allowance to pay a big proportion of the cost.

Through the company 'Green Car Scheme' I was somewhat limited as to what to choose from and wanted a car that could do over 200 miles on average on a charge, meaning I could get away with a full charge once every 3/4 days. Can charge at home and work so no need to worry about public charging and have a family car for regular/longer trips outside of work (although I suspect the P*2 will get more use by me outside if work)

I tested EV6 and Ioniq 5 - Would want the exterior of the Ioniq5 with EV6 interior....

Booked a test in Cupra Born as a bit more of a budget option, but it was written off the day before so the dealer cancelled and never called me back

Looked at a few Tesla M3s and Ys that colleagues have but wasn't all that impressed....

Ordered P*2 - on somewhat of a whim as it was/is the best looking car on offer in my budget - Going off of reviews on YT and in some mags. Managed to bag a test drive last month when a test event was set up in Kent and am very happy with my choice - Felt much more premium and better built than the rest on offer. Also going of the real word mileage given from EV Database there seems to be only 20/25 miles different between the SR and LR so instead of LRSM with no packs opted for SRSM with Plus pack for same price on the lease, and due to the company cash allowance my employer gives, it means, out of my pocket I'm no worse off than taking a Ford Puma/Focus on the fleet, but much beeter of on 'running' cost....Seemed like a no brainer

274 Posts
Tesla model 3/y were top on my list until I sat in them. The seats were uncomfortable (to me) , it feels like you sitting on top of instead of in the seats - worse in the Y. Also did not care for the seat material..it feels rubbery.
That's because they are rubber. Well, I suppose vinyl. I also have some contention about how Tesla tries to pretend they are leather by calling them "vegan leather". Common, give me a break. Every person I know that drives a Tesla(I used to) refers to their seats as "leather". I have the same contention when people with laminant floors call their floors wood. I know Mercedes also has a vinyl seat option that the call "MB Tex". At least this isn't trying to trick you in any way. Also Mercedes is not trying to be coy, the MB Tex is their base seat material instead of cloth and leather is offered as an extra cost option or in the case of their high end cars (s class etc) leather is the only option, as it should be in that range. Even in a 200k plaid you are still getting plastic seats which ONLY TESLA is able to get away with. I could see offering their plastic seats as a no cost option to their s and x for those who may want nothing to do with animal products.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tried to look at an Ioniq 5, none available to see let alone test, months delay, and ADM. Drove a ID4, liked it at first but no surround and huge delays on dual motor models. Saw an EV6 but $10k ADM and a really bad dealer experience so walked from that (no test drive available). Looked at a Chevy Bolt as a budget option, would actually do the job fine for what we want but again not a great dealer experience and the whole battery thing was still playing out.

So finally saw and drove a P2, loved it, the price was simple with no ADM, the dealer was very helpful and transparent about the buying process and what to expect, and the price was comparable to others when the ADM was included. So ordered that.

Didn’t look at a Taycan due to price, same with the Lucid although we have a showroom close (and it‘s huge!), and looked at Tesla several times but the whole center dash / no instrument panel thing turned us off. As it happens we‘ve had a friends new Taycan in our garage for a few weeks now and while I’m a Porsche guy and love the styling it really isn’t any more practical or roomy than the P2 and is twice the price. Lovely to be in though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Given how many EV options have popped up in the last couple of years. I thought it would be interesting to hear which EVs were on your shortlist, why you were considering those particular EVs, and why you decided the Polestar 2 was for you. For those who have had their P2 for awhile, it would also be interesting to hear if you ever wonder if the grass would be greener with another EVs, even if not overall but in just particular features.

For me, before I placed my order for the P2, I was also strongly considering the Telsa Model 3 (long range), the Tesla Model Y, the Ioniq 5, the BMW i4, and the Audi e-tron Sportback. After renting a Telsa Model Y for a weekend, while I did enjoy driving it overall, I came to the conclusion that I want more of a traditional car setup, e.g., I want to adjust my vents, open the glovebox, move my mirrors, etc. by hand and not using a screen. I also didn't love how far Tesla took its minimalistic interiors. Also, Teslas are everywhere now where I live; I have starting counting them on my work commutes and usually see between 5-10 in just my 20 minute drive. I want something more unique. Of course range and efficiency are big selling points for Telsa, though. But in the end I decided against it, which was also helped by the fact that the Telsa Model 3 long range cannot even be ordered right now.

For the Ioniq 5, I kind of still like it, but the design may be a little too quirky for me, and I have never been a big fan of Hyundai overall. I have read the interior quality and infotainment is probably not on the same level as the P2 as well.

I decided against the BMW i4 and Audio e-tron for similar reasons. Firstly, they are more expensive than a P2, especially if you go for the e-tron S Sportback - that car lands near $100k USD. The BMW is better on price, but I have to admit I got overwhelmed trying to build one on their website due to the all the options. While on one hand it is kind of nice that there appears to be more standalone options (rather than many things being in just a couple of packs for the P2), I tried to build one by selecting all the options that would have been in the Plus and Pilot P2 packs, and in the end it felt like I was being nickel and dimed. Just looking at the cars themselves, though, for the BMW I just couldn't get past the design, both exterior and interior. It just seems less refined and less mature than the P2 . The Audi I like the design of more. I have also ridden in a co-worker's before and felt the ride was really smooth and comfortable. But I was kind of turned off by how it has less rated range than the P2.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Nice thread to start a conversation I was also curious about.
We now have a Chevrolet Bolt. Absolutely great car. We have owned it for over 3 years no issues whatsoever.
That being said we would like to have all wheel drive and a little more comfort and size range etc.
Loved the Ioniq and EV6 and was ready to purchase until the price gouging tactics from Hyundai and Kia started, or "Market adjustment" as they like to call it. Also considered Tesla until I saw and read about Polestar. We drove to Portland and loved the car, Ordered one with a $500 deposit and an expected delivery in Oct.
The the new EV tax credit was signed and immediately raised the price of the P2 $7500. We were disappointed but I just couldn't justify that much of an increase so will probably cancel my order if nothing changes.
We recently tested the Tesla model Y and LOVED it!. We will be ordering one as soon as I can verify that Tesla will qualify
For the credit.
I am probably sounding like a cheapskate but I like to think I am just being frugal.
After all $61000 is a lot of bucks to spend on an automobile!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very interesting posts. I never made it as far as actually trying to order or purchase an Ioniq 5. Crazy how bad the delay is. I guess I shouldn't feel disappointed my P2 November 2022 estimate has moved to late January or early February. It could be a lot worse!

·
Registered
‘23 LRDM
144 Posts
We knew our next car was going to be an EV but, for me, Tesla was never an option. Musk’s antics turned me off the brand though I give him credit for revolutionizing the EV market. My experiences riding in Teslas have reinforced the decision. I do not want to have to use the tablet to adjust the vents or open the glovebox, nor do I want to be driving a car that thinks including fart noises is a good idea. And then, there’s the subpar build quality and unimpressive ride quality.

I was ready to get an EV6 but then the dealer mark-ups came along, and after looking at a lot of reviews, decided the Ioniq 5 was probably a better fit anyway. Of course, Hyundai has the same dealer mark-up problem, plus the dealer didn’t bother to call me back for (literally) a month. I would have been settling for styling I didn’t like that much, too.

I also thought about the Mach-E, but delivery is too far into the future to be practical.

Then I read about the P2. I liked the sales model, even if it’s not entirely realized in practice. The ability to schedule a test drive on-line and the lack of sales games was a very pleasant departure from previous car buying experiences. I appreciated the Volvo heritage combined with Geely’s heft (We had an 850 turbo wagon that’s still my wife’s favorite car, and my son lives in China so that’s a nice connection for me). Being able to order what I wanted was fun. The leases are pretty attractive, especially for the dual motor. I also wanted a smaller car, which the P2 is even though it doesn’t necessarily look it, and I like the normal door handles. They are just really pretty cars. There’s a lot more, but it’s probably just confirmation bias.

We’re scheduled for delivery this week🥳

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just ordered the P2 recently.

My short list is similar, p2, i4, ev6 and m3.

BMW i4 - liked the interior but exterior wasnt for me. once spec'd to same as p2 pilot and plus pack it was £9k more expensive for a car that maybe is slightly better at best.

Kia Ev6 - was initially top of my shortlist but found the cabin to be plastic feeling to me which I was surprised by. Customer service at the dealership was terrible which really put me off. The test drive wasn't great as we only has 20 mins and they left OPD on which we are not use too.

Model 3 - enjoyed the test drive and thought there interior was decent. Price for the base version was comparable to p2. Ultimately we decided against the overly minimalist cabin, but can see why people are buying them.

P2 - just loved it as soon as I sat in it. Felt immediately at ease. I found it easy to adjust all all the things I needed on the test drive quickly. Drove as good as the BMW maybe at high speeds and cornering you might be able to tell a difference. Customer service at the space in Westfield was great.

·
Registered
631 Posts
At the time (mid-2019), I was considering a Tesla Model Y and the Polestar 2.

Wanted a hatch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PS2, Ioniq5, Enyaq,Q4,ID4,EV6,Ariya,Solterra, Model 3
Ioniq5: + love the space in the cabin. 800v architecture
- maybe a little bit to futuristic design for my taste, delivery time.
Enyaq: + Liked the coupe. Spacious. -delivery time, infotainment
ID4: +spacious -just didn’t wake any interest in me. ID5 would have been more in my taste but the interior wasnt just in my taste.
Q4: -delivery time, expensive
EV6: +spacious, 800v architecture -hated the seats. Not sure if the adjustments were weird but i couldn’t get them to feel good. Interior gave a little too much Kia vibe :), delivery time
Ariya: +spacious, 22kw charger -availability
Solterra: +awd, spacious -design, the steering wheel is the most ugliest I’ve seen :)
Model 3: boot not dog friendly

PS2:
Space was my biggest concern. When I went to look at the car and the dimensions, I realized that the boot will be big enough for most of the time, and when it’s not, I can add space with the ski box on the roof. But the backseat was a bigger problem. It felt small at first but when i adjusted the seat to a more upward position, which was still ok for me as a driver, It brought a lot of more space to the backseat. The kids will survive :) +love the design, quality, infotainment, delivery time -space.

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
605 Posts
My next EV purchase when my wife's 2020 Ioniq goes off lease in November is going to be a Tesla Model 3, no if's and's or but's. It was going to be an Ioniq 5 (or whatever Ioniq is out by then) but I'm never going to deal with a dealership again in my life. My brother in law spent 4 months trying to buy an Ioniq 5, and when they finally had one, with the ADM (dealer markup above MSRP) and the crap dealer add-on's, it ended up the same price as the Model 3, so he bought the Model 3.

As much as I love my Polestar, the hassle I've gone through so far (you can see my thread on that), my wife wouldn't want me to buy another one. BTW, you can read about what my brother in law and I went through trying to buy an Ioniq 5 and Sienna Hybrid:

• Sad
Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
96 Posts
It was really any EV that would give us a reasonable lease deal. PS2 is a good car, but it had the best lease deal by far. XC40 and C40 were ridiculous, they wanted $5K down and $1200 a month!!. EV6 and Ioniq5, they wanted $5K down and $8-900 a month!! i4 is DISGUSTING!! 🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢🥴

1 - 20 of 50 Posts