Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If any of you with this error actually get to the root cause of it, please post up what it is. As I mentioned earlier mine was with the BECM (Battery Energy Control Module). I know of another XC40 driver in Australia who's issue was their rear motor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If any of you with this error actually get to the root cause of it, please post up what it is. As I mentioned earlier mine was with the BECM (Battery Energy Control Module). I know of another XC40 driver in Australia who's issue was their rear motor.
The first time I experienced this warning message, the car was still functioning like normal. My local Space took a look at it and did not find anything wrong, and they just did a software update from 2.1 to 2.2.

Three weeks later, my P2 experienced this issue again. This time the P2 was in turtle mode and cannot be put into drive. While I was waiting for the tow truck, the car was back to normal an hour later after I briefly locked the car and left. This time the car stayed at my local Space for a week, and they replaced the inverter.

It has been almost three weeks since my second visit, and everything seems running fine. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks
Propulsion Syatem Failure happened today leaving to go onto the Motorway in the UK, on slip road waiting for assistance, let’s see what happens next. 21 plate with 10.4k miles on the clock. Completely agree with most owner’s views that we love the car but not the quirks!!! Especially when this one!!! The saga will continue!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had this error on the German Autobahn, the propulsion system error and battery level jumped from 42% to 20% and turtle mode, reduced my speed from 180 back to 100kmh (no choice the power was gone). barely maintaining speed at 100kmh for a few minutes ( no safe place to stop ), the reduces power slowly went away and the error message was gone again.
Maybe a stupid choice but when the error was gone for a few minutes I increased my speed a bit 150~160kmh when the error came back within 5minutes. and it did not go away anymore. When I left the autobahn with a speed of around 90kmh I stopped for about 20minutes turned the car of and left it. when I came back and turned on the car the error was still there. showing a charge of ~5%.. drove around country roads maxing out at 70kmh... after another 20minutes the error went away (change back to 20%) drove to a charger (driving very carefully) charged from 20 to 42% when the charging stopped with an error. after disconnecting the changer drove (no bunny hops, just no very low power) to a normal parking spot waited for a few minutes when the error went away again.
completed my journey driving carefully, not asking too much power, and limiting my speed to around 100-120kmh, haven't seen the error again. I feel like its a battery temp issue. (would love a bit more info on errors like these, If I am correct and this is a hot battery: I would love the be able to see the battery temp and its limit)

All of this happened with version 2.3 (got is at the volvo dealer last week because of an issue with my doors that did not lock or unlock)

·
Registered
'22 P*2 LRDM | Midnight | Barley | Plus | Pilot | Performance
89 Posts
Had this error on the German Autobahn, the propulsion system error and battery level jumped from 42% to 20% and turtle mode, reduced my speed from 180 back to 100kmh (no choice the power was gone). barely maintaining speed at 100kmh for a few minutes ( no safe place to stop ), the reduces power slowly went away and the error message was gone again.
Maybe a stupid choice but when the error was gone for a few minutes I increased my speed a bit 150~160kmh when the error came back within 5minutes. and it did not go away anymore. When I left the autobahn with a speed of around 90kmh I stopped for about 20minutes turned the car of and left it. when I came back and turned on the car the error was still there. showing a charge of ~5%.. drove around country roads maxing out at 70kmh... after another 20minutes the error went away (change back to 20%) drove to a charger (driving very carefully) charged from 20 to 42% when the charging stopped with an error. after disconnecting the changer drove (no bunny hops, just no very low power) to a normal parking spot waited for a few minutes when the error went away again.
completed my journey driving carefully, not asking too much power, and limiting my speed to around 100-120kmh, haven't seen the error again. I feel like its a battery temp issue. (would love a bit more info on errors like these, If I am correct and this is a hot battery: I would love the be able to see the battery temp and its limit)

All of this happened with version 2.3 (got is at the volvo dealer last week because of an issue with my doors that did not lock or unlock)
Nooooo! Sorry to read this. I guess it's not a 2.2 issue exclusively.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel like its a battery temp issue. (would love a bit more info on errors like these, If I am correct and this is a hot battery: I would love the be able to see the battery temp and its limit)
In my case, the maximum temperature on the day of the failure was only 22 degrees celcius, and I got the error as soon as I entered the car so the battery wouldn't have heated up yet from driving. So I think there's more in play than just the temperature unfortunately :(

·
Registered
MY22 LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
692 Posts
It happened.

Today I was driving about 25 mph and experienced the dreaded Propulsion System Failure. The car immediately started stuttering—not in a comforting way—and abruptly slowed to a complete stop. In the middle of a busy intersection.

“Stop safely.” (Like I had a choice.)
“The vehicle will stop.” (Tell me something I don’t already know.)
“Propulsion system failure.” (You don’t say.)

This was the message on the dash display.

The car would barely move at this point. And I’m stuck in the middle of a busy intersection. At rush hour.

It took me 10-15 mins to CRAWL the vehicle onto a side street. And when I say crawl, I mean I was moving about an inch per hour (new acronym alert: IPH). And even that dreadfully slow crawl was very stressful because the car would only move (and really, it was more of a staccato stutter) if I pressed down almost completely on the accelerator. This really stressed me out because the car was obviously having a complete meltdown. And what if the car all of a sudden decided to accelerate? Very dangerous.

When I finally got the car safely onto a side street, it then stopped moving entirely. Literally wouldn’t move forward. Except— it would crawl and stutter backwards. Again— very, very slowly. And with terrible mechanical pulsing noises coming from the car. The car was obviously having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Once I was in a safe location I called Polestar support. And after a few minutes they dispatched a tow truck to my location. And promised me I’d get a loaner or rental in the morning.

When the tow truck finally arrived (after 90 minutes), the car would no longer shift into any gear. The only thing that was happening when I tried to shift the gear lever was a series of sequential warning messages that would rotate on the dash display. I tried everything. Getting out. Locking the car. Rebooting the infotainment. Etc. Nothing would work. The car would not shift into any gear.

After about 10 minutes of the tow truck driver and I brainstorming what to do—and him about to winch the vehicle onto the flatbed on wheel dollys—we had a thought that the car must have a ‘Tow Mode’ or something like that. So I fumbled around the settings and eventually found it. We followed the directions and thankfully we got the car into neutral, so it could be winched onto the flatbed.

The car is currently being towed to the nearest service location—150 miles away.

Interestingly, it was about a week ago that I upgraded to 2.2. And ever since that time—in fact, it was immediately after I got into the car after the upgrade—I began receiving parking sensor and brake warnings. I could tell nothing mechanically was different in the car. But these error messages were consistently random. And then today—BOOM!—total propulsion system failure.

I’ve had my car for a year. I’ve been patient with a lot of the software issues because I truly enjoy the car. But tonight, wow, things really changed for me. Putting all the inconveniences aside, this is a major safety issue that Polestar needs to address.

View attachment 16047

View attachment 16048
I had these exact same symptoms today. Only problem was I was doing 110km/h in lane 4 on the highway when it happened. In the last couple of weeks I have had the 'propulsion warning' message pop up twice while doing about 80km/h and before I could get anywhere to stop, the message went away.

Today the propulsion warning message popped up, followed by 'acceleration reduced' and the car slowed and wouldn't go past about 70 km/h. The road was busy-ish but thankfully I got across lanes before it slowed even more as I pulled up on the shoulder. There was a message about '12v system failure' and another 'urgent! contact service'. I was on the shoulder of a busy highway and wondered if I could limp the 2km to the next exit. I tried to pull forward and got the same "inch per hour" as you, then judder shudder judder stop.

I called Polestar assistance and they engaged the local roadside mob RACQ. I told them that the car was dead and would need lifting on to a truck. I got a call shortly after from RACQ saying that a truck with a battery charger would be with me shortly and would get me on my way. I explained that this wasn't going to resolve the issue and again said the car needed putting on a truck. The truck driver called me a bit later and said don't worry I'll be there with the charger shortly. Sigh. When the guy finally got to me, he was pretty good. We figured out towing mode and got the car on the truck.

I called Polestar again and said where are we taking the car? Are we going to Eagle Farm (the compound of the logistics firm who delivered the car) and they said yes and confirmed the address. When we got to Eagle Farm (almost an hour later) there was nobody there. I called again and asked if somebody should be meeting me and (a different person this time) said "oh I think there has been a communication mix up. Let me check". Then confirmed I had to be 40km down the highway - pretty close to whee I broke down in the first place. Luckily the truck driver dropped me home (nearby) and took the car.

Anyhoo so now I have to wait for the call tomorrow. Also need to chase them for a loan car. I can't be without a car Weds/Thurs this week.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Forgot to mention. MY22 LRSM and updated to 2.3 four days ago.

This means the first two times this message popped up I was on 2.2 and then on 2.3 when it failed completely.
Ambient temperature would have been around 20C the first two times, probably 28C this time.
I had only driven about 8km from home the first two times (it happened in almost exactly the same spot) and probably 40km this time.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,827 Posts
It sounds like that this propulsion error does not care for system versions. The question is, is yours a hoax type, or actually hardware part going bad? …. Hopefully you get a loaner end they find out quickly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had these exact same symptoms today. Only problem was I was doing 110km/h in lane 4 on the highway when it happened. In the last couple of weeks I have had the 'propulsion warning' message pop up twice while doing about 80km/h and before I could get anywhere to stop, the message went away.

Today the propulsion warning message popped up, followed by 'acceleration reduced' and the car slowed and wouldn't go past about 70 km/h. The road was busy-ish but thankfully I got across lanes before it slowed even more as I pulled up on the shoulder. There was a message about '12v system failure' and another 'urgent! contact service'. I was on the shoulder of a busy highway and wondered if I could limp the 2km to the next exit. I tried to pull forward and got the same "inch per hour" as you, then judder shudder judder stop.

I called Polestar assistance and they engaged the local roadside mob RACQ. I told them that the car was dead and would need lifting on to a truck. I got a call shortly after from RACQ saying that a truck with a battery charger would be with me shortly and would get me on my way. I explained that this wasn't going to resolve the issue and again said the car needed putting on a truck. The truck driver called me a bit later and said don't worry I'll be there with the charger shortly. Sigh. When the guy finally got to me, he was pretty good. We figured out towing mode and got the car on the truck.

I called Polestar again and said where are we taking the car? Are we going to Eagle Farm (the compound of the logistics firm who delivered the car) and they said yes and confirmed the address. When we got to Eagle Farm (almost an hour later) there was nobody there. I called again and asked if somebody should be meeting me and (a different person this time) said "oh I think there has been a communication mix up. Let me check". Then confirmed I had to be 40km down the highway - pretty close to whee I broke down in the first place. Luckily the truck driver dropped me home (nearby) and took the car.

Anyhoo so now I have to wait for the call tomorrow. Also need to chase them for a loan car. I can't be without a car Weds/Thurs this week.
Wow, that situation is really dangerous especially @110k's.
That was the same concern I raised with CS when trying to get an answer as to what caused my propulsion failure. No straight answer!
CS would not give a report on why it failed.
First it was a flat BUB then they said they swapped out the BUB, then a low 12v battery?
No real reason or DTC report, apparently it is "proprietary" information.
It looks like they did some sort of software work but CS would not confirm it.
I hope you have better luck trying to get information out of CS as to what caused the propulsion failure.

On a happier note, my PS2 has since covered a further 6500k's without an issue.:)

·
Registered
692 Posts
It sounds like that this propulsion error does not care for system versions. The question is, is yours a hoax type, or actually hardware part going bad? …. Hopefully you get a loaner end they find out quickly.
I hope to find out. Though if CQP*2's comment is anything to go by, I probably won't.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I got the warning the other week, the battery dropped by about 20%, then went back up when the error cleared. I've been watching the car in the app this morning to see when it got moved. First thing (before it got moved) the battery was about 20% down on how I left it but now that it has moved to the workshop, I can see if has gone back up. Not entirely sure what that means. They were supposed to be calling me to offer me a loaner while they haven't yet so I'll call them back shortly.

And if I get any info from them, I'll be sure to share it in here. Judging by the number of people seeing this and similar it is most definitely a common issue which Polestar needs to address.
Wow, that situation is really dangerous especially @110k's.
That was the same concern I raised with CS when trying to get an answer as to what caused my propulsion failure. No straight answer!
CS would not give a report on why it failed.
First it was a flat BUB then they said they swapped out the BUB, then a low 12v battery?
No real reason or DTC report, apparently it is "proprietary" information.
It looks like they did some sort of software work but CS would not confirm it.
I hope you have better luck trying to get information out of CS as to what caused the propulsion failure.

On a happier note, my PS2 has since covered a further 6500k's without an issue.:)
Glad to hear yours is good now. It is definitely a dangerous thing. It felt like I only had about 15 seconds from first warning to total failure. May have been more in the moment but that's what it felt like. On a 4 lane highway that really is not a long time to pull over safely and I could easily have been stranded in one of the middle lanes.

I will push for an answer but I'm not confident of gtting one.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,827 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I got the warning the other week, the battery dropped by about 20%, then went back up when the error cleared.
Sound like your high voltage battery control module is having some issues or the software is getting glitchy reporting non-sense figures. Others here have seen this behaviour as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It felt like I only had about 15 seconds from first warning to total failure.
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I got the warning the other week, the battery dropped by about 20%,
This is a exact copy & paste of my experience (on an XC40) and the issue was the BECM (Battery Energy Control Module). A sudden drop in battery percentage followed by the car just giving up the ghost. The only thing I could do was "bunny hop" / "jerk" the car out of the way. I was sent some photos of when they dropped the battery out of mine and had to open it up to replace the component. Those photos are here: 36hrs of ownership and the car is broken

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is a exact copy & paste of my experience (on an XC40) and the issue was the BECM (Battery Energy Control Module). A sudden drop in battery percentage followed by the car just giving up the ghost. The only thing I could do was "bunny hop" / "jerk" the car out of the way. I was sent some photos of when they dropped the battery out of mine and had to open it up to replace the component. Those photos are here: 36hrs of ownership and the car is broken
Oh wow! Thanks for that. I haven't had an update from them so far. I keep watching in the app to look for movement, battery drain or any clue that something is happening. The doors were actually left open all night and now they are closed but unlocked. Probably means absolutely nothing but with Polestar's inability to communicate, I need to do something to stay sane :D

Worst part is it is school holidays here and there is literally not a single rental car available anywhere in the city. I found a couple of commercial vehicles but no passenger cars. Crazy!

·
Registered
MY22 Void SRSM Pilot/Plus/Leather
1,262 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I got the warning the other week, the battery dropped by about 20%, then went back up when the error cleared.
Oh no. There was a case on Whingepool earlier this year of an XC40 Recharge showing these exact symptoms, which ended up being off the road for 14 15weeks (although 2 weeks of that was because the only tech available had COVID) with a failed BECM

EDIT: And apparently I should have read through the thread further 😂 because @dreamension is that person, also I was off by one week in my memory of the event

21 - 40 of 52 Posts