Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rim width is the same front and rear, only the offset differs iirc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I ended up getting what I thought was going to be tires and wheels from the NYC space, but it turned out to just be the tires without wheels for the Performance Package P2.

I am struggling to get the wheels!! I will update if I find anything, and all of the sites only have the 20 inch non performance package options.

The closest thing I have found is the picture below, but I am unsure if it is perf package or standard 20:

Screenshot_20201130-094449_Chrome.jpg

If anyone has gone down this road already please let me know!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Rim width is the same front and rear, only the offset differs iirc.
I recall this being the initial understanding, but that it's incorrect. The rear rims, on the performance package at least, are wider from what I recall and, apparently, from Warb's post here.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry I didn't post the link originally, but if you go to the page and expand the 19 inch wheels it also shows a staggered width of 8jx19 ET 50 and 9jx19 ET 53.

I am looking thru sites and I am realizing 45mm offset seems to be the highest I can come across...finding a 50mm and a 53mm offset seems challenging..or am I just doing it wrong??

Edit: Just had a shop pull the wheels and the dimensions listed above for the 20s above match what is labeled on the inner rim on my perf pack wheels. Also Polestar Manhattan confirmed the screenshot above is accurate for center bore and PCD.

Front P/N 32243856 (8JX20 ET50)
Rear P/N 32134525 (9JX20 ET53)

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK, trying to revive this discussion about aftermarket wheels, in my case for my non-PP 19" Polestar 2. I want to get a separate set of wheels for my winter tires (FWIW, I'm getting the Michelin X-ice Snow 245/45/R19 tires). Hard to figure out an appropriate wheel set for a few reasons:

1) I can't find any major tire/wheel dealers that have the P2 listed on their website

2) The wheel size and offsets listed elsewhere on this forum (8Jx19xET50 front, and 9Jx19xET53 rear) seem a bit non-standard (well, the offset are large, at least)

• I don't know how much it matters to exactly match the offsets. This may be almost impossible without actually trying the wheel on the car (?)
  • I also don't know if I need to match the different front/back rim widths for my winter tires. Or if I could just go 8" (or 9") on both.

I need to order my winter tires now because the Michelin snows always sell out by December. So I'm going to get them now, even though my car is probably at least a few weeks out. Worst case, I can always put my snows on the stock tire for this winter and figure out a second set of wheels next summer when people actually know what a Polestar is.

Curious if anyone has anything more to add to this. Especially US folks dealing with US tire/wheel retailers.
Have you found any wheels?
I would like to have 18in winters but could be satisfied with 19s.
No luck finding info on aftermarket rims that will fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did a lot of research on this and it is unlikely 18’’ wheels will fit. Any 19’’ wheel that fits a XC40 gas or Recharge will fit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did a lot of research on this and it is unlikely 18’’ wheels will fit. Any 19’’ wheel that fits a XC40 gas or Recharge will fit.
Thank you. I wonder if Volvo will give me a deal and I can just delete the centre logo?
Or I can find their dimensions for a 19 winter tire.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I would be very cautious. I think you could find rims that match all the numbers given above, but still not work. None of those numbers take into account the size and location of the brake calipers.

Volvo wheels might work... they might. Just be sure to check before committing.

Reactions: JMP2

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
Anyone check out Martian wheels?:

They're more made for Teslas specifically, but seems they have some sizes that would work for our size rims.
They claim their design yields significant wheel weight reduction, yielding lower unsprung mass. But I wonder how much is just the marketing - our wheels are forged alloys (right) so not should where the supposed weight reduction would come in?

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
You also have to worry about strength. Our massive cars must put a world of hurt on our wheels.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,994 Posts
True, but no more than Teslas. I wonder if those lightweight Magnesium alloys that Bjorn Nyland has on his Model 3 would fit...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone check out Martian wheels?:

They're more made for Teslas specifically, but seems they have some sizes that would work for our size rims.
They claim their design yields significant wheel weight reduction, yielding lower unsprung mass. But I wonder how much is just the marketing - our wheels are forged alloys (right) so not should where the supposed weight reduction would come in?
It is bizarre but Polestar 2 performance's 20 inch wheel + tyre combo is probably among the heaviest at 57 lb which makes one wonder how can they be forged. Model 3 performance is at 55 which is not great either. The original tyre weight is very typical at 27

Martian 18x7 is at 21 lb so 19x8 would probably be at 25 or something?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just an anecdotal observation, but my 19in winter wheel (flow forged) is lighter than the stock.
I only know as I had to carry both into my garage.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
It is bizarre but Polestar 2 performance's 20 inch wheel + tyre combo is probably among the heaviest at 57 lb which makes one wonder how can they be forged. Model 3 performance is at 55 which is not great either. The original tyre weight is very typical at 27

Martian 18x7 is at 21 lb so 19x8 would probably be at 25 or something?
I got a reasonable quote from Martian for a custom design and am thinking if I should pull the trigger..... any way could use this to make for a softer ride?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a reasonable quote from Martian for a custom design and am thinking if I should pull the trigger..... any way could use this to make for a softer ride?
Is there any way to design them a wheel like te37 which can clear 380mm 6 piston brembo with 18 wheels? That would help a lot:alien:

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
Is there any way to design them a wheel like te37 which can clear 380mm 6 piston brembo with 18 wheels? That would help a lot:alien:
I'll ask!
I'm apparently one of the first to ping them with a Polestar so they're willing to make things to our spec I think. Ping away or if you'd rather I can collate the requests.

I'm tempted to ask for basically the minimum (18"? 17"?) that can fit my 19" nonPP spec for a (hopefully) smoother and less bumpy ride (potentially more efficient?), and then consider having 2 sets of rims/wheels - one for every day use and the other for fun. I fully understand the likelihood that I'll basically never get to the latter because my wife/kids will driving-fun-block me.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
Do you or anyone out there know what the minimal rim size is that could be put on the nonPP spec? and for the PP spec?

I just spoke with the Martian Wheels guys and they're willing (potentially excited?) to put together options for the Polestar, especially as Spaces are opening up in the US, particularly in Denver where they're HQed.
What I need to get to them are the minimum rim size allowed and also what designs we'd like. I pointed them to the Polestar website and I basically said to clone those (as much as copyright allows...)

Or, any thoughts on how I could make the relevant measurement myself? Guessing they would want more exact numbers but I'm happy to give it a go.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts