Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

· Registered
1,705 Posts
I saw this headline earlier and was at first a little disappointed, but having seen the pictures I'm less bothered than I was expecting.

If the big change is replace the current P*2 'square blocks' grill with a newer smoothed over one, I'm glad to be getting one with the original grill. I don't like the trend for totally smooth panels across the front which all look the same. It's something I don't like about Tesla's, and seems to be the trend with other EVs following suit, like the Nissan Ariya or Volvo C40 Recharge. It will be interesting to see if there are any other changes. One article mentions a new design of the dashboard on the passenger side - although I'm not convinced: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ll-has-a-few-tricks-up-its-sleeve-197554.html

Edit: One thing I was curious about, is that a small LIDAR mounted central above the windscreen? Similar to what is going into the P*3?
I don't see anything different to the dash in the pictures there. And it's clearly a MY21 car, now that they've shown the interior.

Anyway, I had suspected that the module up top was a receiver for the sensors mounted to all 4 hubs, and I'm now even more convinced of that, given the photo of the laptop screen that is showing that they're doing a brake temp test. It appears that the red button in the cupholder is a regen override button, so they can do pure mechanical brake testing for temp purposes. Probably to see just how much aero they can introduce to the wheels without causing braking issues.

The other reason I doubt it's related to lidar is because it's far too small. I've not seen a lidar unit that small anywhere, and even Polestar has shown their's as both a fixed bulge (initially on the Precept concept car), and then later as a retracting unit in the same location. But in no case have they been that small. They don't need to be Hyundai/Motional-sized tumors, but there's definitely a trade-off on size, accuracy, and price.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2,927 Posts
See I don't think they will lose the grille. I believe they want to slit from Volvo styling and be more their own brand identity.

Therefore I think this is mealy some tests and/or new grille design and not a "make it look like Volvo" type thing.

I could be wrong ... but I just feel making it look like a Volvo more than it already does is a mistake.

· Registered
151 Posts
See I don't think they will lose the grille. I believe they want to slit from Volvo styling and be more their own brand identity.

Therefore I think this is mealy some tests and/or new grille design and not a "make it look like Volvo" type thing.
Also the Polestar guy is the former designer of Volvo. Presumably someone else has taken over, so if anything Volvo should start diverging more from Polestar, not less.

· Registered
10,814 Posts

I could be wrong ... but I just feel making it look like a Volvo more than it already does is a mistake.
Agreed. And if they don't differentiate themselves sufficiently they'll have trouble marketing at at higher price point. The last thing you want to do is repeat the mistakes of 1980s GM.

· Registered
1,705 Posts
Agreed. And if they don't differentiate themselves sufficiently they'll have trouble marketing at at higher price point. The last thing you want to do is repeat the mistakes of 1980s GM.
I've had conversations with people in Polestar who absolutely want the Volvo connection for now. It establishes the brand as stable, safe, and well built.

· Registered
10,814 Posts
I've had conversations with people in Polestar who absolutely want the Volvo connection for now. It establishes the brand as stable, safe, and well built.
They've already discussed openly the desire to differentiate further. And if they stay too close to Volvo they will never compete with Porsche as they claim they want to.

· Registered
974 Posts
I spotted a test vehicle at the supermarket the other day. It too had a taped grill but I took a couple of sneaky photos. A small part of the grille was visible untaped and confirms 100% that they will be going with a body colour painted panel akin to the PS3/XC40/C40.

I didn't notice any other changes, it was dark but the interior seemed to be a standard charcoal interior. nothing jumped out as different.

I removed the license plate so as not to get the driver in trouble... I guess it's not a problem as it's clearly allowed out on public roads.

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

· Registered
Launch edition in thunder/slate
252 Posts
My24 model is now showing on my work salary sacrifice scheme to order
220kw 82kwh long range SM (plus)
310kw 82kwh long range DM
350kw 82kwh long range DM performance
310kw 82kwh long range DM (pliot & plus)
Are the options available
No new colours and no new interior options from what I can see

· Registered
10,814 Posts
A small part of the grille was visible untaped and confirms 100% that they will be going with a body colour painted panel akin to the PS3/XC40/C40.
I see that on the top, but on the bottom it looks like a current P2 grill.

If they do change it they can probably get 10 more miles of range for advertising purposes. Otherwise it's too bad that it might become more generic looking.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
I like the silver/aluminum piece at the bottom of the grill. Makes it look like the front of the car is smiling at you…especially on a sunny day.

But ”facelifts” are all part of the automotive process, and inevitable.

· Registered
1,207 Posts

I totally get that. I also suspect that they hope/expect to get some bleed off customers from Volvo.

I only wish that Polestar had a strong(er) agreement/connection with all the Volvo dealerships around the country so that repair/sales facilities weren’t so dispersed.

IMO, Polestar loses customers who have to drive 30+ (or much further) miles just to see and test drive a P2…when they have VW, Hyundai or Kia dealerships just a few miles from their house. Polestar has a lot on their plate right now, in a very competitive market…and dealing with a face lift would not be where my focus would be.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
But where do people have to put their performance sticker if there’s isn’t a grill anymore?

On many other brands, such stickers/badges are usually found on the rear of the car. Some also put them on the front grill, but if that option goes away with future Polestar’s, then probably in the rear….which makes more sense as the people you just passed, then get to see your new badge. 😎

· Registered
1,705 Posts
I see that on the top, but on the bottom it looks like a current P2 grill.

If they do change it they can probably get 10 more miles of range for advertising purposes. Otherwise it's too bad that it might become more generic looking.
It's not. As was covered way back with the first spy shots, it's the same slat style that's currently found on the XC40/C40, rather the alternating blocks currently found on the P2 grill.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts