Polestar Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ordered mid-2020 and teh choice was very limited back then with lots of ev's in the pipeline but with covid rampapnt and lockdowns i had to choice something that was actually available. As I recall, there wasnt much choice at all in the mid-range 50k segment - ipace/e-tron etc were all well out of my price range.

My first choice at the time was the XC40 but that wasn't available and also cost more with less range. Not a fan of tesla design and its just model S that appeals to me - aside from price.

As it happened the P2 was a great choice and I still haven't seen anything comparable (price, style, range, features) so most likley I will still go for the same today. Back then there was a govt grant so first edition with all bells/whistles for under 50k.

Like many others, the one car that stands out at the moment is the taycan... just something about porsche design. Though lack of a hatchback is problamatic for day to day use.

I bought it outright and not sure how long I will keep the P2 - maybe 5 years and then see whats happening

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me it was a straight shoot out between the i4 and the P*2.

I had just come from a 335D so i was familiar with BMW and their systems and i liked the look and feel of the i4... it was familiar.
I picked the P*2 for a few reasons over it, firstly i wanted dual motor (all wheel drive) the BMW only had rear wheel drive on the M40 so you were getting the M50 to get the all wheel drive, the M40 was 300ish horsepower and was still around £7-10k more expensive than what the P*2 was so that was the biggest thing, for the money i felt you paid more and got less.

I was comforted that although a sort of new company, it was quite obviously a Volvo which is rebadged.

I am also 100% in on Android, and have been from the start of the smart phone days (all my phones have either been Nexus or Pixel) so having a car running android was abit of icing on the cake to be honest, i have a family youtube premium account, so having You tube music in the app store (i'm sure no other cars have this, on my BMW it was either Deezer or napster) was also a nice to have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered mid-2020 and teh choice was very limited back then with lots of ev's in the pipeline but with covid rampapnt and lockdowns i had to choice something that was actually available. As I recall, there wasnt much choice at all in the mid-range 50k segment - ipace/e-tron etc were all well out of my price range.

My first choice at the time was the XC40 but that wasn't available and also cost more with less range. Not a fan of tesla design and its just model S that appeals to me - aside from price.

As it happened the P2 was a great choice and I still haven't seen anything comparable (price, style, range, features) so most likley I will still go for the same today. Back then there was a govt grant so first edition with all bells/whistles for under 50k.

Like many others, the one car that stands out at the moment is the taycan... just something about porsche design. Though lack of a hatchback is problamatic for day to day use.

I bought it outright and not sure how long I will keep the P2 - maybe 5 years and then see whats happening
You make a good point about the gov grant, it was only applied to cars under £50k so it provided a ceiling to customers, and the likes of P*2 and Tesla M3 would make sure their cars stayed under the £50k (even if only by a tenna) then with the £3k grant it made the car £47k, with basically the pilot and plus pack. You're talking about £57k for that now.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
My list is very long…..
P2
P3
P4
P5
P6
Reserve the following space for
P7
P8
P9 - P21……we should have spaceships with warp drives when p22 gets released so I’ll abandon this planet and I’ll for find one I can settle on and set the rules and regulations as the founder and Supreme Overlord of Planet K.

·
Registered
On order: SRSM Plus/Pilot Lite in Magnesium
21 Posts
I started a new job in August and have access to a company car scheme (salary sacrifice) though work, but it's limited to vehicles that emit less than 75g CO2/km and have a list value of £50,000 or less.
I also need something with a hatch (for the dog) and preferred something that wasn't an SUV, although that wouldn't have been a deal breaker. Which didn't leave that much choice! But I've loved the design of the Polestar 2 since they first unveiled it and I've wanted one since then.

The lease company also further restricted choice as a lot of cars aren't available to order - for example, the Tesla Model 3, VW ID.3, VW ID.4, Skoda Enyaq, Audi Q4, and Hyundai Ioniq 5 were all unavailable due to the crazy lead times.

Before I was told about the £50k restriction, I was thinking one of 4 options - be sensible and get either an ID.3 or a Cupra Born, be less sensible and get a SRSM Polestar, be a bit silly and get a LRDM Polestar, or very silly and get a BMW i4. The BMW drives beautifully, and whilst it's not quite as quick as the LRDM Polestar, it felt more rewarding to me. But then the £50k restriction came in, and took away the silly options!

Incidentally- regarding the VW group infotainment systems- they're definitely, erm, different. More recent software updates have massively improved stability, but there's a big learning curve to them. My parents have a Skoda Enyaq which they love, and despite being not the most techy people they've managed to learn the infotainment and are quite happy with it, but it's a steeper learning curve I think than most cars. I certainly don't think that it's as much of a downside as a lot of people make out.

Now I've just got to wait for the car to arrive!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 LRDM
33 Posts
Had the P2 at the dealer to fix a sensor issue and test drove an EV6 while waiting. Ride quality perhaps smoother but everything else felt very tacky in the interior. I'm sure it would do the job but I just did not feel like sitting in it for hours on end. It was also the dual motor and was another NZ$10,000! Also tested the Ionic 5 and felt I was sitting on a kitchen chair inside a very large box. So picked up the P2 and drove home satisfied!

·
Registered
46 Posts
We replaced a Chevy Volt that was destroyed in a windstorm. Our other household car is a Model 3 Performance. Wanted another EV, but not willing to go much over $50,000 Canadian for this car. We considered the following:

• Nissan Leaf: obsolete DC charging and poor battery tech. No go. Too bad, the size of the car is perfect.
  • Chevy Bolt EUV: Inexpensive and checked all the boxes we needed with LT package. Actually ordered one but delivery delays in Canada are 12-18 months.
  • Hyundai Kona Electric: Pretty good vehicle, but interactions with a few Hyundai dealers convinced me to look elsewhere.
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5: Same as above, and delivery delays of 18+ months.
  • VW ID4: Would have loved one of these, but VW Canada was not even taking any orders at the time and the backlog is huge. A neighbour ordered one in summer of 2021 and still has not received it.
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E: Even the base model was a bit over out budget, and doesn't even have heated seats. Also a bit too big for us, it would be a tight fit in our garage.
  • Polestar 2: Was not considering until I stumbled onto a 2022 preconfig LRSM at $49,990 for late September delivery. Had all the features we wanted except the heated steering wheel. More expensive that the Bolt EUV we had ordered, but a nicer car overall, and more trunk space.
In the end, the main reason we'll end up with the Polestar is because it wan the race to delivery vs. the Bolt EUV that we ordered in early June that hasn't even been scheduled for production yet. Not super glamourous, but for us the Polestar will be more of a utilitarian car. The Tesla is the fun car :)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts